Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why a soob?

okay i know this is an incredibly rediculous silly question. Dont even read passed here if you get angry easily. if you feel the need to flame me have at it, just do it in your head and dont waste electrons. Sorry if i have been askin a lot of silly questions lately i just wanna completely research this car before i go droppin a few grand into buildin a offroad mobile. Okay so the stupid question of the year is why a soob? Why not an older model jeep or truck or something like that? I have about a million reasons i can think of but i want to hear your guys thoughts.

:drunk: cheers

if you want something that gets maybe 10 mpg, on the highway, weighs more than your mom, and looks retarded get a truck to offroad. if you want something that can go through the same crap a stock bronco, or blazer, without any mods, gets 20+ mpg, even with big tires, and turns heads like mad, get a subaru and lift it. you wont be sorry, i suggest the ea81s they looks so much cooler!

oh i know thats one of the things im lookin forward to most is learnin to work on one of these. I found one of those "a billion things to do to keep your old soob running" or whatever its called (lol) for like 8 bucks on ebay the other day so that should come soon. I wanna learn it all and know how to beef it up and repair etc. All the new cars these days are impossible to learn to work on. Its all crammed in and the only way to get repairs is pay some jackass in a shop $400 to plug in a little computer and then hit that secret button that turns the warnings off. I just think the customizability of these cars is so cool.

Like said before, Gas mileage, maneuverability, size, and they look better when lifted in my opinion. How many lifted fords have you seen driving around? And how many soobs? Every one of my co-workers had never seen a brat until I started working there, and they notice EVERY one that drives by now!:grin:

i think all around a soob is way more badass lookin then say a lifted f-350 or some such. And all those new trucks or jeeps or whatever are all big and shiney and pretty; i bet their drivers wouldnt even dare to take em offroad because of the looks... especially not the places ive seen some soobs goin. Well keep the good things comin guys i wanna hear more cool stuff i can point out to friends when i drive up to school next year.:brow:

everyone always ask why i drive a soob (90 loyale 4wd 5 sp.) when i could get something "nicer". that is until they drive it and realize how much room it has on the inside, what a great driving car it is, what great gas mileage it gets and just how cool it looks. i almost sold the soob and bought a jeep this year but i am so glad i changed my mind and found this web site. you can customize your soob just as much as a jeep and spend a lot less money.

Have you tried makin a u-turn in a ford truck? you need 7 lanes! A sube does it in like 1.5 lanes! My sube got hi-centered (not lifted) on a soft dirt birm and I wedged a 2x4 under the back tire and pryed it over the birm! try doing that with a truck or jeep! (I am 5'5", 150lbs of sissy) If you have some 2x4s and a shovel, you can get out of just about anything...:) , with a subaru, that is

the goat - my friends say the EXACT same thing "Why don't you sell them and get a NEW car?" I won't ever because I don't like any of the new models that are out now that I could afford. Sure I would like to drive a porshe or a viper, but I am never going to be able to afford one. For the amount of money I'd spend on a new vehicle (20,000$$) do you know what I could do to a subaru? Just imagine. I just don't like new cars, I love all 4 of my Brats.

I started with dad's 83 ea81 4wd dr 4spd sloppy shifter knocking lifter clacking cv axles, with california emissions, and now have my 85 ea82 5spd dr 4x4 de-emissioned trashwagon 7, that I take everywhere I want to go

the way I drive in "questionable terrain" is run it in fwd, when you see trouble, STOP, reverse, and 4lo, saves your rump roast

they look great, drive great, get good gas mielage, weigh a lot less than trucks, VERY easy to work on, VERY cheap, VERY reliable, have 4WIS, are pretty well ahead of their time, also at the end of the day, when the jeepers and v8ers are making fun of you, you can pat yourself on the back when you shut them up leave them behind, and STILL get home on the tank of gas you started out with and for not following the crowd. also, you can say you are one of a minute croud that off roads (and does a hellofa good job at it,) their cars.

have fun and subaru on !!!!:headbang:

tyler j

I'm 6' 2", and I don't have a problem in either of my soobs, but it's REAL close for me. I don't have a problem because my wagon has a sunroof, and my Brat has t-tops, so there is extra room. For 6' 6" - especially in a hatch with no sunroof, it will be very tight. Time for different seats. Moving the rails could help, and it's not hard at all really. Someone did that to the drivers seat in my parts car, and it worked well.

As for why I drive a lifted wagon..... it's curb appeal. I get looks wherever I go, and wherever I stop people have to check it out, and ask me questions. I never have to wash it, it has no carpet inside, the seats are splattered with mud, and I can still pick up my date in it, and she's happy to be seen in it. It's a lot of fun off-road too. Maybe not as capable as a jeep or a big truck in some circumstances, but a lot MORE capable in others due to it's low wieght. And on top of all this, I can drive it daily because it gets 20 MPG or so.....

GD

yeah i have a feeling ill have to do a lil customization... but ive moved seats before and i could always chop em down and remount the brackets thats no biggie. Itd be worth it. I love the look of the ea-81s with a lift. I with BYB made bigger then a 3 cause i would certainly love to buy a 4 or maybe 5. I wouldnt know where to begin on a custom job so nah. But yeah i agree if i saw this car i would definately give it a good double take.

Because of People like Qman, Zapar, Mudrat, Turbone, Subarubrat, SubaruJunkie, GeneralDisorder, and even Milesfox, plus countless others.

When i got my first Subie, back in Dec. I was a narrow-minded kid. I wanted a Chevy, and it had to have a V8. I was thinking i could drive this free car and build my camaro up (HS popularity things - you know) and then i saw this page. I browsed to see what people were doing to their old POS subes. Then I saw pics of Ken's Brat, then Zap's Hatch, then etc etc etc. I was hooked. I sold my camaro and got another sube. My cousin slid my wagon into a curb while snow driftin, and bent the rear control arm horribly. I thought it was going to cost an arm and a leg. Surprise surprise! only $65 for a used control arm, with axle, and good brakes! :slobber: Sube parts were Cheap!!! So i got another sube. LOL and its been going on from there. Ive met Ken, Eric, and Rob, and they are some very nice people, and very encouraging as well (big tires anyone?? :brow: ). This place, the cars (or trucks!) and the people, make it all worth it.

Jay

Side note: Ive made more aquaintances talking about subarus, and what ive learned than i ever could have with a POS V8 camaro. I have people come up to me and my friends all the time asking Whos sube is that, or tellin us that we will never be cooler than there Chevy, while the Jeep girls at our school ask us when were going to go wheelin, all the time. LOL.

I like my brat because of the gas milliage and it's capibility to go on virturally any mild terrain.... It's become a very useful car, I don't have to worrie about it scrapping bottom if I go down a deep pot hole riddled gravel alley, or if I try navigating a parking lot and don't feel like driving all the way around the curb, just drive on over it... And the moters are tough little engines, they never die, unless ran without oil, or water, they don't die. Kinda like the old Chrysler I used to drive, the moter in that thing has almost half a million miles on it. from what I've seen, Subaru engines after maybe having the heads rebuilt once, will go for a good 300-400k miles before the bottom half ever wears out as long as it's taken care of.

Got hooked with my OBS. Loved the way the car handled on road and was very impressed with the off-road capabilities. Coming from a Jeep background, I appreciate the on-road handling characteristics even more.

My 82 BRAT has yet to see dirt, soon to change this weekend :grin: . But it's easy to work on, parts are readily avaliable either here or at the PAP. The best part is going places and having the big rigs look at you in wonder and amazement as they think "What the heck are you doing back here?"

I also appreciate the underdog status.