Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Favorite Subaru Feature.....

I thought someone had a thread similar to this, but I couldn't find it. So I'll start it. The blogger, BFT, had written a post about a new California law requiring the headlights to be turned on if the wipers are also turned on during rainy or foggy days. I mentioned that I always leave my lights on, as they turn off automatically when I turn off my car. I love that feature.

There are many features I love about my Subies, past and present. But my all time favorite still has to be.... drum roll please (there should be an emoticon for that)....

The Third Eye.

Such a unique feature. I know of no other car that had one. And I don't really know if it's usefull; and maybe that's why I love it so.

PS. I AM going to mod Murphy, the 87 $500 T-Wag, and intall one the grill... after I change the ugly greenish digi-dash to an 86 orange analogue one!

I do love the shift on the fly 4lo. My favorite feature would be that its a grocery wagon that you can sleep in, move a house with, camp in, and go mudding in. Its the most adaptable and usefull car on the road. Also good gas milage, and its a small car not a huge ford Excursion dinosaur. And last but definately not least they RALLY. I have never seen another family 4wd wagon that can handle and rally like a subaru. Not even a 4wd toyota tercel wagon can rally as hard as an EA82. :clap: Thank You Japan.:clap:

I do love the shift on the fly 4lo. My favorite feature would be that its a grocery wagon that you can sleep in, move a house with, camp in, and go mudding in. Its the most adaptable and usefull car on the road. Also good gas milage, and its a small car not a huge ford Excursion dinosaur. And last but definately not least they RALLY. I have never seen another family 4wd wagon that can handle and rally like a subaru. Not even a 4wd toyota tercel wagon can rally as hard as an EA82. :clap: Thank You Japan.:clap:

You forgot about musical gear - bass rig, guitar cases and cabinets, drums, etc. etc...

the fact that i tried to kill it and it survived

I'll second this one, I've been in so many situations where I shake my head and think "this things never going to run the same after [ insert stupid driving/offroad descision here ]" , but the thing still hums along like nothing happened.

There is a good chance that if the Subaru's didn't have the dual range transmissions of the 80's we wouldn't be talking here in the first place.

I think the reason people like the cars is the fact that they can go where other cars can't. The Dual Range tranny allowed Subarus to go places where all-wheel drive cars of the same generation have now faded into obscurity.

My favorite feature was the D/R tranny, followed closely by the cyclopse light.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester

- Dual Range Tranny

- Hill Holder (yes I love this thing!)

- Small - medium car with 4WD capability - easy to navigate in traffic

- The fact that so many bolt-on options are available for an older car - Rear Discs, LSD, Full Time 4WD, etc, etc

The fact that if you pull the front shafts on a hatch and run it around in 4x4, the thing handles like it's on rails, has almost neutral steering, and has no problem with long, controlled power slides.

Or the fact that you can drive down any dirt road in Mason county, bounce the rear diff off a couple rocks, and still drive home.

Or the fact that you can have the engine out and the clutch off in less than an hour.

Or just that it's a compact CAR with better wheeling ability than a stock Jeep Liberty.