Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Kill Switch Ideas

So with all the theft lately I have really been thinking about installing disable devices in all my vehicles. I own four, three are subarus. If I go somewhere for a couple days all the rotors go with me, but I want something more like a switch that literally takes a second to disable the vehicle. My Justy will soon be reasssembled and resplendent, and I have convinced my brother that he needs a Brat...sweet temptations for would-be thieves

At one point the condenser wire connected to the ignition coil on my Jeep broke and grounded out on the block, preventing the vehicle from starting. I was truly lucky in figuring it out quickly, and it gave me an idea. I connected the wire to a toggle and ground and it worked great as a disable switch. Looking at the engine you would never think twice about the extra little wire coming off one of the ignition coil poles. A determined thief would have a very difficult time seeing it. I eventually removed it because I didn't know if I was doing something bad by grounding the ignition coil to the chassis.

So I have two related questions for the wise and experienced minds of the forum:

1) Does anyone know if there are deleterious effects from grounding the ig. coil to the chassis?

2) What are some good disable switch configurations?

BTW: I hate car thieves. I REALLY hate car thieves, but do not point your gun at one unless you are personally threatened, plan to pull the trigger, and are alright with prison. It is even a crime to point your gun at someone without intent, and car theft is not life threatening. I understand the sentiment, but do yourself a favor...don't post intent in writing on a public forum and get yourself a 26" telescoping steel baton. The sound they make when you flip them to full extension is very similar to the sound of the slide cycling on a semi-auto handgun, but about 10 times louder.

ive put one on almost every one of the 20 cars ive owned.

a little secret place for a small toggle switch that interupts the signal from the key to the starter works great, also same for the coil, or fuel pump or multiple switches.

oh and i just got a ticket for discharging a firearm withing city limits ($86) when i shot the would be car thief about 1 year ago. he tried to get my civic so he took a 12gauge rubber slug to the leg, that and me standing over him with the pump until teh cops showed kept him there.

not saying it was the best thing to do but it was the third time i had chased off the same kid in a month.

An idea I been toying with is dual ignition setups, like have the regular one in the dash then have another one like under the seat or something, so you need 2 keys to start the car. My other favorites are a starter/coil power interupt switch and a fuel pump power interupt, so if they try to hotwire it they still get no fuel :banana:

-Bill

here is one I should not disclose but

EA series FI cars have a fuse for the ECU and fuel pump.

Using a fuse tap, I run the wires through a fuse

of the correct amperage.

This wire then runs to the contact of a 12 v relay.

The other side of the contacts, completes

the circuit to the fuse panel.

In this fashion, the relay must be closed for the engine to operate.

The relay coil is controled by a hot supplied

in series with the cig lighter.

A separate fused hot is run to the cig lighter.

This needed as the cig lighter is not energized when

the key is in the "start" position.

When the cig lighter is pushed in, the relay closes

and the car will run.

The relay coils resistance prevents the lighter from getting

hot enough to "pop out" as it usauly does.

For added security, take the lighter with you.

If you do the nasty, carry a Bic.

I usually interupt the starter and the fuel pump. Key is to hide the switch someplace that seems like a natural motion in the car to flip, but is a pain to find for a thief.

Sometimes you guys make me feel safe living outside NYC.

nipper

I like the idea of interupting the ignition, not the fuel pump. If you have a carbed car and only kill the fuel pump, the car may run long enough for the thief to get it on the street, and I doubt they'll set the brake before they run off. So your car sits in the street rolling away.

Either ground the coil, or simply tap into the wire coming from the ignition switch that supplies voltage to the ignition , not the starter, and run it to your hidden switch. That way it will still crank and maybe alert you of someone in your car!

Maybe you could wire it up so if the igntion is turned without your hidden switch turned on, the horn blows and the electric door locks engage!

You could go to the junkyard and find a switch for optional equipment that was not on your car, that way the switch is in plain sight but labeled rear defrost, or heated seat, or whatever.

You could find an electric solonoid operated hydraulic valve and plumb it into the brake lines, so if your switch is not turned on, the car won't even roll. Good one for thiefs with tow trucks, or repo men!

i was thinking that the perpfect kill switch for my old wagon with the super bad exhaust leak would be to have a switch that clogged your exhaust. this way, the theif can get in, start the vehicle, start to drive it, but the exhaust comes pouring into the car, killing him within a block or two.... rest assured- he wont be back to steal anything else any time soon... and you wont get a ticket for shooting a gun! "well officer that's exactly why it's just sittin there!!! idiot stole the WRONG car....." and you're off scott free.... i mean honestly- they can't put you in jail for having a crappy car!!!! :banana:

Interesting story. A guy here in town saw his car getting brokeninto. He pulls out his deer rifle and puts one in the guys shoulder. Calls the cops and lets them know what happened. He did get arested but because he was defending his property which was in the parking lot, and he was on the 3rd floor. Needless to say he didnt serve any jail time but has become a folk hero of sorts.

fuel pump power interupt, so if they try to hotwire it they still get no fuel :banana:

-Bill

My buddy Brian took and used the rear window defrost button as the fuel pump "button" on and off, I guess you'd say. it worked out great. Then you could just run a hot to your rear window off the ign. and always have it working!

