Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why do you love your Sube

Hmm, depends on which one your talking about.

My 84 Turbo, well, thats a love/hate relationship, I love to hate her, she doesn't like to run, and when I get one thing fix, 2 more break, so it's interesting.

The Brat (my first wife), we're inseperable, till death do us part. We've been together for 6 years now, and been through a whole heck of a lot. I've changed a lot in those 6 years, and the Brat has changed right along with me.

The Wife's:

89 3-Door, good commuter car, gets where ever we need to go, with no problems at all. Doesn't require a lot of working on either.

80 Brat, fun to drive, but can't stay in it for too long. Really easy to work on.

Originally posted by Snowman

1. They're just cool, in a strange, quirky sort of way. Also the shock value of offroading with a CAR fits under this one.

Exactly. THe first weekend I had my '83, I took it to a former lake resort that has been completely graded and is total mud nad red clay that is being turned into a subdivision. This place is on the waterfront and is all hills. It rained for a few days and I thought it would be the perfect place to wring out my soob. When I got there I wasn't alone, there was a guy in a newer landrover who apprently got the same idea. By the time I left he was stuck and the soob was still going. The look on his face was priceless as he saw this 21 year old car that I got for free pass him and his $30m+ Rover in the mud. :D

Despite the fact that it blew a timing belt in Bozman, Montana on a Michigan to Seattle trip

Despite the fact that it blew a timing belt idler pully in Forsythe, Montana on a Seattle to Michigan trip

I wouldn't trade it for anything, and the timing belts won't be a problem when the brand new CCR EA-81 gets here.

Nothing like going out to the "Sheep Ranch" or the powerlines as us school kids call it, with a bone stock DL single range 4WD with bald 175/65R13's and having a built up ford ask if they should wait at the other side of the puddle incase i get stuck. now i have much more invested into the car than i payed for it and instead of geting laughed at now when i hit the trails i bring a crew of dodge pickups, ramchargers, jeeps and tahoes. and i have no problems keeping up, and i break down less to boot.

1stsubaru - 84gl sedan auto4wd $500 drove 40,000 before she died. bought w/ 150k died 190k never changed oil

2ndsubaru - 87gl wagon auto 4wd $300 drove 20,000 before she died. bought w/ 117k sold w/ 137k couldn't fugure out fuel problem.

3rdsubaru - 84gl twagon auto 4wd $1000 drove 10,000 still going

157k on ticker

4thsubaru - 92 legacy sport sedan 4eatft4wd $100 not running yet. bought from junkie who needed fix, fastest car deal I ever made, said it overheated. 167k

i've always wanted a WRX. way before i'd even driven a subaru. i was shopping for a vehicle for the first time and saw my 88 wagon sittin at the back of the lot for $500. i tested it and was pretty impressed. now it's nearly indescribable how much i love my soob. all the reasons above and most of all, the uniqueness and "funky" points it gets from all my buddies. man they're great. i don't see myself buying anothe make of vehicle for many, many years.

My first experience was with my t-wagon. First vehicle I really 4x4ed in. Did a 6" lift, 27" tires, welded rear... crawled up a hill that put my friends jeep (stock minus rear posi at that time) to shame, drowned the car in a mud hole, got air at a redneck beater rallyx. Ahh the memories. I figured I'd get another one cause I was so impressed with the engineering and capabilities of the first. Right now I can't wait til my car is ready to put more 4x4s to shame. However this time it's getting a properly done lift.

Horribly dis-illusioned with my Subie right now. :(

For some unknown reason, it wont start....turns over great, got spark to all four plugs (possibly not quite strong enough-will be checking on that), getting plenty of fuel in the throttle body....but not firing off....must do more testing to find the reason why.

But on an up note...it didnt leave me stranded anywhere!!! :D sitting in my driveway!! went out to get her warmed up on Friday and it just wouldnt start.

So for the time being I am demoted to driving a POS 89 Ford Taurus :rolleyes:....dont get me wrong, I like Ford for the most part, but the Taurus is NOT one of my favorites.....

