Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Toughest thing you've seen a subie do?

Phizinza

Alright.. I post today because I want to know what you've seen subies do. I was going to make this a "with your own eyes" only but I've changed my mind. So if you seen it on video only that is cool too.

A link to pictures or videos would be ideal, but a good discription would do as well.

Show/tell me what you've got. I am keen to know.

I would post but about the most extreme thing I've seen a subie do that isn't just doing a huge jump (I don't classifie getting massive air as a offroad acheivement) would be driving through a lake and losing traction with the bottom (rattletoaustin's trip?) Or... no, I am not really impressed with what I've seen so far.

See everyone makes out that subarus are better then most other 4WD's. But everything I have seen shows me you have to do quite a lot of mods just to come up against good 4WD's.. Can't say I have faith in Subarus as good offroaders. Although they make great cross over vehicles (on-road to off-road.)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tryin ta start a fight mate?;)

By no means... I just want to see what all these people are going on about.

I think my problem why I can't do any extreme (break something) offroading is because they have closed all the gates to the good spots and they wern't that good anyhow.

I just want to see a Subaru doing something a slightly modified other 4WD can't.

People who get into hardcore wheeling switch to toyotas or samuris. Solid axels front and rear can't be beat. The wheeling we do with our subies is impressive because we got there in a CAR. The trails can be nasty, rutted, and rooted, but nothing to the people who run rockwells and 40" boggers turned by a 500cu caddy engine.

So do we do insane wheeling? Depends on the context you put it in. Also remember that a lot of the stuff we do isn't caught on tape. We're too busy working on wheel placement to care about videoing it.

i'll get some arizona rock crawling pics next month. just keep an eye out. true a lot of people have switched to toyota's and stuff years down the road (me included). but subaru's are way too much fun to give up all together and the comunity in washington is awesome! when i get lil roo all the way back on the road, i'll get some pics on the rocks. the only pics i have of crawling with the subaru is the lake isabel trail in washington. but they weren't digital and well before my cars dual cases and 8"lift. i'll get you some pics... but patience young grasshopper. there's some that have some good pics around here though!

That's why I said a good discription would do..

I'm not talking about things heavliy modified trucks can do. Take this for instance. I went to the dunes with a mate of mine. He has a un touched 97 Daihatsu Feroza SX II. As in H/T's, stock diffs, no lockers, no lift, 1400kg stock, blah blah blah. So we get to this dune which is named "the wall of death". It was easy to go up, so we started right at the bottom and slowly incressed our run up by a meter at a time. I made it up with about 8 meters of run up (this is on hard rock surface, then it goes to soft sand up the hill.) He made it up with about 9-10 meters run up. I have a EA81DC Brat with a 2" lift, welded rear diff, 1150kg stock, 27" Kumho mud terrains and I'm not afraid to thrash it.. The way I see it, our "cars" are nothing more then light dirt vehicles when stock compared to a stock small 4WD.

And another time I was going up a sand hill (yes, that is all we have here in South Australia) I could only go up what the Bits-r-missin Pajero with M/T's and a Diff locker. And that thing weights over 2200kg..

I don't want to argue that Subies are crud, I believe they are really good for road driving and light offroading. I just want to see/hear what some people have done in them. Because I think I, and many others, was giving the wrong impression that Subarus are great offroaders.

I've done some pretty tough stuff in my Subaru's over the years, I break lots of things as a result :)

I'll hunt through some videos, but here's a good starting example:

rock climb

The only other person to do it successfully was a Patrol with over AU$100k sunk into it with 5" lift, lockers all round, and all the fruit you can think of.

1987 soobie wag d/r 4wd 5 spd. carbed and completely stock. with a towstrap, pulled a 1964 stepside chevy pickup straight 6 3 spd up about 1/8 mile uphill. here's a pic so you can sorda get an idea of how steep it is. it's not INSANELY steep... but it was steep enough. 4 lo in 1st did it just fine. DSC_0101.jpg

there's the car that did it. the only reason I think most 4wd vehicles wouldn't do it is simply because owners of those vehicles are pansys and don't wanna risk breaking anything.

well being a passenger most of the time i have had some pretty fun experiences with my cousin (Jibs) one pretty cool one was at wcss8 andwe were heading through a section of woops and he floors it out the last one,....the front end launches at least 3 ft in the air and we slam down on the oil pan..(no skid plate or any protective anything) and keep on going as if nothing happened........if soobmater finds this thread i believe he's the one who got the picture. CLAY!!!!!! POST THE PIC!!! :Flame:

A little redneck fun..... My '84 Brat with 197k on it drug a '87 Nissan Sentra 4 door with no tires around the woods outside Shelton for 3 hours at 30mph. :banana: No overheating or odd noises. 3 hours of hilarious stunts and then we towed it to the main road to get it hauled off. :dead: Someone had dumped it out there. I know it was covered before, but why do people always dump their sh*t in the woods? :confused:

A

See everyone makes out that subarus are better then most other 4WD's. But everything I have seen shows me you have to do quite a lot of mods just to come up against good 4WD's.. Can't say I have faith in Subarus as good offroaders. Although they make great cross over vehicles (on-road to off-road.)

Sorry to hear you think that.

I saw Ken's brat go up Cadillac Hill at the Rubicon. Filmed it too.

I drove a 3 inch lifted hatch with an LSD and 26 inch Coopers up the upper 311 trail at Evans Creek. Did it with a Brat with the same specs. If that's not impressive offroading with a Soobie, nothing is.

EC_Map.jpg

100_0096.jpg

Jb's brat :headbang:

I've did some pretty crazy stuff myself, and a lot of it comes down to if you got the balls to do it or not.. I have to admit, i use to be really careful with my car, but recently, lol no..

