Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Toughest thing you've seen a subie do?

Phizinza

Yeah, it's annoying about that, they are also only 197mm wide... At the moment I am thinking wider is better. That's what you see on most extreme offroaders, and is also better in sand.

Anyone know if BFGoodrich are truthfully the size they say. I was thinking of some 235/75R15 MT's or some Toyo 225/70R15 AT's...

Well it just depends what you personally prefer. For sand, wide definatly is better, same with powder snow.. But around here, there aint much sand, and hell there ain't much snow either :lol:

I'm not sure if BFG's are true on size or not. but i do know that 235/75/15's measure out to like 28.9" or something like that..

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so then soobmater do you run fat tires or skinnies?I run fat tires because subaru's are light and don't actually have a ton of body-ground clearance so you can't sink to much.But then my tires are 205/60/15 on redrilled chevy's.

in the grand scheme of things, 205s are very skinny tires. I had 215s on my blue wagon, and the Poopenvagon had 230s.

my 4Runner has 10.5" (265mm) wide tires on it, and will be getting 12.5" (315) wides....those are getting to be some pretty fat tires.

there really isn't that much option when you're talking about subarus. when you're only dealing with 27-29" tall tires, they're pretty much all skinny. you can't buy 28x12.5 on 14/15 inch tires. that'd be like a 315/55r15.

for perspective. a WRX comes with 205/55r16s

Maybe it's just the differences in terrain between the PNW and southern arizona, however:

The biggest downfall subarus have is lack of gearing and suspension travel.

In order to get into offroad tires, you have to either cut up the fenders and/or lift it.

The gearing - have you ever been in really soft sand? My suby got bogged down and stuck hundreds of times in that stuff; even after adding the high comp engine with the Webber, then converting to SPFI. Rocks - It's like, driving an auto: bring it up to 2-3K and slip the clutch to get enough power to get over that rock, then when you get to the top, jump on the binders so you don't slam on the under carrage on that same rock. Then there's the lack of suspension travel issue: the only reason I con't get through a trail is not because of getting hung up on the under carrage; it's the wheel can't move far enough to make contact to the ground - opposite corners off the ground. You can discaonnect the anti-sway bar It helps, but not enough.

Now, it can be done: The Rubicon run back a few years was proof that the right modded subaru can go through some tough trails with the right driver. Look at QMan's Brat: he's lifted it enough to get a t-case under there and a solid axle in the rear. Why? more flex and gearing. Same thing with lill roo, mod it enough to get the gearing that's so needed in off roading.

That's why I switched to my sportage: it's 1st gear is equivelent to 1st+4lo on my Suby. 1.97 LO range, and 4.11s in the diffs. I didn't have to lift it to put 29" all terrain tires on it. The suspension flex is awsome. (On the same trail, where I'm on and off the throtle and clutch in Suby, I just let my sportage idle right through, don't even have to touch the throttle.) It currently has open diffs front and rear, but even with the added LSD in Suby, I'm able to go much farther in my Sportage. It get's the same mileage as my suby did (20-23). It breaks just as often. I did loose some performance, but it gets me through places that I would had to turn around and order a lift and at least 27" tires for Suby. And, it's built like a truck.

Suby will see dirt roads to rallycross on, the one snow day we have down here, and the street. Subarus are all weather cars. Subaru built them to last 200K reliable miles, so they're tough. That's why we can beat on them like this and they just keep on puttin along with not even a squeek - they love to play in the dirt. But, when the going get's rough, I'll take my Sportage. That's what it was designed for.

a kia sportage? I thought thouse were the cute micro SUV's that were built mostly for fuel economy.

Most people here refer to that kind of car as a "soft roader". I am starting to call my subaru a soft roader too, kinda confuses people. But really it's not much better then some stock 4x4's.

It is a micro SUV. But, with a body on frame construction, a truck tranny and transfer case, it's built very solid. Alot of people don't like them cause they're slow and quarky. MY Suby was quarky too. In fact, all six of the roos in our family are quarky. THe only sane one in the bunch is BillyBob (the outback) and the two Fords. Well, not if you count the trouble getting BillyBob's heart transplant finished; but, that's a differnet thread.