Well I have had many cars... My first subaru was a 84 wagon 4wd I purchased for 750 bucks about 7 years ago... NO RUST and air to boot... I sold it to a friend that moved back to Pa from NY because he lost his job and house, car.. He needed wheels and being a good friend I gave him a nice deal.... Well I was sorry I gave it to him... It was Moss Green and the goof spray painted it black amd then sold it latter on without offering it back to me first...

So I moved on to several cars and trucks and finally after finding this web site the sickness was to much for me and I fell off the WAGON LOL AGAIN... The hunt started.. So finally I found again after searching and traveling to different states looking at Brats and Hatches and Wagons another NON RUSTED 84 WAGON.... And I fell in love again...

I FEEL SAFE IN THIS CAR IN BAD WEATHER ALWAYS>>> Only car so far that has given me PEACE OF MIND in bad weather....

Now my gal she does not understand the sickness.. But as soon as I find her a EA82 wagon in auto 4wd she will, OH YES SHE WILL....

For now Im still looking for that elusive non rusted Brat and PLOW setup..

Everything!

I've had:

85 Brat

81 Wagon

87 Turbo sedan

77 Brat

85 Turbo XT

88 Wagon

91 Turbo Legacy (still have)

87 Turbo XT

92 SVX (still have)

88 Wagon

91 Loyal wagon (still have)

90 Legacy wagon (still have)

I just can't get enough!

Easiest cars I have ever worked on and with AWD they will outshine any big sloppy truck when the roads get slippery.

I have 5 now, 10 all together.

It aint no honda or toyota.

Same for pick any American car.

It is a one year only Everything works, finally.

Brat's are cool period.

Repeat above sentance.

Everyone with any sense up here in the frozen north with a lick of intelligence drives one.

They hold there value well here.

Brat's are cool.

:D

Originally posted by torxxx

subafreak - sell me that SVX........................

I want one of those sooo bad..

Svx body with a WRX STi Motor and tranny.................. oooooooooooooooooooooooooh my god.......

brb.. gotta rub one off..

Just don't get any on my car, OK

Moose is alot closer to that than I am, besides I don't really think that BRAT would be worth the trouble unless he's giving it away. Juging by the description of rust in bed and rust on tailgate and the pic of the interior I can see some rust on the door sill, so I'm guessing it's just as rotted as any old BRAT. Probly a good deal if the guy wants $150 for it but not worth anyone going out of his way for.

Except maybe to smack the guy that posted the sale.:D

The best part of owning a Legacy is taking new people for a ride. People who barely only know that Subes exist. Pootle around town, and once the engine is warm, open the throttle right up and listen to the "Oh my God! When you see this car you don't think it will be so fast!"

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Welp, I'm divided! My Impreza OBS has spanked many faster cars and have made me laugh soooo hard, tears came out of my eyes many nights. I've met many cool people and it's probably the only car that has/will gotten/get me on T.V. :eek: It has travelled 120 miles with a blown headgasket and another 120miles with no oil and never left me stranded. Even when I tore my transmission up racing, it still didn't leave me stranded over an hour away. *sniffle*

My XT6 on the other hand has left me stranded 3 times. I think I've probably spent more money on the XT6 in repairs even while the car was stock. It leaks oil on and off like a monthly period. (Eww...bad comparison). Leaked power steering fluid, the pump failed, fuel pump failed, spark plugs, wires, water temp sensor, tranny failed, creeks, squeaks, leaks water on both sides of door, refused to get faster with mods, the steering is comparible to the feeling of first time sky diving over and over again when going around turns, *rubbing hands from this long sentence*...................... And you know what? I drive this car with da attitude more than my other cars. ?????????? It's driving great but this'll last for about 2 weeks. I suspect my motor will go out anytime now. Oh yeah, it's one ugly arse car with no aftermarket. I LOVE it! :D

just about total reliabilty i know it will run 99 percent of the time

the fact i can get help on issue's with it on here unlike other car boards where they seem to be a bit more stuckup

alot of the parts are affordable

witht he mods the nifty darthvader whooshie nosie from the turbo

i love having vehicles that are different than what the "norm is"

i know my family wil be safe in it