Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What gas Mileage do you get?

Some people say I should be getting 40 with this Loyale. And some of this is coming from people who used to own them. Are they blowing cool air up my shorts or what?

I get mid-20s. '90 Loyale Manual Tranny Non-Turbo 2WD FI with 190K on it.

I was looking for a way to put a poll feature on this, but I'm curious what others get.

• Year
  • Make
  • Trans
  • Motor
  • 2 or 4 WD
  • Mileage

Those are pretty much the variables, aside from the flux-capacitor ad-ons, right?

Post yours here. I'm very curious. I did a search, and I'm really surprised to not see a thread about this. I'm wondering if these "Yeah, Davalos, I used to get 42 miles to the gallon with mine!" comments I'm getting are a load of snot.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an 89 GL sedan with 3 spd automatic and 303,000+ mi on the odometer. Last week I drove to CA from OK and back on I-40 and averaged 31 to 32 mpg doing 65 to 70 mi/hr. The car doesn't have air so the windows are open.

My former car, an 87 GL wagon 4WD with 5spd manual got 35 mpg on similar trips cruising 65 to 70 mi/hr.

The 91 loyale 4wd I just traded in consistently got almost dead on 29mpg. It had 245,000 miles, and got the same mileage since I bought it with 105,000. It didn't seem to matter if I was on the highway or in town (but I hardly ever drove it in town). Even with a canoe or surfboard strapped on top.

It was pretty much stock, sxcept for a yakima rack, and the various parts that had fallen off.

The low fuel light would always come on after right about 325 miles.

It was a wagon with a manual transmission. Push button 4wd, but I only used the 4wd when I was driving on the beach, or to get through a bad hole. No snow or muddy roads around here.

The 91 loyale 4wd I just traded in consistently got almost dead on 29mpg. It had 245,000 miles, and got the same mileage since I bought it with 105,000. It didn't seem to matter if I was on the highway or in town (but I hardly ever drove it in town). Even with a canoe or surfboard strapped on top.

It was pretty much stock, sxcept for a yakima rack, and the various parts that had fallen off.

The low fuel light would always come on after right about 325 miles.

86 GL 4WD wagon with 188K rough miles and a number of things still to fix. I get about 29-30mpg no matter what I do. I have heard of these cars getting 40mpg but I find that hard to believe (although I am open to the possibility). Best mileage I ever got was on my 80 Honda Civic GL (I miss that car sometimes) I got 49mpg once while traveling cross country.

Kevin

Some people say I should be getting 40 with this Loyale. And some of this is coming from people who used to own them. Are they blowing cool air up my shorts or what?

I get mid-20s. '90 Loyale Manual Tranny Non-Turbo 2WD FI with 190K on it.

I was looking for a way to put a poll feature on this, but I'm curious what others get.

• Year
  • Make
  • Trans
  • Motor
  • 2 or 4 WD
  • Mileage

Those are pretty much the variables, aside from the flux-capacitor ad-ons, right?

Post yours here. I'm very curious. I did a search, and I'm really surprised to not see a thread about this. I'm wondering if these "Yeah, Davalos, I used to get 42 miles to the gallon with mine!" comments I'm getting are a load of snot.

I get over 40 with 160k not far away... My Dl freakishly went into the high 40's and 50's. Get "the pig" out of the engine, without opening it up much. It is a miracle for the ea82.Clean clean clean. my current loyale , when I first got it,with a timing belt off a tooth and egr failing, still stayed in the high 20's with the smell of fuel that made me keep the window open. I have seen this posted before, and the majority it seems, averages it out to low 30's. I have had 2 freak soobs apparently :confused: . my fuel mileages are incredible, and not too shabby on power either, well over 100k miles original.

well before my speedo cable broke:mad: i was getting 28+ mpg with mixed mostly city and some highway driving, car is a 89 xt-6 with 165,000 on the body,??? on the transmission i think it's somewhere over 200,000, and 115,000 on the engine:headbang:

lightly modded exhaust and filter

87 GL turbowagon, 5 speed d/r, 5 lug conversion, I used to get 24 in town, 26-28 highway, now I get about 20 city and 23-24 highway (needs an 02 sensor, I'm just too lazy to put it in)

90 Legacy wagon, 5 speed, FT4WD, 24 or so in town, 26 highway

93 Impreza EJ18, 4EAT, 2WD, 18-20 in town, 24-32 highway. This is a weird one, if you drive it a lot in town, it gets worse and worse mileage, then if you take it on the highway it gets better, best was 32 coming back from Wyoming, and after a good road trip it'll get 25-26 in town, which will drop from there over several tanks.

Just for kicks: 92 Dodge Ram, 4 speed auto, 4WD, 12 valve Cummins diesel, 16-18 city/highway (doesn't get much better on the highway, although on long trips grannying it up hills, I got 22 MPG coming back from Wyoming, unloaded. Loaded I get about 14 or so, depends on what I'm towing and how many hills I have to climb, I averaged just under 14 coming back from Wyoming in December with my Polara on a U-Haul trailer (those things are WAY under-rated, I had to have at least 5000 lbs on that trailer...)

Best mileage I ever got in a Subie was 36 in my 83 GL-10 2WD 5 speed sedan, cruising up to Vancouver @ 55.

