Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I hate my XT6 with Every little peice of my Soul

.. After its latest adventure..I have come to the conclusion I hate this car...Wensday..while 150 miles from home .Rock desides that he wants to blow an intake manifold gasket...spewing antifreeze all over the motor..fouling out plugs..etc etc.. Come to find that the bolts were loose but because the Rad caps were garbage it never built up pressure..I added new caps and what started as basically an un-noticeable leak turns into a major mess. We ( Melis Dave and Myself) try to fix it but no good...so I get stuck in PA overnight...Its was cool cause I called Turbone just to have someone to harrass( instead of going into my usual panick mode)..The next day Tommy takes off work and comes down and gets me...So today..we leave early to run back to PA to fix the car..Dave already has the old gasket out and the new ones are supposed to be there...well they didnt make it..but we were able to get the old one from Melis spare motor to work...:banana: .water leak fixed...but not until after having one spark plug wire fall apart...and having to get water out of the cylinders.( It shot about 5 feet from the car)..get the wire back together..whole car together ..take it for a spin..OK air bubble..fix..car runs fine and head for home...first 40 miles no problem..stop for gas..getting back on the highway...sputters a bit . well the longer I drove the worse the it got..to the point it was backfiring..stop at a rest stop..check all wires and vac lines..all good..get back on the highway..all is good...for about 10 minutes then its back to backfiring.

Anytime I put the clutch in it shuts off...and if it was below 70mph it had even less power then my EA82:eek: .Go through a toll booth and it took a mile and a half to get it up to 60!..by this time I am soooo pissed. I finally limp the car home..by getting off the highway and keeping it in 3rd gear the rest of the way home. When we got to the house tommy hops out of his truck and runs into the garage and hides the sledge hammer cause he knows I was heading for it.

I am so tired of this car...everytime I have plans that require it something happens..and this time it will throw a major kink into thing since it has to be in NC by Friday...and if changing the plugs tomorrow and the plug wires as soon as I can get some shipped in... doesnt fix it..I am 100% done with it..

I absolutely HATE this car

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, i feel the same way about my cars. Accept the other way around. I love my XT6 and i hate my loyale, for pretty much the same reasons listed. Accept my loyale also eats wheel hubs for some reason that i can't figure out. But ive gone through 5, 2 on left, 3 on right, its a fwd.

Funny, i feel the same way about my cars. Accept the other way around. I love my XT6 and i hate my loyale, for pretty much the same reasons listed. Accept my loyale also eats wheel hubs for some reason that i can't figure out. But ive gone through 5, 2 on left, 3 on right, its a fwd.

My Loyale has been amazing..and has never let me sit..this XT6 has kept me in the poor house...I am into the $2500 range for repairs on it..and now tomorrow I will be dishing out another $50-$60 for ...what I hope..fixes the problem...This car has some demon possessing it ..all I know is I never want another one when this one goes. OH.. should I mention to you...that it has a new motor in it also...and its still garbage

Check the connections for the fuel injectors. Since you were pulling all that stuff off, it's possible one or more is loose therefore no power.

Also...is it loosing coolant, maybe sucking it in? (again?)

You can bring Bucky to the dragon. People have driven worse cars there (me = dodge stratus one year due to XT failure, Jeffast = Volvo wagon, the list goes on I'm sure....)

Seems likely to me this new problem is nothing more than a major vacuum leak. Good chance during/after replacing those gaskets one or more vacuum lines were overlooked or came apart. If the engine can pull air downstream of the AFM, it will and since the ECU sees little airflow through the AFM it thinks the engine is at idle.

Connie... sit back... now BREATHE! In, out... you know the drill. It'll be fine kiddo. These cars cost money we don't have. What does a branny new shiny '07 cost... WAY more, with no where the glamor :)

I decided to call the '78 Woodstock after the Peanuts character. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock_%28Peanuts%29

It's more a love/hate/acceptance deal. Smello Yellow quit when it got fixed. The Lemon... well, that's to be determined. For now it's Woodstock... drives a little wanky... can't always stay on course... Tim still hates it, but fiercely protects it. Weird parallel to Snoopy and Woodstock... funny Woodstock is yellow too! I LOVE Peanuts... inspirational characters to live by... but that's an off topic thread.

So... no giving up... ya' hear! YOU were the one badgering the most when I had all this BS! 'member missy? I took it to heart and have what I think is a great car :) Thanks for that Connie.

Have to edit: I can't even help with your mechanical problems... hard as I've tried to learn, I STILL have no clue how the wheels on the bus go round and round. I can change parts, but don't know why. Sad.

You can bring Bucky to the dragon. People have driven worse cars there (me = dodge stratus one year due to XT failure, Jeffast = Volvo wagon, the list goes on I'm sure....)

+1... I remember the first year I went and Paul(IIRC) brought Huck a bike or something and as such drove an F-150... which he "converted" to an SVX by putting some duct tape on the windows... awesome.

Anyway, check for vac leaks... if it's that bad I'd check the brake booster connection or the intake track for looseness or leaks... including the PCV as those old hoses tend to crack when played with.

My second thought is ignition timing... did anyone play with the dizzy at all... maybe it's loose?

Keep at it Girl... it's a great car, just not used to you yet. When I first got my 6, the first year was hell... within the first 6 months I broke the front diff... which lead me to a tranny swap that took me forever to do.... then after forever the car was on the road again... 2 WEEKS LATER the headgaskets started pouring coolant out of them:dead: I was broke for the tranny swap and it took me another 6 months to afford to get the car back together(my mother actually lent me money to get it out of her garage, again.)

