Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can you drink in the back of a brat?

yeah, a lot of places have those archaic drinking in public laws still on the books...

also, if you have a sliding rear window it would definitely be a no-no since then the driver has access to the alcohol...

--Spiffy

I think your answer may be here:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc23221.htm

Drinking in Motor Vehicle

23221. (a) No driver shall drink any alcoholic beverage while in a motor vehicle upon a highway.

(B) No passenger shall drink any alcoholic beverage while in a motor vehicle upon a highway.

Amended Sec. 2, Ch. 723, Stats. 1999. Effective January 1, 2000.

and I think they could reasonably argue that the back of a brat is IN the vehicle...

--Spiffy

Well maybe if its in a sippy cup to keep from spilling it.

This would be one for the lawyers, but i dont see how it would be any differnt from a limo or a party bus, considering the rear window is a pretty darn good barrier to define the in vs the on.

nipper

Either way your screwed. Open container vs. alcohol in public.

Now if the BRAT was not in motion. You might be able to swing it like guys do at tail gate parties. You should really talk to someone who knows their crap, front desk lady might not understand your plight.

Edited by Durania

I think the real problem is the cop that pulls you over. If, you discovered that it is in fact legal to drink in the bed of your brat, and you get pulled over.....the fact that there are almost no brats around anymore will throw the cop off, and he may issue a citation, thinking he is correct. You may have knowledge otherwise that you are correct, but he feels that a law has been broken. He issues citation and you go to court, prove your right...your still out the time and effort and possibly lost wages to prove yourself to the court. And that's not to say that it wouldn't happen again. Unless you found the ordinance or statute in the books, printed it out, and carried it around with you. But your chances of the cop finding another violation or something go up exponentially at that point. Most cops don't like to be proven wrong, I have discovered.....

And hey, if you get too sassy with them, they may haul you off to jail...51% probable cause that your displaying behavior that warrants "disorderly conduct" is all they need....

I have found the less attention I draw from the cops, the better.

Good Luck!

Jesse

PS..I love this post...especially those pics :lol: