Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My wipers are messed up...

Ok, in my 87 RX my wipers have 3 positions. Off, Lo, and High.

I seem to remember my last RX had intermittant, as does my '86 wagon with the controls on the dash.

Also, the wipers don't ever return, then stop whenever you turn it to off. Whether they be up, down, or half way in between. I also seem to remember my last 87 RX not doing this.

So... what wiper control stalk to I need to get, and why was this ever changed? Will simply changing out the stalk give me both intermittant wipers, and the ability to turn the wiper off at any time and have them return to their parked position?

This is just the begining of a very long list for this blasted car...

He wants to know if theres a fix for his. Lets try and be helpful here folks.

I've looked in the FSM to see if theres a brain for the intermmitants, cant find it. I know pretty sure theres a relay under the dash, but ID'n it will be hit and miss because theres more than one in the same area and I think they are all alike. Wish I could be more certain on this but thats all I got right now.

Usually the wiper motor has a contact inside the motor that makes sure it stays on until the wiper is parked. The rear one works this way, for sure. If the wipers don't park, this contact could be burnt out, disconnected, wire cut, or there could be a problem with the wiper switch, as that is where the current comes from.

Not sure about the intermittent, I am not familiar with that vehicle, nor have I had to play with the intermittent function on my Loyale.

Ok. Let me try rephrasing this.

Is there a control stalk I can get that has the intermittant function?

I'll look into replacing the motor to get the wipers to "park" on their own.

They could be related... in most vehicals I have owned, when the intermittent stops functioning, it also stops parking itself -- sort of like the park function has to work for the intermittent function to do anything. not sure which causes which actually. But perhaps you do have have intermittent wipers, but they just aren't working any more because the motor park function went. Just an idea.

Gl should have intermitent.

GL-10 should have intermitent with adjuster.

my 87 GL-10 turbowagon had a little adjuster collar you could turn.

Maybe find one from a GL-10 sedan?? I do recall there being a little black box under the dash you had to grab.

Oh, really?? adjustable intermitent wipers....that would be sooooo sweet.

*digs out wiring diagrams...*

My stalk has 3 marked positions. OFF, LO, and HIGH

There is NO INTERMITTENT. It must be a stupid stalk off an DL.

I knew this car had issues, but downgrading my wipers? Come on... It wasn't that good of a deal. :-p

I bet they grabbed one from a lower model Loyale, and didn't notice. Should be pretty easy to swap once you get the wheel off.

GD

the brains for the Int wipers is under the dash. its a little blue box with about 12 wires going into it. if this is unpluged the wipers will not work at all.

the park function is part of the motor if i remember correctly. the motor has constent ign power, switched power and a ground, when you take power from the switched power, it then uses the constent power to park the wipers. i would suspect a bad motor.

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

the brains for the Int wipers is under the dash. its a little blue box with about 12 wires going into it. if this is unpluged the wipers will not work at all.

the park function is part of the motor if i remember correctly. the motor has constent ign power, switched power and a ground, when you take power from the switched power, it then uses the constent power to park the wipers. i would suspect a bad motor.

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

so that's what that stupid blue thing is for. I had to relocate it in order to get my EJ22 ECU in there.....and now it falls down in front of the clutch pedal all the time....gotta get out the zip ties

anyway, I wonder how hard it would be to retrofit the adjustable intermittent wipers onto a car that didn't have them....

tex. sorry for the little hijack...

but every GL and loyale that I've seen has had intermittent wipers, only the DLs didn't (including the '85/'86 ones, the switch was just on the dash....like we've already covered). I can't imagine that an RX wouldn't come with them. you're probably going to have to get the whole assembly (turn signal and wiper stalks) from a GL. hopefully the plugs didn't have to be modified to put the DL one in there.

and the sensor that allows the wiper arms to 'center' is in the motor itself. mine did what you describe after being parked for a couple years (worked fine before parking it). I figured I probalby would have to replace it anyway....so I took it apart, and cleaned some dust and dirt out of there, greased up the gears, and put it back together, and it worked. I couldn't describe how it came apart, or went together.....but I got lucky and it works perfectly now! *knock on wood*

Shouldn't 86 be on the dash? It is on my 86 sedan anyway. I thought 87 was the first year for the stalk mounted wiper control...

GD

True, it is. I should have stated that it was in the switch. Thats what it said in the FSM. I just pulled the dash out of a 86 T-Wagon, I'll look for that control unit. What Dave says is probably true, its the same unit on all the XT(6)'s. I just had to resolder a contact on one in my old XT6. I bet one of these could be retrofitted for adj speed int wipers.

Park function is usually controlled by a switch assembly on the wiper motor... sort of like a TPS. Once the motor turns a certain number of degrees off of its "parked" postition the motor will continue to receive power until it parks itself. The switches that I have seen (datsun/mitsubishi) used a circular switchbase with arched copper contact strips, and contact-wipers that move along them. On one car, the contact-wiper for the park function had broken off. My Datsun's had just gotten grungy on the contact strips.

My T-Loyale has no intermittent setting, my GLs have it, and my GL-10s have the adjustable intermittent (very nice).

• 4 weeks later...
Park function is usually controlled by a switch assembly on the wiper motor... sort of like a TPS. Once the motor turns a certain number of degrees off of its "parked" postition the motor will continue to receive power until it parks itself. The switches that I have seen (datsun/mitsubishi) used a circular switchbase with arched copper contact strips, and contact-wipers that move along them. On one car, the contact-wiper for the park function had broken off. My Datsun's had just gotten grungy on the contact strips.

My T-Loyale has no intermittent setting, my GLs have it, and my GL-10s have the adjustable intermittent (very nice).

older thread full of info... my wiper motor is excellent, nothing broken, lubed and aligned- no park function. I am certain the wiper controller kicks it around according to the wheel with contacts, not just the motor doing this. I have 2 motors verified as good, no complete park. there is one last run and I think it will park and..... it doesn't (both motors). if there is a precise alignment missing, would love to now the trick to it. also, the last part of parking brings a "click" from the controller..(mine doesn't anymore) can someone with a functioning old soob verify?

Any parts places with the wiper controller?

They keep the darndest things that last for half a century as overhead.. but one of the only electronics in my 87 is dead and there is no new replacement in sight ... :mad:

Have you opened the wiper motor gearbox to inspect the contacts on the gears? My first soob ('85 Turbo Wagon) had adjustable intermittent wipers that wouldn't work (and also stopped instantly wherever you turned the switch off).

To fix it, I opened the wiper motor gearbox cover (3 screws I think). Inside there were 2 or 3 contact arms that pressed down on the main gear in the gearbox. The main gear had metal traces embedded into parts of it so that at certain parts of the revolution, different contact arms were touching metal. One of the arms had jammed and bent. I bent it back carefully, and my wipers started working perfectly.