Ultimate Subaru Message Board

not sure how to create a poll but do you use your Hiil Holder

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the hillholder, but right now my only running manual-tranny'd car has the cable disconnected. (Lost the flat retaining clip while pulling the engine.) Although I could get a replacement clip, I have noticed that on my car (an XT) the clutch requires less effort and has more "feel" without the cable; plus (though not as yet confirmed) the clutch seems to be lasting much longer than any of my prev soobs with the hillholder cable attached. My 87 T-wagon ate clutches and required much greater effort on the clutch pedal than comparable Japanese vehicles that I have owned (Datsun 510 and Toy 4Runner). I wonder whether the hillholder cable or mechanism was causing me grief. (An 82 wagon had the same overly stiff clutch issue.)

Hill holders work great when they are adjusted properly. If they are adjusted right you will not even know they are there. I used them in all my rigs that had them. Learning to use the clutch to disengage it is a must though.

Impreza-d/c

GL-was operational and it's hilly around here and everybody has a tendency to get right up on your a$$ on a steep hill in these parts. I've found that the e-brake works just as well though, but it's inconvenient to do so when there's a purse sitting there.

Hill holder FTW.

Then put your purse in the passenger seat. :banana:;)

My first Subie (82 wagon) had one, and it was nice on the street, but I learned to hate it when offroading because I got stuck on a steep hill with no place to turn around and had to slowly back down. I would start to back up and then try to coast a little but as soon as I pushed the clutch in the hill holder would stop the car. It was extremely frustrating on a narrow trail that was probably a 1/4 mile or so long. I suppose with some practice I might have figured out how to use it in this type of situation, but my current wagon doesn't have one, I just use my e-brake if needed.

Mine has been removed as it was leaking.

But before that I found it kinda handy here and there.

Never really noticed it "getting in the way". Maybe a few times.

Seemed to work good for me up until it spewed fluid.

I don't really miss it at this point though.

1st '86 BRAT, the HH leaked, but it was operational.

'82 BRAT, cable was MIA when I bought the BRAT.

2nd '86 BRAT, improperly adjusted at 1st, wouldn't let go 'till clutch was fully released, slacked the adjustment, haven't re-adjusted it yet.

'88 XT6, never noticed it operate, that I can remember of anuways.

'85 BRAT, it's there, but not adjusted properly. May do so to make it easier for Del to drive it.

Myself, don't or didn't really use it in the ones it worked in. I can do the clutch/brake/gas pedal thing pretty good. Spent 11 years driving a 22' box truck, 5-spd trans, 2-spd rear axle.

I would start to back up and then try to coast a little but as soon as I pushed the clutch in the hill holder would stop the car.

You had to also be hitting the brakes. If you don't hit the brakes, the hill holder doesn't do anything.

Hillholder cannot generate any braking force, it is only able to serve as a one way valve, holding braking pressure until released.

Sometimes I can't get the hill holder to work, I have to shift from 2-1 and then it'll engage. It's useful, except when it doesn't catch and I have to grab the hand brake :lol:

You kinda have to stomp the brake while holding the clutch to *set* it. Remeber it only locks one or two wheels(depending on model) so, you need 2-4 times the force at those wheels you would need with all four to *hold* the car.

I use it regularly in 2 - '82 hatches, an '87 3-door, and an '89 wagon - it's very handy on a steeper hills at stop signs / lights though not many of the later here in the Sierras.

What surprizes me is the number of Subaru owners that don't know what it is or how to use it. I've educated quite a few over the years and adjusted several for friends with older cars (like mine) that had got out of adjustment. Most then use it for a while - if they remember. Then I think that if they are not regularly in a situation where it would help, they "forget" it's there again - especially if they have another manual transmission non-Subaru vehicle (I've been known to try to use the hill holder in my seldom driven Jeep Cherokee - doesn't work too well!)

Look for two cables on your throw-out fork. The one on top loops back around under the master cylinder to the hill holder valve. Hard lines connect the M/C to the H/H valve. It should be equipped, unless previous owners removed it or disconnected it.

http://www.mttechsuba.com/photos/19851994_loyale/ea82-parts-028.html

This view is of the driver's side of the valve, note two mounting holes on bracket, they mount onto frame rail. Yours might look a bit different as this is from a later model.

Edited by MtTech
content

Hill holders are great in the hills. Most of mine eventually go south and get disconnected but would love to have them back. Are they repairable? (they're expensive)

They are very simple. I think if one could get the rubber for it, it is rebuildable.

OR get one at the wrecking yard from a 90-96 Legacy. It is the same unit, however the newer ones only have one hole tapped in the casting (operates on one wheel)

Older ones have two lines to two wheels, so you would need to tap the blank casting for ht esecond line, or bypass it and just use one.

Edited by Gloyale

My hill holder is currently leaking.

To all those who disconnected it, does this stop the leaking? Does "disconnecting it" simply involve unlatching the cable, or re-routing brake lines?

I would like to keep it functioning, so has anyone tried repairing the leaking hill-holder? Any input will be helpful and much appreciated... ?

My personal vehicle only leaked while being "used". As in holding the vehicle. I simply disconnected the cable and it is still there to this day, not leaking. You can rebuild them. I have not, but I am sure someone here has and could point the way for you.

I use it and love it. ... Never had a problem with any of mine.

Exactly the Same with my Subies!

if you know how Crazy Honduran Streets are...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90606

...You`ll Understand how Useful is that Hill Holder Feature, Specially drivin` a Fully Loaded Subie.

Kind Regards.

ive never really cared ether way. ive been meaning to hook it up on my 86 lifted wagon with the EJ22 but after wheelin for the first time i think ill leave it undone. its nice being able to roll back a little when needed.

You can roll back with the Hill Holder. Just let up ooff the clutch just a hair