Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suggested Spark Plugs, Oil and filters

I am looking to do a little maintenance on the Sub.

she is an 87 spfi N/A D/R with 230k on so far. California Car

she is pinging when loaded with people and hot on acceleration. Due to this I was thinking of puting in cooler Plugs. I have NKGs right now. what is the appropriate gap?

any suggests on oil and filter brands. synthetic or not. is that even important if I change oil regularly.

NGK. .045" gap.

Castrol 10-30 high milage.

Baldwin Oil Filter

For pinging, I recommend: Treat with Seafoam, through the PCV valve. Twice. This will remove carbon from your combustion chambers, valves and piston crowns.

For tick of death: new oil pump seals/o rings.

The search function is your friend.

NGK. .045" gap.

Castrol 10-30 high milage.

Baldwin Oil Filter

For pinging, I recommend: Treat with Seafoam, through the PCV valve. Twice. This will remove carbon from your combustion chambers, valves and piston crowns.

For tick of death: new oil pump seals/o rings.

The search function is your friend.

I Agree! ... But for Pingin´ I Also wanna Suggest to Check the Ignition Timin´

Good Luck! :)

Fram sucks big time. Almost all the cars I see in the PAP here that died from a engine problems have a Fram filter on them. I have see the cut aways on the filters and they are built very cheaply, even the double guard.

For $6 you can get a Purolator.

Is this true?! I have been under the impression they were good, if not real good filters. I have always gotten the regular orange fram filters! You guys are sayin NAPA filters are good? DANG!:eek:

Dunno who told you Fram filters were good. They really are the worst built filters out on the market. (Note: Penzoil filters are just yellow Frams)

I usually pick up Bosch filters for like $3.50. Made by Champion, and the only filter the local auto parts store sells besides Fram.

Yup, you need the complete tune up. NGK plugs, NGK wires or Belden wires(NAPA), disty cap and rotor, check timing, change fuel filter(s), add some decent fuel system cleaner to your gas, SeaFoam, Chevron Techron, or Redline is good. Clean PCV, and clean EGR system :grin: ....

i would address this pinging noise first before going over board on tune up and fluid changes. obviously...ignition stuff and oil is important, but i'd focus on the pinging first before spending lots of money on unneccessary items. i'm not a pinging expert, so i can't comment, but i'd start asking what is pinging and how can you get rid of it. it can ruin your engine.

Fram's do indeed suck and any rebadged Fram is still a Fram. no need to mention my preference, it's already been mentioned and nearly all others are decent quality.

With the cars I have owned that have had pinging at one time or another, the cause was several different things. Bad gas, carbon buildup in the cylinders, timing was off, egr system not working or clogged solid with carbon, engine running hot, and mis-adjusted or worn out carb, faulty or worn out ignition parts.

Remember,your manual tells you:

"DO NOT USE CHAMPION SPARK PLUGS ON SPFI ENGINES".

Like the gang says,NGK all the way!

I get a discount so I typically use dealer filters.Oil-been going back to Castrol as a rebelion.Used the expensive Pennsylvania oils,very good,never a problem.Just don't go cheap.Do NOT use Walmart oil,etc.....

I use either NGK or Nippon Denso plugs - both are exceptional. For oil, I have used the Castrol semi synthetic on my Brat for the past 2 to 3 times. Prior to that, I used the regular GTX mostly. For spark plug wires, I need to upgrade to NGK's. I use NGK wires on the two Nissan's. For the wires, try www.ngk.com. I have purchased from them in the past and they are an excellent outfit and an authorized NGK dealer. For oil filters, I use the Nissan OEM filter, part number 15208-55Y00 for my 1987 Brat. These filters are <$5 and I buy several at a time. This oil filter may not apply to your vehicle.

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. it's the exact parts that were original on the vehicle, basically - what you would get if you bought parts from the dealer. NGK are the plugs originally installed in Subaru's so they are the OEM part and are available from your dealer for $30-$40 per set or the local parts store for $8 a set. same part.

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. it's the exact parts that were original on the vehicle, basically - what you would get if you bought parts from the dealer. NGK are the plugs originally installed in Subaru's so they are the OEM part and are available from your dealer for $30-$40 per set or the local parts store for $8 a set. same part.

My research indicates that they were shipped here without plugs, and each dealer was to install them. Thus it was left up to them to decide the brand they used. Old guy that owned my sedan had circled the champion's in the owners manual as the original plugs.

GD