Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best Deal You Ever Got On A Subaru?

I really don't have one but I passed up on one several months ago. It was a 2008 Outback with only a couple thousand miles on it for $2500.

That's right $2500 in perfect condition.

You see, the person who owned it was a soldier killed in Iraq and the grieving parents just wanted to get rid of it fast.

I just couldn't take advantage of the situation but someone else did.

Seems like non-transactions wouldn't count, or mean much. I would have bought it though that price is hard to believe. Why not just give it away rather than devalue it that much? For 3x that it would have sold the same day it was listed. Whoever is in charge of the estate, property, expenses, and settling any debts isn't likely to let something like that slide. Are you sure it wasn't a scam "car will be shipped upon payment"?

The overall best - good car for a good price - was last year. 1997 Legacy Sedan, manual, great condition, new clutch, minor surface rust (impossible to find around these parts), new tires, great paint, only 100,000 miles for $900. Picked it up for a friend.

Our 2002 OBW H6 VDC was $3,250 but it needed some work so that wasn't the final cost to me.

I've got a bunch for free, got 3 free XT6's from one guy and turned some freebies down too.

paid $800 for a black 98 impreza coupe 2.2 5sp awd with a few issues but pretty solid overall. it had been a teenager car from the mountains. it was on craigslist, somehow the seller called me first. a car like that is pretty sought after around here.

Edited by 970subaru

I paid $650NZD for my 94 RS Legacy Sedan. Mint body, brand new tyres, cambelt done 10,000ks ago. It wasnt running but all it needed was a starter motor and full service and she started first pop. Then i found the crank it be knocking, tappets ticking, spark plugs naffed and turbos stuffed. cam seals leaking oil all over the exhaust. Then I crashed it. Costed $560NZD for front bumper, 2 headlights bonnet and grill. So all up its costed about $1500 which isnt to bad. Iv seen them going for $3000. Picked up a pair of B4 turbos for $200. Mint con, no play, very clean. Just need to get around to putting them on.

This is the only subi Iv owned. Dont know why i bothered. Nah, just joking. I love it.

$250 for my 95 Legacy LS wagon 182K ..with a bad tranny but still moved...very very very minor rust some bumps and bruises . Dropped a new tranny in it ..did the outback strut lift conversion and I drive it more then my 08 Impreza now. Smooth and quiet...almost a shame that I offroad it too:-\

and a free 93 Impreza AWD sedan...230+k ran good had some rust and needed a gas tank...should have kept it and turned it into a rally car..but sold it cause I just couldnt get used to NOT having a wagon

Edited by Bucky92

i dunno, the rescued wagon was a trip out with my other car, gas, and distributor, and then I had to send some money to him for the title, followed by painful registration, etc.

Next, the silver bomber 95 legacy wagon l bought it for 200 with rod knock, attempted to drive it home, blew a hole in the top of block on way home, sold it for 700 and a good ej22 went with it, which i paid 100 for at the JY

i dunno, the rescued wagon was a trip out with my other car, gas, and distributor, and then I had to send some money to him for the title, followed by painful registration, etc.

Next, the silver bomber 95 legacy wagon l bought it for 200 with rod knock, attempted to drive it home, blew a hole in the top of block on way home, sold it for 700 and a good ej22 went with it, which i paid 100 for at the JY

huge high five for profiting on blown-up Subarus!

The 1982 GL wagon for $1000 in 1989. Over the next 3 yrs I put new axles on her and a rebuilt carb. But my father got an even better deal when he bought it from me for $500. (well, part of what makes it such a great deal is he bred my younger bro, certified mechanic, who maintains that little red Subeeyatch like it is Paris Hilton. It has 140,000 miles on it and runs like a top. Rust will eventually get her, but you would be amazed how far paint can metal and rivets over foam core will get you! :banana:

I picked up my '83 4WD wagon from my GF's sis (original owner) for $500 in 1989. It had about 85K on it at that time, all paperwork from new included.

This car has NEVER left me stranded ANYWHERE, and has made the 1500-mile plus trips to WCSS six times, and plan to attend this year's WCSS meet. I still have it (20 years now), just turned 326,000 miles this week:eek:.

I think I got my $500 worth.

:grin::grin::grin:

I once bought a 86 2WD XT that had a "bad motor" for $200 from a local dealer. Discovered someone had done a timing belt, and stripped the tensioner bolt holes in the block, so the belt was loose and making the distributor clack.

Heli-coiled the bolts, installed new OEM belts, and sold the car to a guy my Dad used to work with for $650. A few months later, I got a free 85 GL 2WD wagon for free, rebuilt the carburetor, and traded that to him for the XT + $250, cuz he wanted something that was easier to get a car seat in and out of. 4-5 months later, his son needed a car, so he bought it back for $500, and his son drove it for a while until he toasted the transmission, so he gave it back to me. Turned out it was just a hub, so I replaced the hub and sold the car + a turbo XT with no engine to another friend for $850, and he drove it for almost a year until he got another Neon, and now his plan is to convert it to electric.

A close second is my 92 SVX which I bought for $800 off craigslist with a bad tranny, I then paid $300 for a Subaru remanufactured tranny with 20,000 miles on it :grin:

paid $400 for a 95 Legacy L wagon I spotted on Crag's list right after i posted a wanted ad for a 97-99 Outback wagon..

Deal was just too good to pass up and the best thing was it was the 5 Spd which is hard to find here in the North East.

Only repairs needed was the exhaust and waterpump which I did I brought the car when it had 198,067 and it now has 199,689... owned it a little over a month and 4 weeks now.

$50 1982 GL wagon -- first subaru I owned. I learned to drive a stick with that car, though I never did really learn that it wasn't a jeep. :lol: Drove it from CO to WA and back once. You could see through the doors there was so much rust, and it looked awful (someone smashed the fender in in a parking lot once, and I didn't really realize it till later, because it already had so many dents), but it always started (wouldn't always idle, but never failed to start) and even after leaving a few larger pieces on the road (exhaust, trim, etc), it still drove itself to the highschool shop class that I donated it to at the end.

My first soob was an 84 2wd "Sport Wagon". I traded a washer and dry for it, and they didn't belong to me either.

Just got the title for my 84 T-coupe, Bill gave it to me but I gave his daughter $20 just so some money changed hands.

Can't tell you how many have come and gone that some one just told me to "come and get it"

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see... I paid $640 last year for a '96 EJ22 5 spd. OBW with 113k miles. Needed the exhaust welded and a hole in the oil pan (!) plugged. I've put 10k miles on it since then.

A few years back I paid $150 for a '90 Loyale 4wd Turbo wagon at a charity auction. They couldn't get it to start. I took a chance on it, tinkered a few minutes after I bought it, and drove it home. It ran great- I drove it several years, and it even survived a collision with a brand-new $95k Porsche!

About the same time, I bought a clean, running & driving '83 GL 2-door coupe for $120 plus buyer's fee at another auction. I wish I'd kept that one- it was a cool little coupe but severely underpowered with the auto tranny.

Cheapest Suby I ever bought was an '81 GL I got for $50, but I didn't get a title with that one. It got parted out.