Ok, i'll tell my story.. There is a local place that we call the "church ranch" Some of the holes out there are very deep, well right now since its the middle of winter, some of the holes out there are 4+feet deep.. With ruts that are close to a foot and a halve... Back before it filled up, and the holes were only about 2 feet deep or so, i made it threw all the holes in 2wd, with my all terrains on.. My friends were getting stuck in 4wd.. Alot of it has to do that i would hit the holes well over redlining...

Then after it started raining a lot, i put my super swampers on and what not, and everything out there was 4wd only, my first trip it did alright, then i went threw this sunken road (a lot of water came inside so it must of been deep) and my disty got soaked and died..

Then next trip out, i used a tube of greese on my disty :) Keept the water out real good.. I then made it threw every hole that i attempted..

Now i will list the rigs that have got stuck there

94 toyota, 10" lift, 38 " swampers

Ford ranger, 6" lift 35" toyo m/ts

Nissan 4wd, stock with 29's

Dodge 1500, 2" lift with 33" wild countrys

Dodge stock with 31" m/ts

These are just the rigs that got stuck that i seen.. I know there has been a lot more..

But yea, subies rule:banana: Its also funny watching the fullsize trucks trying to follow you on four wheeler trails :lol:

I just want to see a Subaru doing something a slightly modified other 4WD can't.

A Subaru can fit on a two-track trail (atv trail) and haul rump roast rallycross style without fear of losing mirrors or spanking a tree thats close to the trail. Other than the densely forested portions, single-track trails are no issue either.

In other words, "other trucks" are too big. I've done plenty of things and fit in plenty more places with my Brat than my Bronco can get into. Only other 4x4 thats got a chance is a Sammy thats still at stock width.

Ok.. I think I have a problem with my understanding of offroading and 4WDing. :-\

I can see that Subies are great rally cross and fun cars to drive. But what I want to see is slow stuff. Tough rocks to crawl on, deep water, slipery hill climbs. Not getting air (I know it's fun, and I've done it before, but I really don't classify it as 4WDing. It's more in the "fun" department.) Which is fine by me.

I don't mean to be ignorant, but I really can't see why you would need even $20K in mods to a decent 4WD to get up that hill Stinky. Although it was impressive to see the subie go up there. :)

my mud water wasnt deep enough for you? my wagon is stock....
That's pretty good for stock. But I really want to see what a modified subie can do, perhaps one with a t-case and some 29+ inch tires.

Some quick google video searching brought up these videos. This is the sort of stuff I want to see a modded subie go through.

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=-1527040215531229692&q=extreme+offroading

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=-4229393320554514478&q=4wd

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=5412194443377654082&q=4x4+competition

The last one looks like they are on a budget, most of them don't even have rear lockers..

Although I reckon a fair bit of it some subies could get through. I would just like to see some subies doing that kind of stuff, that's all.

This stuff ain't to bad I reckon, but about the best I've seen subarus do

http://www.loghomefamily.org/subaru/ (Thanks Rollie715 for sharing that with us)

Ok.. I think I have a problem with my understanding of offroading and 4WDing. :-\

I can see that Subies are great rally cross and fun cars to drive. But what I want to see is slow stuff. Tough rocks to crawl on, deep water, slipery hill climbs. Not getting air (I know it's fun, and I've done it before, but I really don't classify it as 4WDing. It's more in the "fun" department.) Which is fine by me.

By looking at your example videos, I'd have to say that that's the stuff that most of us do on a regular basis. There was nothing hardcore about that stuff.

I do mudholes and hillclimbs equal to those, but i'm in the middle of the woods, not some fields. Rivercrossings, driving though ponds, lots of that stuff. My problem is that I go wheeling alone most of the time. My friends have moved up to trucks too pretty to wheel. So, no one to video.

By looking at your example videos, I'd have to say that that's the stuff that most of us do on a regular basis. There was nothing hardcore about that stuff.

I do mudholes and hillclimbs equal to those, but i'm in the middle of the woods, not some fields. Rivercrossings, driving though ponds, lots of that stuff. My problem is that I go wheeling alone most of the time. My friends have moved up to trucks too pretty to wheel. So, no one to video.

I heard a rumor about a pretty sweet Soob off road vid coming out on DVD. ;)

I'm not saying I doubt that subies do this kinda stuff. I'm just saying I want to see it. You see the best I have near me that isn't closed is a couple of creek crossings (which if you knew South Australia, you would know there is no water in creeks.) And a lot of sand dunes. Which quite frankly aren't impressive to me as offroad material.

Can the DVD be shipped to Australia for me? I'll pay the extra postage.

I've done many black diamond trails up here. Watched morgan do part of the rock gorge:

3242PICT0646.JPG

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/offroad/jul05_crawl4cure/morganm_rock_gorge_01.AVI

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/offroad/jul05_crawl4cure/morganm_rock_gorge_02.AVI

(first 1/3 or so of this trail)

stitchedgorge.jpg

I made it through tail-pipe alley at the Iron-Range OHV park.....had a lot of jeep guys standing around going :eek:

the car barely made it home. that was the day I decided that with the equipment I have, or lack thereof (garage and welder to be exact), a subaru wasn't going to cut it. and I really hate rock crawling with a 5-speed, not to mention the smell of burning clutch. I'm just mad that we didn't get it on video (although we did get my buddies jeep the next day...available on DVD...pm me if you'd like).

subarus make awesome trail riders, but they lack so much to be doing rock crawling. yes, you can weld the rear end, and throw in a divorced tcase, and make beefy control arms and radius rods. but that's alot of work (or money for those of us that would have to pay for the fabrication), and you've still got a 5-speed. I'll have a running toyota with an auto, more flex, better gears, and 35s for about $2k....