high range

no wind

ambient temp 45*

unifilter intake

89 octane 10% ethanol

otherwise stock

shouldn't it go faster???

my '81 vw rabbit pickup diesel with ?50 hp goes 90, speedometer stops at 85

use premium fuel and rev it out some more. (in a controlled environment of course!)

pfffft...:-p

i've had my 79 brat get to 90... mind you this wasn't completely under its own power... i had a decent stretch of downhill and my foot to the floor...

the brat is amazingly stable at that speed...

on flats (as flat as it gets around here really) i've gotten it up to 80... i bet if you wind it out you can easily get going to well over 100...:D

pfffft...:-p

i've had my 79 brat get to 90... mind you this wasn't completely under its own power... i had a decent stretch of downhill and my foot to the floor...

the brat is amazingly stable at that speed...

on flats (as flat as it gets around here really) i've gotten it up to 80... i bet if you wind it out you can easily get going to well over 100...:D

yep... 105mph on level ground in my 88 gl10 turbo wagon.....that was with the blown air suspension....once it was back to factory ride height 99mph is all i got......

The fastes I have had my wagon was 105.. ANd that was me, 2 100 pound dogs and a bunch of crap in the car.

This is when the motor was still stock.. oh and I had a gaping vacuum/boost leak at one of the intake manifold gaskets.

I'm sure it is faster now.. just haven't tried it out.

Oh.. and at 4500, its still just getting warmed up;)

The fastest I have had my GL-10 up to was 107MPH on a backroad. I'm sure it might have been able to go faster, but I kinda ran out of straight road, so I had to slow down to make a curve. The RX is a little more aerodynamic than the GL-10 Wagon, plus it sits a bit lower, so I would think that it would go a bit faster than 105MPH with some mods.

Patrick

I've had my mildy modified RX around 112ish once, then I backed down as I was getting fairly high up in the RPM's. Give me a 6th speed and I could get it to 150+ no problem. The mostly stock RX's are not really meant for high top speeds, just to get up to it really quick :burnout:

I easily hit 90 in my MPFI nonturbo RX when passing an aggressive semi truck once, and it was still pulling. I have no doubt the turbo has more potential. Heck, my 87 turbo XT with the 3AT would do 110, and that was only limited because it hit redline in that skimpy 3rd gear that they had.

That engine will never have the advance to gain higher rpms, 100mph seems to be its design limitation, with weight facts etc. .Changing to taller gear would kill its torque max at slower rpm, Bigger cams, intake, higher compression,would be minimal gain (under 50 hp) as well as ECM to gain fire/air/fuel customization. The crank design is physically permanent for low rpm torque (another cylinder fires, very very close to the last one firing, therefore not "thinking ahead" for a race like advance), as a 4x4 soob (most of them) would need.I have encountered 1.8L 4 bangers that screamed (old Audi A4, even an old dodge omni: Of course they are all DEAD and buried now).

A true example of this was an air cooled boxer in a VW beetle that changed crank and cams, to in fact become a tire burning screamer on same jugs and bore and stroke , the crank was simply aftermarketed to advance very quickly, with cams tuned to match.

Longevity is the intelligence of the EA82 more than anything (very tight).:)

I have had my 86 GL-10 to 125mph before and it still wasn't out of breath (just slipping the clutch like mad)..... pretty scary in a station wagon!!!! Allthough if I had a good up-pipe, cams, clutch, and a t4 it would go much faster (then gearing would be the limit).

Scott

i have had my 88 GL wagon with 5 speed daul range. that is all stock up to 115 to 120. and i didn't have the rpm's in the red either was pushing around 6 and half to 7. i have to to the floor but still gaining speed but ran out of raod and had to slow down. abd the was mostly flad with a up and down in it. and right now i am putting a a super coil and twin spark spark plugs in with with racing wires. all that is suppst give me like 10 or so more horses under the hood. :headbang::burnout:

That engine will never have the advance to gain higher rpms, 100mph seems to be its design limitation, with weight facts etc. .Changing to taller gear would kill its torque max at slower rpm, Bigger cams, intake, higher compression,would be minimal gain (under 50 hp) as well as ECM to gain fire/air/fuel customization. The crank design is physically permanent for low rpm torque (another cylinder fires, very very close to the last one firing, therefore not "thinking ahead" for a race like advance), as a 4x4 soob (most of them) would need.I have encountered 1.8L 4 bangers that screamed (old Audi A4, even an old dodge omni: Of course they are all DEAD and buried now).

A true example of this was an air cooled boxer in a VW beetle that changed crank and cams, to in fact become a tire burning screamer on same jugs and bore and stroke , the crank was simply aftermarketed to advance very quickly, with cams tuned to match.

Longevity is the intelligence of the EA82 more than anything (very tight).:)

are you trying to describe rod ratio? what are you trying to say in techinal terms by thinking ahead?

its not a rx but its a rs turbo mildly modded with high comp carb pistons bigger valves, shaved heads, delta cams, intercooled and 9psi boost and it will peg the speedo and keep on going the fastest i've had is about 5600rpm in 5th (I think that is about 140mph) that with a 2wd 5spd ea81 trans i put in it to get better gas milage on the interstate

the gear ratio of this trans is .725 in 5th and a final drive of 3.70

I've had my 80 1800 gl auto sedan's speedo pegged with the tach @ redline going down hill

a 2wd 5spd ea81 trans i put in it to get better gas milage on the interstate

the gear ratio of this trans is .725 in 5th and a final drive of 3.70

what kind of mileage are you getting, i'm looking into this same transmission - except FWD EA82, but i think the same ratio. did mileage go up?

the ea 82 5spd 2wd trans is not the same

here are the gear ratios to compair

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th final

EA 81 5spd 3.307 1.950 1.266 .885 .725 3.70

EA 82 5spd 3.636 1.950 1.344 .971 .783 3.90

before changed the trans i was getting 27 city 34 highway after 31 city 37-41 highway cruising at 60-70mph i like the gear ratio alot better you can get up to highway speeds faster and 1st gear isn't nearly as low so, its not the just get you moving gear that it was with the 5spd fulltime 4wd d/r trans that was in it

awesome, thanks!

how does it handle climing the mountains in 5th on the interstate? need to downshift?

dang hijacker......thanks for the heads up!

your going to put this trans in a n/a EA 82 xt aren't you it will pull down on hill 5th then (but thats in stock form I don't know what you have done to yours so, its up to how torque it makes below 3500rpm) but that said mine will pull down on a very steep long hill (it handles hills not the interstate fine there is one stetch highway that i travel often i do have to down shift on aka us 19 between abington va & leban va.) but I just down shift 4th and it can just about peg the speedo out going up hill :eek: but that with 155hp 167tq at the flywheel

oh by the way how fast are your xts and xt6s