Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How cold has your Subie been?

Must be documented by a dash thermometer pic!!!

Stories don't count.:lol:

This morining my Subie was 13 as evidenced by the pic.

The coldest I've ever seen it regester is 5 degrees.

It was -18 last night but no pics!!!

I'm sure 13 is not a winner.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=584&perpage=12&sort=3

So...how cold has your Subie been?

Well 69 subaru's don't have a dash thermometer:-\ It was 15 this morning and the 360 fired up on the first try. :headbang:

The '00 Legaback didn't have a thermometer either, since it started out as a Brighton ... so you'll have to trust me. :lol:

-27 deg F in Kalispell, MT. Started right up, but made some gawdawful complaint noises.

The '87 GL parked right next to it started up fine too ... and sounded even worse! :slobber:

The '06 Outback is SO spoiled ... it's never spent a night outside of a heated garage, either us or the previous owner (who lives next door).

-29, no pic (Thermometer was in the truck, but it was so cold the display wasn't showing anything, just blank) Truck started just fine cuz I had the block heater plugged in, but the Subaru took about 1/2 a can of starting fluid before it finally caught long enough to stay running!

The Brighton started last year at -35C° (-31F°). It took no longer than usual but the unhappy noises the engine made during the first few minutes almost broke my heart.:eek:

I know. my 04 obw saw 5f the other day.She ran fine but the ticking noises the first 5 min are so sad.But are nothing compared to my mom's Rodeo(it sqeals realy loud).

• 3 weeks later...

last night, the brat started and it was -5 F

today, right now, the legacy and -10F actual, windchill is -25F it took 8 miles to get enough heat to stay warm. power antenna was slow, and the blower controls were frozen. power steering was little tight due to cold fluids too.....wow. -10F actual, today.

Reminds me of a test i saw on tv a few months ago. Testing the airbus A380 - they flew it to the arctic circle and left it a few days to check how cold it would start.

One of the engines oil pumps exploded on the first test, took 'em 3 days working at -30deg c to fix it. Second test performed perfect.

Coldest my Subaru has been is a pathetic 13degreesf.

• 2 weeks later...