Jeff

i got a key stuck in my ignition so i just ripped it all out and put in my own toggle switch start.

IMG_4390-large.JPG

the reason its safe is that i have it wired so the engine wont turn over if the ignition switch is ON and it wont run if the switch is OFF :) you have to push the button to turn the starter and then flick the ignition switch to ON when its spinning.

A buddy of mine had an older Mercedes that people kept stealing the hood ornament off of. He finally got pissed and insulated it and wired it to a capacitor. No one stole it again. He did end up with all four head lights smashed in one time, but they left the hood ornament alone.

Get one of those old, floor mount highbeam button switches that were common on older vehicles. Easy to click on/off with your foot (hidden under the carpet) and no one sees your hands doing anything out of the ordinary.

Very good idea, just make sure it's not the starter switch. My friend had his Dakota wired up with a separate starter switch (like the old old cars) that he put under the left side of the dash by the column and used a real small button. My dads Porsche is done the same way. I've always wanted to make a second ignition switch and put it in place of the cigarette lighter but still have the lighter part able to sit in it's place with no key in it. Would be a nice hidden ignition and have the OEM ignition set up as a dummy with loose wires hooked up.

I've always wanted to make a second ignition switch and put it in place of the cigarette lighter but still have the lighter part able to sit in it's place with no key in it. Would be a nice hidden ignition and have the OEM ignition set up as a dummy with loose wires hooked up.

Please see my post # 7

No reason why the entire ignition system could not

be wired through the relay I mention.

The keys would then be needed for the streering wheel lock

and the start position (if your floor button was not installed)

Here is the way to do it. You use a single pole double throw switch, or spdt, available at Radio Shack etc. for a few dollars. The power goes to the center terminal, one of the other terminals is wired to the device you want to disable, fuel pump, ecu, coil etc. The other terminal is wired directly to ground, a dead short. You put a well hidden fuse in the power lead BEFORE the switch. Whenever you leave the car, flip the switch to the position that is grounded. That way if the thief tries to start the car, it will blow the fuse. The car will never start now even the scumbag funds the switch and and moves it to the other position, the fuse is already blown and the car will not start. Of course you will know where the hidden fuse is and will have spares.

Maybe someone here can draw up a diagram of this and post it, since I do not have the technology to do so.

i can just imagine the AAA call after you accidentally blow the fuse... "yeah, i'm stuck in the middle of NO WHERE in my soob... uh... yeah i need a fuse, can you send a truck? What? Oh, i blew mine trying to prevent someone from stealing my 1984 wagon!!!!!" Sweet.....:banana:

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. I have been very busy (including heater core replacement).

Thanks to everyone with all the ideas, including rubber shotgun slugs.:grin:

Skip, thanks for sharing your brilliant cigarette lighter set-up. I think I am going to have to make my own version of that or something similar.

I appreciate everybody's input, and may your subies never be stolen.

I like the idea of interupting the ignition, not the fuel pump... ...You could go to the junkyard and find a switch for optional equipment that was not on your car, that way the switch is in plain sight but labeled rear defrost, or heated seat, or whatever...

Get one of those old, floor mount highbeam button switches that were common on older vehicles. Easy to click on/off with your foot (hidden under the carpet) and no one sees your hands doing anything out of the ordinary.

Great Ideas!

Also, Beside to Cut the ignition Power... Why Don`t you use a Steering Bar, like the Club? ...

(I Use it on my Subies) See:

http://www.overstock.com/Auto-Parts/The-Club-LED-Double-Hooks-Anti-theft-Device/2047371/product.html

There are Another Option to Lock the Gearbox`s Shift Stick... See:

http://www.bearlocksystem.com/en/welcome1.html

Good Luck!

the easiest way is to wire a starter button($5.00) to the starter

hide the switch like everyone said

but have that switch hooked up to another somewhere else

you can hide this very well by having the first switch next to your seat adjust handle, adjust seat when you enter

place key in and turn on, now have the real starter button on the floor. passengers wont even notice

i had a 91 VW fox that had the infamous VW ignition problem so i wired the starter with this set up:banana:

A good place for a switch is inside the map pocket. Noone will notice, as you close the door pull the toggle.

You can also put an rfid system in, house the receiver in the door, as you close the door swipe the keyfob over the reader, well, you can house it nearly anywhere, even in the dash. Add a relay and timer switch, 10 seconds to start the car before the starter circut is deactivated.

A product like this is perfect. http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0210&CATID=&keywords=rfid&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

Another idea is to use a loom. Basically, the wire you want disabled goes into a plug and back out of the same plug, it is complete when the other end of the plug is inserted. Its pretty visible though, might serve as a good long term parking option though.

~Fox

Edited by Fox
Updated