Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 04 STI came right up to 170 but just a touch more would have had it hitting the rev limiter so that was the stopping point. It was also clearly the upper edge of any sort of reasonable aerodynamic performance. It is a sedan and not a wedge and it takes allot of power to shove that big thing through the air. If you want to perform well above 160 or so you pretty much need a wedge.

My 96 OBW (2.2L, 5 sp) tops out at 110MPH @ 5,000RPM. I have had my moms Legacy to 115 before...it also is a 2.2l, 5 sp.

Oooh, I think that means 96 is where the 110 speed cut was introduced. I'm pretty sure I've had my 95 Legacy brighton Wagon with a 2.2 and 5spd up to 120, and with up coming traffic I couldn't push it any faster.

My 04 STI came right up to 170

So I take it then when you had the ECU reflashed, by Vishnu I assume, that gets rid of the factory speed cut?

Keith

My 04 STI came right up to 170

170???!!! really?? I hope you were on a track.

"back in the day," I did 140 on a motorcycle for about 2 seconds. even then I thought I was crazy. I can't even imagine 170. Let's just say I feel like I cheated death once and I'll probably never drive anything into triple digits again.

I'm not criticizing you, I guess I'm just surprised that a sube can go 170.

My 96 OBW (2.2L, 5 sp) tops out at 110MPH @ 5,000RPM. I have had my moms Legacy to 115 before...it also is a 2.2l, 5 sp.

my gearing must be diff then yours,cause i was doing 105 the other day an my engine was only at about 4500rpms :-\

do the outbacks have diff gearing then legacys? mines a 2.2 94 with 4.111 for gears(atleast that's what the tag in the back says)

Not that you will really care but a Forester 2.5 na will hit top speed in 4th gear at 6000 rpm. It was a blistering (yawn) 105. It didn't have enough power to pull it past 97 in 5th gear. Maybe at sea level it would go faster.

d.

"f i remember correctly, subaru puts in a speed govenor at 110mph.. all of the newer subarus that i have driven ( from the begining of the legacy and on) have stopped at 110..... im not sure about the imprezas though......"

" So I take it then when you had the ECU reflashed, by Vishnu I assume, that gets rid of the factory speed cut?"

Yep, speed limit, fuel cut, codes for whatever, just about anything can be suppressed or deleted.

And YES any such driving was in an appropriate area and setting. The Lambaroo will be a 200Mph + car. The best I can say is that schools work, they are worth the money.

DSC03920.thumb.jpg

98 Legacy GT 2.5 4EAT ... Ran out of room for the pic.. but I've had it up to ~135 down a 5% downgrade.. I bought it with 45k miles on it and never did anything to the ECU except unplug it once in a while..

Nice. And that pics in focus too.

My 99 Legacy GT tops out at 131. I got my 96 GT up to 115 once, and it was an auto. And none of this was done downhill.

how do i get rid of my speed limiter?!?! how can i unplug the ecu?? ??!?!

the 03 civic ex redlines in 5th at around 7k at 140 heheh

my bronco2 hits the governer at 105.

the buick waggy .. well the speedo goes to 85, then theres the odoemeter way below, the needle is way bellow the odometer bouncing haha.. 3.8l jea! im geussing 125-135? the front was getting a little out of control.

the lifted f250 with the 460cu, 115-120? hahahah... speedo only went to 85.

the 93 ranger 2.3l - ran out of gusto at 95.

but you never heard any of this

92 Legacy Wagon, NA, 2.2L 120 held in rolling hills (gentle grades up and down) at midnight on a straight road in Nebraska on the way home from Boston this week. And my struts are shot at that. All in all, I'm impressed that it handled as well as it did. . .

• 2 months later...
My 96 Impreza with the 96 JDM WRX engine in it has a fuel cut out at about 118mph with is roughly 185kph. Did you even wonder why JDM speedo only go up to 180kph?

HAHHAHAHA....

then I wonder why my outback has a 140 mph speedo when the fuel cut is set to 110~112....it still pulls well until that point.