Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Mint 84 Touring Wagon

Just purchased an 84 Touring Wagon in Mint Condition. I have to tell someone, so where better than USMB. I purcahsed this car of the original owner (he had it for 21 Yrs). Last year he drove 1000 km in it!! It is immaculate with a full Subaru Dealer service history and it is a rare 4sp manual (all the other touring wagon's I have seen before 84 are 3sp. auto - GRRRR!!).

Has everything that was "high tech'" in 84. Ie Power Windows, steering, AC, velour trim, glovebox mirror, digi dash (Still working), cruise control. I love the factory chrome wheels and 'roo bar' and particulary love the gold lettering on the back. This car was originally a dealer demo, hence the factory addition roof racks, etc, the decals came from the factory.

It is brilliant mechanically (but did need new clutch and carby rebuild) and I hope to keep it this way. The previous owner was such a perfectionists that all the parts ever used are genuine Subaru parts (really strange to see a subaru blue oil filter).

Anyway I love it - hope you enjoy looking at it too

You can view it here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?ppuser=11974&cat=500

Thanks guys, yep she is a smick wagon. This is not photoshop, I'm not that hi tech, had to get someone else to do the photos. Has only done 70K Miles or 120K Kilometres, thats 10,000 KM (6000 M per year). There are no 'plans' for this. I want it to look original as possible, it is only three years from being a 'classic' car!!

I have got another ' rust bucket' to go in the dirt with :grin:. The thing now is how I convince the family to keep all the Subarus.

Awesome car! You are very lucky! This is so neat to see on a couple of different levels. As an American, I have never seen an ea81 touring wagon. Nor have I seen the gold badges. Is it a turbo? We didn't get ea81 touring wagons over here if I am not mistaken.

And, the car is in immaculate shape!! What, was the thing locked in an air-tight vault for the last 20 yrs?

Very bery impressive.

-Jack

Chrome wheels are virtually the same as the white wheels, I have not seen them on a wagon, but there is a GL-5 Coupe and a sedan I've seen around with them on. Our Subywreck wreckers have a few sets, so try some JY.

Australian cars never had turbo EA81 (have seen one with Jap import motor), so no turbo (unfortunate).

As for the condition it really is a credit to the previous owner, he did all the hard work. Now I just enjoy driving around (I get WRX owners with their jaw dropped or a thumbs up, when they see it.)

The previous owners (it was really hers) took great delight in telling me that they washed the car every fortnight on the same day (Wednesday). They also never ate food or drink in it and never took it off road or on the beach!!!!!! They both cried (literally) as I drove away.

I should mention that the purcahse price was a cool $2000 (aus) or about $1200 (US). I think good price for a car in this condition.

Does it have the split rear seat? or did they only get those in Europe?

Yep has the split rear seat, and also still has the rear parcel blind thingy (with the springs still working). Also has cruise control. Even has carpet (which is nice in an ozzie sooby). Most of the early soobys here were subjected to extreme tarriffs, so they were mostly fairly basic to keep the $$ down

Yep has the split rear seat, and also still has the rear parcel blind thingy (with the springs still working). Also has cruise control. Even has carpet (which is nice in an ozzie sooby). Most of the early soobys here were subjected to extreme tarriffs, so they were mostly fairly basic to keep the $$ down

Split rear seat!?!?!?!?! RAD!

Is it 50/50 or 60/40?

Wow..I want a rear seat swap for my wagon now. :slobber:

Split rear seat!?!?!?!?! RAD!

Is it 50/50 or 60/40?

Wow..I want a rear seat swap for my wagon now. :slobber:

The split rear seats are 50/50. Unlike a normal wagon you cannot lay them right down (unless remove back seat first). They are velour trim and really bulky with padding. They are carpeted on the back. This model does not have the rear ride height adjustment ( ie I think touring wagon means - not to go offroad in).

... Sweet freaking wheels! I keep telling everybody that those wagonwheels would look sweet chromed.

I don't really like the old touring wagons, but yours gets an exption!

When I bought my Brumby (I put a deposit on it 4 days before I picked it up) the owner almost rang me up and said he wasn't selling it! But his wife put him straight!

So, where abouts in Adel you live? I'm far south, down near Cape Jervis, only half an hours drive to fisheries (offroading spot.)