Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why has Subaru neglected us all of these years, I protest their bad tactics.
They kept the WRX away from us for almost 10 years, now you can get a turbo in everything except a B9. Maybe it's coming, but then we'll have to buy new cars instead of making our favorite ones better.

This translates into an overall ratio of

Dual range high

1st 13.47

5th 3.218

Dual range low

1st 16.11

5th 3.849

Single range

1st 14.57

5th 3.580

So by switching to a dual range you get a little lower 1st gear, and a little higher 5th gear. But would you have to swap out the rear diff with a 3.9? But I thought the US spec outbacks came with a 3.9 rear diff already, not the 4.11 rear that fnlyfnd quoted.

I still want a 1.82 low range like the older gen subaru's dual range had...

5mt D/R Gear ratio

1st 3.454

2nd 2.062

3rd 1.448

4th 1.088

5th 0.825

Reverse 3.333

Final reduction gear ratio 3.900

Auxiliary transmission ratio (low) 1.196

^^^^This is from subaru global website....

2.2 5mt gear ratios

1st 3.545

2nd 2.111

3rd 1.448

4th 1.088

5th 0.871

Final 4.111

What would the difference in gear ratios from the 5mt - 5mt d/r cause? The final is the biggest difference, there is very little difference in each gear.

Like everyone else, I'd certainly like to know the cost...

I know you can get a redone dual range through Mudrat w/ lockers for around a grand (forester ranger has he first d/r in a US forester)

But I'd more like a tranny that's built for an AE2.2 rather than dealing with a newer engine..

A rebuilt d/r for my 95 lagacy would certainly be sweet!!

I've got the height (outback srut lift), but can't do steep, about anything else I'm cool with...

Keep us posted, I may be psyched for the right price...

We are looking at importing the new dual range that subaru offers for outbacks down south but not here. Would anyone have any interest in buying one?

• 2 weeks later...
interested also....would like to know cost. Also, as someone else said....if there are some coupd rear windows with wiper holes in them I would love to talk about that too. :D

Have you spoken with a glass or mirror shop about drilling a hole? maybe you could snag a coupla normal rear windows from the wrecking yard - or even practice on some non-soob window first - and use a diamond bit to drill a hole. If there is a custom aquarium builder or a Gem & Mineral club in the area, they may have some ideas for you too. Before cheap diamond was availble, folk would use copper tubing and silicon carbide grit (say - 60-90 grit), adapt the tubing to be chucked in a drill press, build a 'well' with modeling clay around the intended hole area, use water and grit slurry and the copper tubing would eneventually grind through the glass. 'Rockhounds' make clocks this way in slabs of pertrified wood and agate - much harder than glass.

If you drilled 2 or 3, you could probably sell the xtras to pay for everything such that your window was free! (except maybe for the labor)

http://www.cyberrockhound.com/lapidary_diamond_drills.htm

just a thought.

Could you imagine using four low in a turbo! That would be just nutty up hill climbs.

Yes it makes for lots of torque with the low range and the extra power of the turbo but the only downside is the reliability of the gearset i have a friend with a turbo EJ20 wagon with a dual range box and he has just rebuilt for the 3rd time as many months second gear has failed twice :( but hes getting better at fixing it :) i also have a EJ20T in a 92 liberty sedan with a dual range now, it used to be an auto but i got sick of fixing it. the auto that is. but i expect i'll have to play with the manual eventually as they just dont last as long as the proper turbo manual boxes. But thems the breaks

regards camo

I am really interested in this as well, as I just got my lift done on my 98 Legacy, and if the numbers for ratios quoted above are correct, this would be perfect with my 27" BFGs, as in High it would return my gearing to stock, fixing the speedo and odometer inaccuracies, and in low it would give me the little extra needed for those steep hills. Keep us updated!

• 4 weeks later...
I am really interested in this as well, as I just got my lift done on my 98 Legacy, and if the numbers for ratios quoted above are correct, this would be perfect with my 27" BFGs, as in High it would return my gearing to stock, fixing the speedo and odometer inaccuracies, and in low it would give me the little extra needed for those steep hills. Keep us updated!

this thread is a bit to unque for me to be thrown into the annals of the message board.

shadyirishman what is the deal dude?!?!?! i would buy one if the price was reasonable and i dont even have an ej for it to go into.

The newer motors have a significant jump in power compared to the old motors, so the extremely lower gearing is not needed. I mean yes you could use it for some rock crawling, but hwy driving would not be as practical unless you had the new dual range.

Umm, isn't that the point, the low range for rock crawling and the high range for highway? I find highwya driving very practial with the old dual range, 35 mpg.