Ultimate Subaru Message Board

80's cyclops eye rare?

I was at a junkyard yesterday looking for some trim on my 96 legacy and some guy just about crapped his pants after he saw my wagon. He started telling me they only made 150 cyclops eye equipped Subarus because they were trying them out in 1980. He called it a "snow finder". These arent that rare are they???

They were standard on many 4WD GL's from '80 to '82. They were officially called "passing lamps" in 80/81, and then "center lamps" in '82. They are not at all any more rare than an '80 to '82 4WD GL.

I have two of the 80/81 lamps in my garage and one of the '82 style..... and I only hit the yards about once a month.

GD

Yeah, the "snow finder" center lights are really rare. They only work when it's snowing, and they emit a special type of light that allows you to see through snowflakes, even in a blizzard. I heard there were only 15 made, and I've only ever seen one.

I had one other 1980 wagon besides the one I sold to ProjectRX. It had the same passing lite on it. Personally,I think out of all the years the passing lite was available, the '80 model had the nicest looking one.Heavy duty lookin' chrome piece with a nice factory blue inlay. Its much more substantial than the one on my '82 wagon which is just a plastic door with a subaru badge glued on. Still very cool.

• 1 year later...
I was at a junkyard yesterday looking for some trim on my 96 legacy and some guy just about crapped his pants after he saw my wagon. He started telling me they only made 150 cyclops eye equipped Subarus because they were trying them out in 1980. He called it a "snow finder". These arent that rare are they???

I just bought me an 82 GL wagon. It has the light from the factory. I am so happy with my suub, it is all original with 54k... really only 54k miles garage kept all its life!! Was only driven about 4000 miles in the past 16 years. I am only the third owner. Looks like new inside still, and the original paint is still glossy! I am gushing over this thing! Everything works... even the cyclops!!

Yes they are cool! I am looking for a working timer that mounts on the right strut tower. The timer enables voltage for a small amount of time to open and close the electric door that covers the center light. The door has to be fully open for the light to come on via an limit switch. This keeps heat from the light from melting or discoloring the cover.