Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Flood Wagon.

Heres the $100 Centralia Wagon I dragged home the other day. It has a Ton of mud in it. The doors have problems opening as well. The biggest problem with the doors is,the locking mechanism were froze up,but someone tried Very hard to still get in. So,one broken door handle and a little PB blaster here and there, all is Almost well.

If the water had gotten into the dash,the car would not be worth salvage. Except maybe the motor and tranny. It only got a couple inch's above the froor, and its a mess. The old guy who owned it took pretty good care of it before the flood. It runs good even with the original feedback carb.

Heading down to the car wash place tomorrow with all the interior parts including the carpet. I'm going to power wash everything. With the warm weather,hopefully everything will dry out fast.

I really like this car. It has good wheels and tires on it,and it hasn't been messed with too much. Wiring and such. Thanks to Flowmasters post in the

Craigs/ebay sub-forum,I was able to get it. Thanks again,Flow.

I owe you a cold one.

score.jpg

mud1.jpg

mud2.jpg

mud3.jpg

All I can say is wow. That thing was in great shape prior to the flood. Even if you can't get the interior recovered to where you would want it. You can always take another $100 or so and find some more interior pieces. Make sure and post some after pics as well.

The wash went well. I blasted everything. I tried to stay away from the dash as much as possible. The seats are Nice. It was hard to tell thru all the mud,but they cleaned up well.

I got some hard learned advice to pass on.

Don't ever,ever ever ever,point the power washer wand at your headliner.

It can't take it.

The good thing is,it was 90 degrees today,with a breeze. It literally dried the car out in about six hours. Including the seats. For the most part,anyway.

Check out this "gear lube"...:eek:

wash6-1.jpg

mud1.jpg

wash1-1.jpg

wash2-1.jpg

wash3-1.jpg

wash4-1.jpg

wash5-1.jpg

wash7-1.jpg

Edited by markjw

i'll trade you for a a green ea81 wagon.:lol:

your car is an instant reminder to me of the one that made me fall in love with subies.her name was penelope.i have always wanted another maroon ea81 wagon.damn.i hate you sometimes.:)cheers, brian

I didn't have any of it myself but,

I added a little nutmeg to it and the kids loved it.:grin:

I'm pretty bummed about the headliner blunder. I had decided the night before that I would do the headliner by hand. Not for any particular reason other than it just seemed safer. Everything else went so well that at the very end of the hose down,I just pointed it up there to see how it would do.

With all the water splashing around,I didn't see it in time to avoid the damage. Live and learn.

Hey Brian,its a wagon identical to this one,that a friend of mine was so proud of years and years ago,and me, being young and dumb with a sparkling new

'85 Yota 4X4,thought he had lost his friggin mind. I remember standing in the parking lot of his apartment complex looking the thing over wondering why they would put 4WD into a little wagon. After that day,I never thought about Subaru wagons again for almost twenty years.. Arrogance breeds Ignorance.

I'm keeping this one for awhile,man. I need good,reliable transportation thats easy to maintain and economical to drive. This 4WD wagon is all of that and then some.

i guess thats fair....:) she is awfully pretty though.i know you will do a good job with her.

and Ed,i would trade my green wagon for a maroon wagon like this one!!!!!it 's just that it brought back memories,and , and, and,.......but basically,everything is for sale or trade with me.:lol:cheers, brian

It seems to flood in that area almost every year. Several rivers run there. The Chehalis R.,Skookumchuck R. and the Newaukum R.,too. I know that when the snow pack is really high in the Cascade mountain range,just east of Centralia maybe 40 miles, and a warm rain comes in off the Pacific ocean in early spring,thats when the Real flooding problems happen. The snow melts so fast it floods all the rivers....Thats pretty much everywhere in Western Washington,thou. Occasionally,Interstate 5 is sitting under 10-12 feet of water thru there. Thats Feet,not inches.

But,to answer your question as to why this particular wagon was flooded,the previous owner was in Texas when the flood came. No one thought the Subi was worth saving. 'cept me :grin:

Chehalis River swallows up homes, residents airlifted out

The freeway overpass in Chehalis was underwater, including Wal-Mart on the right. I-5, which runs below, was completely submerged.

flood1.jpg

A Centralia neighborhood that runs next to I-5 which is fully submerged at the right.

flood2.jpg

Flood waters from the Chehalis River inundate a neighborhood in Centralia.

flood3.jpg

Looking south, semi trucks sit stranded on high ground above the flooded Interstate 5 at Exit 77 in Chehalis.

flood4.jpg

Airplanes were moved to high ground at Chehalis Airport. Officials said it's the worst flooding in years in and around Chehalis and Centralia including Interstate 5.

flood5.jpg

The barrier on Interstate 5 between the northbound and southbound lanes is swept away in places as the highway passes through Chehalis.

flood6.jpg

Edited by markjw