The Sportage is a very capable off-roader. It takes the daily driver/weekend worrior field very well. As far as getting stuck: sure, they get stuck. So do subarus. But, tires make a world of difference. When I switched from street tires to all terrains, that allowed me to go much farther in two wheel drive. Like I said, Subarus are awesome cars and they have they're place. And I still love 'em, but in this part of the country, the Sportage does much better.

when the going get's rough, I'll take my Sportage. That's what it was designed for.

If this is what you are refering to

00kiasportage.jpg

Uhm lol....

If you ever plan on going on vacation to washington, Make sure you take you're sportage with you.. I got a nice new tow strap we can test out :rolleyes:

Maybe where your at this fits you perfect.. But i know sure as hell, around here, you would spend more time hooking up lines and straps to it then offroading it...

I know one of the things that helps these subarus is the ground clearance. I know we dont have a ton of body clearance, but ground clearance is more useful anyway.. I go threw ruts all the time that trucks get hung up on. Of course, full throttle makes things more interesting :cool:

survive me for 7 years. list of damage I tried to incure is too large: setting brakes on fire, jumping at burning man, 4 or five crashes, carrying WAY beyond the rated capacity, trying to get poshes to chace me on tight corners, all of this from an 82 dl wagon. I eventually wrote to subaru and got given the indiana jone of subaru driving award and a free test drive that I never took them up on.

The Rubicon run back a few years was proof that the right modded subaru can go through some tough trails with the right driver. Look at QMan's Brat: he's lifted it enough to get a t-case under there and a solid axle in the rear. Why? more flex and gearing.

For the record. . . When we did the Subarubicon, Qman's Brat only had a PK 4/3 lift and 27/9.50 swampers on it. He did indeed swap in a 5 speed dual range and weld the rear diff.

The solid axle and t-case didn't come till later.

The kia you drive would have no business there. So. Untill you can show us some good photos or vids of your kia out playing, you really have no business in this thread (which asks for the most impressive thing you've seen a SUBARU do) talking down the Subarus and talking up your kia.

Wow......I usually dont post like this, but somebody talking up a Kia Sportage (and calling it better than a subaru) is just too much for me.

Speaking as one that used to work for the Kia dealership, I can say very little about the quality of these particular vehicles.

The 4wd is notorious for failure, due to hub vacuum leaks, and was actually part of a HUGE recall program. Also every time we saw much more than 5 below zero, we'd get 20 calls from sportage owners that were stranded with no-start situations.:-\

Ive seen VERY few that WERENT problematic, and more than one that got stuck on a flat snowy parking lot when the 4wd failed.

Soooooo......when the 'ol four wheel peel quits on ya (and it WILL) I hope its a subaru that gets the pleasure of pullin ya out!:Flame:

Ok, heres one. How about me and my Hatch going thru the mud bog at WCSS8? I can post a pic later, I'm on my laptop right now.

Last weekend while up at Evans Crk I had to turn around on 311 and come back up to help Qman. My Hatch went thru the rough spot at the top like it was nothing. Having the divorced t-case and lower gears has made a world of difference:headbang:

soobmater, what size tires you running? I'm using the kumho 27x8.5's. I get the feeling wider is better and I also get the feeling subies can't take much more then about 255mm wide before it starts getting abnormal bearing wear because of the extra offset you need to clear the springs..

I'm running 30x11.50x15 on my Hatch. I've logged 100's of miles(most on road) and havent had any wheel bearing problems............yet.

I'm running 30x11.50x15 on my Hatch. I've logged 100's of miles(most on road) and havent had any wheel bearing problems............yet.

That's a good thing to hear. We are planning of doing the t-case mod to my brothers 83wagon. Which will be running on tires probably similar to yours. When we do this, I reckon I will have a new look on modified subarus for offroad. And maybe when I get the 2.2 in my Brat I will find it a little better offroad.

As for the whole Kia discussion (those for and against it) ..... ahahahaha. You guys need to settle down. Who cares if someone thinks their little Kia can beat your roo. Just say one thing, and one thing only "if you think it is better, prove it now."