Just keep at it, a running 6 is a beautiful thing.:headbang:

I second Phil's comments. I just got through alot of pain and frustration with Molly, but I think I have finally got her to the point I really like driving her. Don't let ol' Rock get to you; just keep at him. Definately don't let him sour you on all XT6es, as they are some of the coolest cars ever made (you know the feeling you get driving him when he is acting normal... I know it).

Yea it sounds like you have a large vacuum leak or like you said fouled plugs or no good wires. Thats how i felt with my RX, constant problems, till i hated the car, i had to sell it because i couldnt keep a car i hated. My Mazda 626 i got a month or so ago hasnt givin me a problem yet. My Subaru had a NEW motor in it too, thats funny how that works doesnt it.

Bucky cannot go to the dragon..not till he gets new tires and both front axles..Believe me..I would drive that car across country without a second thought...my Imp still needs gas tank repair and registered...either one would take about all the money I have right now to do. If worse comes to worse we can bring the Toyota gas hog...Its just the point..right now its my daily driver and I cannot trust it. I cant even get to start working on the back-ups cause right now the main is always broke down.

Its not sucking any water...and we checked all the vaccuum lines and we checked all the connections around the stack...Ditsy wasnt touched..Ben thinks the CTS cause thats what his does when he took his out..if thats the case then mine has to be bad casue I already did the fix...and what a joy thats going to be to find a new one around here or get one shipped in ..in time to take to work and solder wires on etc etc.

I dont know what the feeling is that I am supposed to get when its running right ..cause it has broken down so much I never feel good running it.

Also....when I get into a bind with it ..its not like I can make a phone call and have someone local give me some hands of help...I can get alot of help from here or from a couple people many many miles away. And you all know..half the time..without seeing it..all you can do is take guesses...and those guesses are what makes everything seem like a mountain. And Tommy IS NOT a car person. All this encourage ment and self experience is good...but non of you are talking about yours being your daily driver also....well maybe Jim with Molly cause Ruby Sue was getting rebuilt

Its a no go..no one can get any plug wires in till MAYBE next friday.. Its done..I am tired of this whole thing. Like I said .. I checked the vaccuum...all lines are on..you want to know how much its producing then why dont you come and check it..I dont have the equiptment for all of this. The car is garbage.. and if I could have the money back I put into trying to save the thing maybe I would have a legal car to drive ..OH should I mention that besides Tommys truck the XT6 is the only legal car we have on the road..Bucky isnt...the Imp isnt...But hey..who cares right??

Not sure what I can do to help but call if you need to. I'll be up all day,or should,right through 'till 8AM. There's an XT engine here but it's a 4cyl. :-\ Yours if you want it,just take it.

As for your 6 take it easy,look at everything from the plenum not being tightened down to ...... everything. Gimme some time and I'll call you to see how things are going.

Connie, I just had another thought...when Rocky was spraying antifreeze, it could have gotten in the distributer cap, which would cause the miss....

Just a late thought...

(and all 4 of FrankenWedges axles need replacing...and his clutch....but he WILL be at the Dragon)

Hey Connie,

Just heard the bad news! Man that sound's terable:eek: But don't give up! Just calm down and think about all the problem's and put it all together! It'll all work out you'll! You should see when my parent's 99 Blazer S-10 has a problem, My mom has a panic thing and my dad is pretty cool. He just try's to figure it out!!! So i know from alot of hard car time's it will all work out!:)

Take care, Tom..................

Connie, I just had another thought...when Rocky was spraying antifreeze, it could have gotten in the distributer cap, which would cause the miss....

Just a late thought...

(and all 4 of FrankenWedges axles need replacing...and his clutch....but he WILL be at the Dragon)

Huck...think we may have gotten it....put in a new(used) coil and ..so far seems ok.OH Rock needs 2 axles and a new clutch :lol: too. . I am just debating ..if it is this coil for sure..if I want to buy a new one or keep the old one I put in...in...I know the Accels have a terrible reputation..but what about other brands? And if it acts up on today ..since I am taking him to work..I am just going to pick up a new CTS and toss it in quick.

And like mentioned...if worse comes to worse...we will just use the Toy ..at least we will be making it ..and I can make some Subaru badges for it

Well the crapheap made it to work no problems...even took it up above 95mph:eek: to try and heat up that coil ..basically trying to make it fail...so far no probs

I saw crapheap and i just :lol: . YAY!

You'll get there........ Even when they are not right they are still fun. :)

Hey, at least he doesn't pitch rods like my first two daily drivers did; (CAUTION:RANT) a Volvo and a Celica, and they are SUPPOSED to be reliable. You'll get through it, all the cars I have had were like that, the Hatch was just one thing after another, the Celica, I bought a transmission for just before it pitched the rod, the Volvo, well, I'm not quite sure what I got for that thing when all was said and done. We had to redo the brakes on the Coupe I got from Milemaker-they stopped working when my friend was in rush-hour traffic on the interstate. (Rant complete) These things happen, and it is NEVER the end of the world, you just have to beat them until they give for you, which eventually happens, I'm told.

Well the crapheap..oops I mean Rocky made it home fine..even stopped at the little roadside farm stand to shoot the poo with the one girl who works there and get some veggies...left Rocky running..no problems...just wondering how log its going to take for the burning coolant smell to vacate..I have that smell..and its still lingering