Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rotary powered AWD rx

I guy here in Aus had a EA81 coupe with a turbo'd 13b and WRX gearbox in it. That was until some idiot pulled out in front of him anyhow. I think he was going to fix it, but not sure. Pretty sure you'll find it in the members rides section on ausubaru.com forum.

there's also an XT in georgia (or used to be) with a rotary engine in it as well. i think there's even a picture of it on the Yahoo! XT6 group, but that's hardly used any more.

if thats the gray one with everything cut out on the hood, I think that was actually in WA, I tried to find more info on that one. but couldn't find his email address.

rotary engines are only useless if you don`t know how to drive them

keep your revs up and they are awesome;)

new rx8s are only 1100cc but if driven right, they can hang with a vett

Last time I checked the Rx-8 uses a version of the 13B a 1300cc... I've also owned 2 rx7s and might note that rotaries are good motors in light cars that don't need torque. The first gen Rx-7 was the best rotary car IMHO. Ohh and FYI any engine kept at high RPMs is awesome, its the low down that is the rotaries fatal flaw, and where a Subaru shines. I just prefer off the line power without having to rev the motor to 3 grand to get the car going.:grin:

3k rpms is nothing for a 13b:-p i used to rev mine up to 9k+ try that in sube. 13bs are meant for it, and need it for power. i find subes to be decent from 3k to about 4.5k, but before and after is kindof sluggish. don`t get me wrong tho, i love my ea81s:headbang:

rx8s might be a 1300 cc not sure:confused:

i thought the RX8 was a totally new motor, unrelated to the 13b in all ways.. BUT i have no data to support that. I just payed alot of attention to the vehicle when it was coming out.. rotary engines fascinate me, and always have.. but i havent owned one, myself. My dad had an 87 convertible rx7 a couple years ago, and it was great until the motor caught fire on my brother.. the JY replacement motor wasnt too hot, either.. but he had no $$$ to put into that thing, and was also low in the give-a-dam department at the time, too... :rolleyes:

Neat swap and good execution, but my god does that car look terrible...

As a current owner of a rotary car (83 Mazda RX7) and a fan of the engine in general, I guess I'll clear a few things up.

1. The RX8 has a 13b-derived engine, but with a different rotor design and relocated exhaust ports. The official engine code is 13B-MSP; it's 1.3L.

2. As a proponent of the rotary, I'll admit that putting one in a Subaru RX is a slightly silly swap. They work great in old British roadsters and the like because they are very light and the engine's lack of torque doesn't hurt them too badly. The 4WD Scoobs are just too heavy and rely too much on torque to make use of the rotary. Now, in a Subaru 360...:grin:

3. daeron...what the HELL did your bro do to get it to catch fire? :eek:

Might have been an issue with the one of the turbo oil lines.

I tore apart an 87 a couple years ago that got tasted when an oil line crapped and caught fire.

Thing is, convertibles were all N/A (unless he did a swap). And the non-turbo 13b's are actually pretty bulletproof, if hokey. I'm guessing a fuel line somewhere went and started spewing.