Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why do people hate Loyales?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that many people do not think highly of Loyales, which I presume is the cause of there hardly being any threads on "pimping" out Loyales. It's usually a GL or RX that gets all the attention. Isn't the Loyale simply a later version of these cars, with the exact same engine? Is there a reason why they aren't very desirable?

Not that I feel ostracized for driving one, I'm just curious as to why everyone hates my baby :D

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have one i got from georgia for my wife- clean and in nice shape. put a 5spd dr in in. she drives it daily. 30 mpg.

so i dont hate them.

same as a gl except for some minor trim differences- does not have the rear cargo light, and some other odds and ends. big deal. basically the same car.

Not that I feel ostracized for driving one, I'm just curious as to why everyone hates my baby :D

You have some 'underground' peeps who feel the same way as you. A turbocharged Loyale I'd think would be desirable. Don't sweat it. It is what it is. Start a forum about the Loyale and they will come. :)

I love my '94 Loyale! good gas milage, great in snow, my wife likes to drive it, it's a great car. I use it as a family car/grocery getter/commuter, it's awsome. If I didn't have 3 other Subie projects I'd be pimpin the hell out of it, but that will have to wait.

Its not the loyales we hate.. Its the owners!!;)

J/K

Truth be told, the average Loyale was simply a stripped down GL. reat utilitarian vehicle, but thats about it. The earlier cars had more available options (turbo and such) to up the fun factor a little.

you can't beat my deal on a '91 Loyale 165k for $200, just needed some TLC. new brakes all around, fuel/air filter, plugs, o2, sensor tierod ends, battery, alternator and had to clean the elec. window contacts.yeah it had 90hp stock 14 yrs ago and now it probably has 60hp, but the 4wd works and it runs like a top. and the taxes are $50/yr and the insurance is sooo cheap.

Everyone has to find the niche they are comfortable in. I bought a nice lifted 84 wagon, but discovered it just wasn't me. So I got a 4WD Loyale wagon, lifted it and put on 27x8.50/14s for a total of 6" body lift (3" lift kit + 3"-radius taller tires). I love it! Gonna do the D/R 5-speed swap and maybe an LSD to do it right. With SPFI, A/C, power steering and being more modern than the pre-1985s, it's the right blend for me. And just because it's newer and more modern, I expect parts are easier to find and there's less rusting. Japanese manufacturers started treating their cars for rusting in the late 80s.

Actually rustproofing started for Soobs in 1985 - though it took a while for them to get it down.

I know of a 1992 Loyale that does have a D/R tranny from the factory.

I have nothing against the Loyales, I think they are a very good car.

I personally prefer the 1985/86 GL cars of all the EA82 cars because of the different control layout, and the dark blue interior offered. Other than that, I have nothing against them.

People who own newer cars probably don't like them because they are old and "boxy" - I say look at the newer Cadillacs before you call my Soob boxy :)

Truth be told, the average Loyale was simply a stripped down GL. reat utilitarian vehicle, but thats about it. The earlier cars had more available options (turbo and such) to up the fun factor a little.
This is interesting! So you are saying that a turbocharged version of the Loyale is lighter than a comparable GL10 vehicle (like a 4 door GL10 Loyale vs a 4 door 1986 GL10). Hrrmmm! How much do Loyales weigh anyways?

Edit: Just found this on 'Joe Spitz' site.

"WEIGHT (lbs)- curb weight: AWD Wagon - 2,635, AWD sedan - manual 2,490, auto 2,510

Front wheel drive: Wagon manual 2,490, auto 2,510, Sedan - manual 2,355, auto 2,395"

An AWD sedan is only 2490lbs. Hrrmmmm! FWD manual is 2355lbs. Hrmm, hrmmmm! Thanks!

GLs, and RXs came from the factory with things like d/r trannies, turbo, adjustable suspension, etc. There is less work to be done on a GL to make it a good offroader than with a Loyale. Like Bushbasher said, I foresee a lot of people using Loyale bodies with GL trannies and such in the near future due to the fact that the newer bodies are more available and have less rust on them.

So, in short, it's easier to start with a GL to make an offroader or an RX to make a rally car.

I am not really into them myself, not any more than any other wagon unless they have been modified to some great degree to make them more interesting. I don't find any other station wagon thrilling and I won't just because it has my brand on it. Don't confuse that to mean that I don't respect their durability and practicality.

Hey Tom, did you have to cut any to get those tyres on it??? Tim.

Just today I took the BFH to it to knock down about 1/16" to 1/8" at the rear of both front fender wells, for the tires to clear. That was the only mod necessary. Tires are just under 27" tall.

What's little?

Soobs (particularly newer ones) have available options that were/are not readily available on other cars at the time they were made, and the features cost less and work better.

I think the reason people hate Soobs is it makes their $40+k SUV look like crap in bad weather.

Or it may be the size ... but that's their problem.