Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rust In Iowa

This is my Dad's wagon. it's being parted out shortly, so some of the electrical bits and seats will be donated to Mountain Grizzly.

This is the change that occurred in roughly 4.5 years.... granted it wasn't perfect to begin with, but it looked good. can't say the same now.....

Rust In Iowa

It's completely dependant on the salt too. My car has been off the public road all winter, due to the engine issues. I've driven it plenty in the snow (what little we got), and left it parked on grass. The rust that I repaired last year hasn't grown. I know it would have eaten the car alive if I had driven it.

There's a reason we hide from salt trucks.

Judging by the bondo on the RR wheelwell, I'd say that car was a rustbucket to begin with. The PO filled and painted over the existing rust, then sold it. So the car looked good when you bought it, but the cancer was already eating the car away. I know, it sux. Regardless of how well it was masked a few years ago, salt is what killed it.:mad::(

Judging by the bondo on the RR wheelwell, I'd say that car was a rustbucket to begin with. The PO filled and painted over the existing rust, then sold it. So the car looked good when you bought it, but the cancer was already eating the car away. I know, it sux. Regardless of how well it was masked a few years ago, salt is what killed it.:mad::(

yeah, it had some issues, and rust was cut out, as much as possible without removing the body :lol: (for the record, I don't like body-work)

he got 62k miles out of it in 4.5 years. the body has 117k on it now!!! had 55k on it when it was "fixed-up"

WOW :eek:

Do you guys actually have that bad of salt usage out there in Iowa? I have a friend who lives in Central Iowa and none of his older vehicles had that bad of rust on them.

He had an '87 Chevy 4x4 his dad bought brand new, and the only rusted part on it was one of the gas tanks and the rear wheel well lips. Chevy Trucks from that era rust bad too.

yeah. before a storm hits, they usually send the spray trucks out, and spray down a brine solution in preparation, so the streets end up being white :)

where the wagon's been for the last 5 years though, it's all hills, so it's always salted after being plowed, and they get more snow than where I live...

WOW :eek:

Do you guys actually have that bad of salt usage out there in Iowa? I have a friend who lives in Central Iowa and none of his older vehicles had that bad of rust on them.

He had an '87 Chevy 4x4 his dad bought brand new, and the only rusted part on it was one of the gas tanks and the rear wheel well lips. Chevy Trucks from that era rust bad too.

Whenever you're ready to move to the PNW, we'll be waiting.

Id like to live in the same state as you again.

Westward ho the wagons to where they don't use salt!

A few days ago I found 2 wagons in the junkyard, one had 361K and the other 389K and both looked like they would have driven into the yard.