Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Actually their from Venezuala (SP), i've been in contact with a Subaru dealership down there and I am still trying to get some idea of a price. The best part is they are going to be for right hand drive cars. The cars in Australia are left hand drive so your shifting would be completely backwards. I have been talking with people from both countries, so the AU tranny might still be an option although I don't know how many people would like the reversed shifting pattern.

I'm certainly excited that someone else wants to get these in country, but i asked this very same question about 6 months ago and only 2 people even thought they might want one. the only way to make them some what cheap is the shipping coordinating.

I'd certainly want one if you could get them here.

As for the low range, its 1.19:1 like the RX, the adapter and custom driveshaft is cheaper for the money.

We are looking at importing the new dual range that subaru offers for outbacks down south but not here. Would anyone have any interest in buying one?

THough I suspect there could be less interest than here, have you presented this on the nasioc forum? Might pick up a coupla more interested parties there.

fyi

Actually their from Venezuala (SP), i've been in contact with a Subaru dealership down there and I am still trying to get some idea of a price. The best part is they are going to be for right hand drive cars. The cars in Australia are left hand drive so your shifting would be completely backwards. I have been talking with people from both countries, so the AU tranny might still be an option although I don't know how many people would like the reversed shifting pattern.
Well that sounds interesting, I know that they had them in Japan on the Impreza HX model, heard rumors about them being on some European models, but never thought to look in South America. I'll bet the shipping will be a killer (having worked in the shipping business before). Do you know which car they are on? I believe that they still make an EA81 series car for third world countries, and that they might have the dual range that the dealer is talking about. By the way, as others have said, there is no shift pattern difference, at least in the cars that I drove in Japan and Hong Kong.

Well, it look like their Forester has a dual range, here is a link to a web page from Subaru Venezuela, look under the Forester model 2.0X. http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.subaru.com.ve/&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Subaru%2522%252B%2522Venezuela%2522%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLC,GGLC:1969-53,GGLC:en

The Outback 2.5i and the Impreza 2.0GX have them also.

So as of now I have no pictures, but I do know they exist because if you go to the Subaru Website and put in country's like AU or Venezuala, you will find specs for dual range. I think they only offer them in those countries because there hwy infrastructure is not as developed as ours and they need the offroad capability. The main thing is the transmissions are built for the EJ series engines and will be a direct bolt on transmission, designed to handle the increased power (so now adapter plates). There may be some cutting in the floor board for the dual range shifer to fit, but from what I have seen in the past with Subarus, the holes will allready be there. If the shifting pattern is the same the Whoo Hooo, that makes doing business much easier, because I have a friend living in AU right now who will load a shipping container full of these transmissions and ship them this way. If I buy im not buying like one or two, I am going to buy like 50-100, so shipping costs will be cut down to make them affordable. I am glad to see that there is some interest in the transmissions. I will keep you all updated.

So as of now I have no pictures, but I do know they exist because if you go to the Subaru Website and put in country's like AU or Venezuala, you will find specs for dual range. I think they only offer them in those countries because there hwy infrastructure is not as developed as ours and they need the offroad capability. The main thing is the transmissions are built for the EJ series engines and will be a direct bolt on transmission, designed to handle the increased power (so now adapter plates). There may be some cutting in the floor board for the dual range shifer to fit, but from what I have seen in the past with Subarus, the holes will allready be there. If the shifting pattern is the same the Whoo Hooo, that makes doing business much easier, because I have a friend living in AU right now who will load a shipping container full of these transmissions and ship them this way. If I buy im not buying like one or two, I am going to buy like 50-100, so shipping costs will be cut down to make them affordable. I am glad to see that there is some interest in the transmissions. I will keep you all updated.

Yeah, I would think a 'pallet' would be the minimum you'd want to order. maybe some kinda 'cost plus' deal with a set cap and refundable deposit?

I dunno. how much is a new tranny right here in the States? How much is the STI's 6 speed?

If I buy im not buying like one or two, I am going to buy like 50-100, so shipping costs will be cut down to make them affordable. I am glad to see that there is some interest in the transmissions. I will keep you all updated.
I would think you could get more then 100 of them into a shipping container. Yes the shipping would be cheaper if you can do a whole container. They do have a 20 foot container, so wouldn't have to fill a 40 foot container. If your friend in AU can get ahold of some rear glass for a GC8 Impreza that has a hole for a rear wiper assembly, I know of two people who are looking for them. They would require some better packing if you were shipping them with the trannies. Let us know when you get some idea of prices, I'd hate to have you ship a container load here and find out people think the price is too high.

5mt D/R Gear ratio

1st 3.454

2nd 2.062

3rd 1.448

4th 1.088

5th 0.825

Reverse 3.333

Final reduction gear ratio 3.900

Auxiliary transmission ratio (low) 1.196

^^^^This is from subaru global website....

2.2 5mt gear ratios

1st 3.545

2nd 2.111

3rd 1.448

4th 1.088

5th 0.871

Final 4.111

What would the difference in gear ratios from the 5mt - 5mt d/r cause? The final is the biggest difference, there is very little difference in each gear.

The main thing is the transmissions are built for the EJ series engines and will be a direct bolt on transmission, designed to handle the increased power (so now adapter plates). There may be some cutting in the floor board for the dual range shifer to fit, but from what I have seen in the past with Subarus, the holes will allready be there.

so.....one of these d/r trans will be a direct-bolt-on application for later model ej series?

like a turbo charged 2.2 ej engine manufanctured pre-'95...for example...with no plate?!?!

if so...im f'ing in for one...i dont care how deep i've got to dig...i just hope it's reasonable.

neal

We may use our left hand to change gears but we sit in the right hand side of the cars to drive = Right hand drive? and if you do a bit more research you'll find the change patern is the same as yours.I'm fairly certain the 5mt dual range for EJ22 is a final drive of 3.9 btw, well this is what mine has.

camo

I just got contacted by my friend in Australia who just told me the same thing, he said the shift pattern is no different than here. From what I can tell the dual range brand new is only offered in the forrester. But, it looks like previous models of outbacks and legacy's may have had the dual range, so voila. It looks like its only a matter of time before we begin to get things squared away with the transmissions. I am way excited because this will be the best thing since canned beer :brow: . Could you imagine using four low in a turbo! That would be just nutty up hill climbs.