Best mileage of any car: 82 VW Rabbit diesel, 38 city, 45-50 highway. (But topped out at like 65 unless you got a nice straight stretch)

spfi 87 GL-10, NA 3AT 2WD, i deliver pizzas and drive like a bat out of hell.. with occasional AC use im seeing about 23mpg.. thats all city. before i fixed the AC i had a steady 25 mpg city. I was amazed at how much gas it eats using it as little as i do.

However, i have a leaking head gasket, and want to check my timing. also may have O2 sensor and CAS issues, have to recheck codes. these figures are from before a new (junkyard) TPS was installed and calibrated (installed 11 days ago, calibrated today, :eek: )

in 1993 i owned an XT that was only a few years old. 4 cylinder EA82, same engine as the loyale but with MPFI and better aerodynamics. FWD manual. on all highway trips i'd get 40-42 mpg at 70-75 mph the entire way. did it more times than i can count. driving around the 55-60 mark should improve that.

but there are some contingencies here....this is over 10 years ago, maybe the gas was a little different back then, i don't know? the motor must be running in excellent condition. how is the alignment, bearings, drivetrain doing? also, this was all highway mileage, no city driving at all. i think i'd question the calculations of anyone saying they're getting over 40 mpg with stop and go driving.

first you need to consider your driving habits. are you light on the pedal and what kind of driving are you doing. if you think you're still far off i'd look at the condition of the engine, realizing it is very old and may need a serious tune up or have issues that don't allow for highest possible mpg.

40 is attainable but i would'nt consider it a given for all EA82's in all driving conditions, it is more than likely the exception and not the rule. the motors are old and few people drive in a way that allows little stop and go driving. a 4mpg difference at this mileage is only %10, not a huge percentage change. at 20 mpg....you'd hardly notice a %10 difference as it's only 2mpg.

the 150,000 mile injectors i've sent off and had professionally rebuilt and cleaned worked fine but they also tested as "dripping" or "leaking", so they're using and loosing fuel all the time, not just during the short duty cycle when the injector is opened. that's wasted fuel and not surprising on a 15 year old injector with that many miles. if the vehicle is loosing fuel, there's no way to remedy that without removing them and having them tested and rebuilt. service runs $50 - $100 depending where you send them.

Murphy, the $500 87 T-Wag, is getting great mileage right now. But thats because it blew a head gasket two weeks ago and I haven't been driving it :grin:.

When running, I was getting about 20 / 21 sucky mileage, but that will change soon for the better when I scrap the 3 speed a/t and replace it with the 5 speed hi / lo manual.

'86 BRAT GL D/R 4spd, 32/36 Weber on an EA-82 carb manifold, timing @ 10* BTDC. Stock Y-pipe with custom rigged piping afterwards, (needs replaced bigtime).

I've been tracking the mileage for some time now, since around 2-06. Most of the driving is done on back roads, very little in town driving. I do a 64 mile round trip to work every day. For the past 6 weeks, I carry a passenger, a co-worker. For the most part, top speed is 60, but usually 50-55 MPH is the norm.

I've seen anything from 22-23 MPG at the begining, to 32 MPG, varies from tank to tank. I've been playing around with timing settings, and tweaking on the carb, but haven't tried different jets, yet. I've also changed driving habits some. Not sure I'm getting the same "topping off of the tank" though, as the gauge needle will stay above the full mark longer on some fill-ups then others.

All ignition components are new, oil changes done at roughly 2500 miles and using 10/40 oil. I've replaced the tie-rod ends along with ball-joints, still need to have alignment checked though. Got a few issues still with the front-end, so I'm waiting to get that taken care of before alignment. Need to replace the axles all around also. Don't have one good boot on any axle, front ones are clicking now.

Thinking I can achive 35+ MPG once I get suspension/steering cleaned up, and get a better exhaust system under it. New tires may help also, I know it sure needs them before winter gets here.

89 GL wagon

5 spd manual

front wheel drive

mileage: 239,000+ and counting

average: 30-33 mpg

will go down with cold weather (warm up time ya know)

paid $150 for this car 5 years ago - i think I have gotten my money's worth...

other half's car:

89 GL wagon

5 spd manual

dual range 4 whl drive

210,000+

average mpg: 31-32

(he drives like an old grandpa too! LOL)

Wow ... ok, so these Biaches who tell me I can get 40+ are lying to me, or exaggerating quite a bit about how much they got with theirs

I USED to drive a '91 E-350 1-ton Van with a 350 V8, RWD, 235,000miles. I got 4-6 in the City and 10-12 on the highway.

So going from that to the Subaru is night and day .... I shouldn't complain.

Any good tips on zapping-up the mileage on these things, besides "Take the Lead out!"

Tire Pressure

Air Filter

Plugs, PCV

Anything else?

Someone told me to put a few drops of acetone in my gas tank ... but he's the same guy who said "Dude, I'll give you a dollar if you can hold this firecracker in your hand for 3 seconds - do't worry - the fuse is 4 seconds long - honest!" when I was a kid ... he also used to joke about "horsepower means there's little horses in there, and horses like sugar"

Yeah, I think your buddies are razzing you--I've had four subes over the years, and I've never seen 30 mpg out of any of them. 'Course, driving in WV. is all stop and go driving--mainly because these other guys stop or won't go.:rolleyes: I did have an 82 Honda Civic that got 30city/40+hwy but it rusted away--it was fun while it lasted.