Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Extra cab brat anyone?

Ok a little history

I purchased this brat form caleb(svengoli)

and he was very honest and told me about all of the problems

So that being said if any of ya know this brat she was rode hard and never put away.

(NEXT SIX PICS BEFORE PICS )Notice the 2 head lights now it has 4 pics to come

ProjetSubaru090.jpg?t=1205082979

ProjetSubaru089.jpg?t=1205083159

after replacing the whole front end cause it was almost falling off,

ProjetSubaru098.jpg?t=1205083221

ProjetSubaru097.jpg?t=1205083253

ProjetSubaru096.jpg?t=1205083282

I noticed that the back wall was leaking. Creating that lovely wet moldy smell on the inside.

ProjetSubaru094.jpg?t=1205083365

I have done this detail to another one of my brats. It worked out well it fixed that back wall leak. I think its just the ticket if you are tall or ya want to carry some stuff with ya that cant get wet.

The first thing I did is prep all the peices

youll need a ea82 wagon gate ( preferably the ones with the rubber removable window seal)

A brat with or without leaky back wall

Some fab skill and time

basic tool can be used

ie. cut off wheel

grinder

welder

fiber glass

vulkum

pics of prep

DSC01786.jpg?t=1205081545

prep both sides

DSC01787.jpg?t=1205081456

in bed

DSC01788.jpg?t=1205081408

on roof

DSC01789.jpg?t=1205081378

You have to trim and fit the gate in. It takes lots of marking, cutting and fitting to get it ready to weld in. It just needs to be trimmed for the back wheel wells. I got a little plaz happy

Next the removal of you brats back wall. The first one i did i used an air cut off wheel and a sawzall it worked ok. Not as good as the plasma cutter I use this time , I cut it up to the top of the stock window opening so as to keep the roof integrety

DSC01791.jpg?t=1205081325

wall in

DSC01792.jpg?t=1205081277

wall out

then its time to install the gate

DSC01793.jpg?t=1205081206

DSC01794.jpg?t=1205081165

So when you get the gate where you want it you have to bend the rear gutter on the roor up so that the top of the gate fits flush

it will not meet the cab in the corners but it will mate in the middle enough to weld about 15 inches together. the you weld the corners where it wraps around the bed and finally you weld the gate to the bottom of the bed.

There will be a gap along each side where the angle of the gate and the angle of the bed are diffrent I fill it in with vulkum ( Super Caulking) then I take sheet metal fare it out and weld the two together. this can also be done in the bed because of the uneven floor

Next ya need some filler( I prefer Long & Strong fiberglass filler.)or you can fab in sheet metal like I did so as to use as little of the filler as possible the more filler the more can go wrong later

fare it out and hook up your new defroster wiper squirter and brake light

DSC01795.jpg?t=1205081034

DSC01796.JPG

DSC01798.JPG

so now put your seats back in and enjoy the extra room you can finally put the seat all the way back and still kick it back some You can even look out your new window while relaxing in your now reclineable seats

This gives you about 18 inches of exstended cab for tools pets or sound

hope this will inspire someone

Thanks

yea Im only 6'1 but i am a carpenter so I always have tools and such to haul around also it nice to beable to kick the seat back a little. Also my knees arent always bent so much now

I put 4 runner seats in it they are bigger and sit you up a little higher and more adjustable

:headbang::clap: That is freaking AWSOME!!! I was thinking/planning on doing something similar to that.

CAN you PLEASE post bigger pictures of the first few small pictures you posted? Also, please take a few more of the interior. I am curious as to how the inside looks.

AWSOME!

I can not figure out why the first pics are small they all came from the same camera where taken the same day and uploaded all at the same time

As far as the interior its not complete yet im gonna work on it today

so maybee later tonight ill have pics

That has to be one of the best looking mods I have seen done yet to a brat. Its a big difference yet still very suble and you have to double take it to actually realize what was done. And its cool you can incorperate the rear brake light and wiper.

I have always had the idea of cutting off the back end of a EA81 Wagon just behind the rear door and then marrying the bed of a brat to it to make a CREW CAB BRAT ...

Or take the front of brat and cut it just behind the brats door, and then marry the rear door area off a wagon onto the brats front and then add the bed of the brat back on ..

It would be cool as ************ to have the only CREW CAB BRAT maybe with a EJ motor in it WOW..

Can anyone photoshop a cool pic of this ...

Someone please make a CREW CAB BRAT ...

Joe

this sounds interesting but I like the subtleties in fabrication I like it when you have to piont out whats been done.

also in my world that type of vehicle would not be usefull

well I was not able to take any pics today my camera is MIA

I spent most of the day mocking up interior penel to wrap with cloth

I plan to put two 8 in drivers in each little hatch location in the walls

with a sealed enclosure tucked in to the wall, this will give me two subs with no lost space. the interior is gonna take some time cause Im kinda particular

thanks to all for the comments keep um comming

LT

I have always had the idea of cutting off the back end of a EA81 Wagon just behind the rear door and then marrying the bed of a brat to it to make a CREW CAB BRAT ...

Or take the front of brat and cut it just behind the brats door, and then marry the rear door area off a wagon onto the brats front and then add the bed of the brat back on ..

It would be cool as ************ to have the only CREW CAB BRAT maybe with a EJ motor in it WOW..

Joe

Joe

CrewcabBrat.jpg

Not 100% what you asked and I did NOT do the work, someone else here on the board did. I like your idea better but fear it would be too long and narrow.

Hmmmm, I LIKE THE CREW CAB BRAT PIC, It might look cooler with the larger brat doors in the front....

But I gotta say I DO LIKE THE EXTENDED CAB BRAT, THAT IS SWEEET... HE SHOULD MAKE THEM AND SELL THEM ...

I no longer have my brat had to let her go due to a split with the X, But If I would of had that EXTENDED CAB BRAT, I would have done my best to find away to keep her .. OR MAYBE EVEN THE X-GF, THE CRAP from her would have been worth it just to keep the Extended Cab Brat LOL ...

Ok no problem Ill try and find my camera again today to get some better shots before the install of interior

This all I have for now sorry

DSC01799.jpg?t=1205081775

DSC01800.jpg?t=1205082060

This rear pic should show ya pretty well

DSC01792.jpg?t=1205082135

Actually I want to see the interior pics before you are complete. I

want to see what everything looked like close up of where you cut out the rear wall/window. PLEASE