Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Overheating, have done LOTS with zero results

When I first bought my little Loyale four years ago, it ran flawlessly. Temperature gauge stayed just above the "c" on the cluster. Then, about two years ago, she started getting warmer, and warmer. It got to the point that I had to run the heater all of the time. Last summer, I changed the waterpump. Didn't do anything. Then, about 5 months ago, I changed the thermostat AND got a complete flush at a shop. Didn't change anything. I was running without the fan shroud as well. So I put a new one in. Nothing. The electric fan is working just fine as well. The spark plugs don't show evidence of burning coolant, and the only time I lose coolant is when it pushes it out through the over-flow container. I also put a new radiator cap in.

For a while, I was running with a bad EGR solenoid. So, I put in a different one. There was a noticeable increase in power, but not a drop in temperature. . .

Could I have a bad Head Gasket, and the pressure is pushing coolant out?

The mechanic at the shop said that the flush/fill went well. Driving at interstate speeds used to be zero problem for it, but now if I do sustained driving at 65, it gets very close to the red.

Thanks

Greg

A visual inspection of the tops of the pistons (with the spark plugs removed) will tell you if you have a bad head gasket (a clean piston top is indicative of water making it's way into the cylinder).

When you had the flush and fill, did the mechanic back flush the radiator (ie. run hot water through it backwards)? I've had many a radiator and heater core that have been clogged with multiple years worth of sediment that have been fixed by back flushing.

Hey suprunner. Sounds like your radiator is no longer doing it's job? Have you let it warm up, then shut off and feel the radiator for hot / cool spots? Basically feeling for areas that are not circulating well (cooler spots). Some guys even upgrade to a 2 row radiator for extra cooling.

I'd go with the bad Rad, there pretty cheap, 120 for the last one I bought last summer when my rig was doing the same.

Good luck, and good advice don't run it hot or you will have a bad HG in no time.

-Prwa

An EA81 will drop right in there. Exhaust and intake bolts right up.

As for the overheating, it does sound like either you have a hose getting sucked closed, or your radiator isn't doing what it's supposed to. Whatever you do, don't put any sort of stopleak in there.

well its either the rad or hgs. ive nursed hgs for 12 months and then boomski. huge.. do you get steam from the exhaust? id replace the rad 1) becaause its cheaper than hgs and wont do anything but good 2) if it is hgs, at least youll have a new rad when you do it. that said, i think your hg is going/gone. i even know which spot. guess how. anywho ihth, and good luck

If you aren't losing coolant then I would put money on a clogged/blocked rad. Classic rad issue - car gets hot at high speeds and up hills (under load). Been there unfortunately a few times. If you ARE loosing coolant then 'spot the leak' is your first objective.

Pull the rad and flush it with your trusty garden hose - see what comes out and judge the flow for yourself - flush forward then backward, repeat....then ask yourself - does it look like strong flow or not? Just make sure to discard the old coolant properly so your neighbors don't lose any pets to negligence.

BTW - when you check the coolant level in your Loyale you need to open the rad cap to check. Judging by the level in the plastic expansion tank can be misleading and flat out wrong.

If you aren't losing coolant then I would put money on a clogged/blocked rad. Classic rad issue - car gets hot at high speeds and up hills (under load). ...

That is Absolutely True, however there is another issue that could be causing that Hot operating temperatures, and is a Clogged Exhaust...

radiastors in these cars are barely adequate to begin with.

Needs a new one.

If it only pushes out water when hot then it's not a HG issue it just needs a new radiator.

if it runs cool to middle, but is still pushing out overflow, then it's the HG.

radiastors in these cars are barely adequate to begin with.

Needs a new one.

+1 most likely.

radiatorbarn.com has cheap radiators usually.

sounds like classic radiator stuff here...i'm surprised after 2 years and overheating that the radiator was never considered? weird.

a flush by no means guarantees radiator innards.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Also, the radiator cap might be letting coolant out into the expansion tank but not letting it back in on cooling/contraction so you'll keep loosing water - is it the correct radiator cap; if the original was lost you might not have the correct cap (different caps operate at different pressures). 

Also, the radiator cap might be letting coolant out into the expansion tank but not letting it back in on cooling/contraction so you'll keep loosing water - is it the correct radiator cap; if the original was lost you might not have the correct cap (different caps operate at different pressures). 

you need a 13lb (not sure about kgs....) rad cap with good seals ie... not cracked and dry