Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how many miles on average sube clutch?

Ditto on clutch riding. I know the previous owner rode it and we replaced it at around 60k! I was amazed.

We'll see how long the replacement lasts. I tow loaded trailers of firewood in hilly terrain. I wish I had the low-range that the Australians get in theirs.

My 2001 Forester had its clutch replaced due to slipping at 75k because the previous owner rode the clutch too much. Cars that I have owned never get clutch replaced. But then, I am flatlanding and not towing, no heavy loads etc.

my 94 legacy is going past 165,000 right now and as far as i know,it still has original clutch..

i do some aggressive driving,no towing,up/down hills..no slipping

(now i gotta find out if it's ever been changed):confused:

146k miles on my '98 Outback. The clutch pedal goes almost to the floor before it kicks in, but it doesn't slip and I've put 3k on it like that. Living life on the edge. :brow:

John Wilke

Milwaukee

Ah, but how about this...

Do you think the hill holder will reduce the life of the clutch?

The Hill-Holder should increase the life of the clutch, as you don't have to rev up extra high to catch yourself on a hill.

My Legacy's clutch went out at exactly, and I mean exactly, 110k. I used to downshift a lot though.

My '89 Justy's clutch lasted until about 110K. It probably would have lasted much longer but I was a kid and I learned to drive stick the day I drove (lurped) it off the lot, so I am sure for a few thousand miles it went thru abuse more severely than typical.

146k miles on my '98 Outback. The clutch pedal goes almost to the floor before it kicks in

There's adjustment for that where the cable meets the fork (assuming you have cable).

I added a couple of nuts as a spacer to remove slack, then adjusted the clutch sensor. My pedal throw is half what it was stock.

I have 169K on my 98 OBW clutch and I have this stupid story about my clutch. In Aug 05, I did an oil change and put in Mobile One and that winter, my clutch made all kinds of noise..slipping, chatter, I could hear the throw-out bearing working and everything. I thought it would blow out at any time. I went all winter like that. Next oil change, put the high mileage Castrol back in and have not heard a peep out of my clutch since. I know its not related, but man this is weird......