Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Painting the hatch, need some suggestions....

75subie

i`m going to paint the hatch black, but i need some suggestions. what do you guys think would look best,

1. Black with gold stripes and gold wheels

2. black with red stripe and red wheels

3. black with white stripe and white wheels

4. black with silver stripe and silver wheels

Or??

here is the hatch in question...

soooob008.jpg

you want my two bits on this??

you asked for it.. :grin:

well first off, are you aware that racing stripes are functional?? the outside edge is determined by the point where, from the driver's eye, an invisible line (drawn along the pavement that even with the outside edge of your wheel) disappears into the hood of the car. the INside of the stripe is determined by the point where the same line disappears for the passenger side. so to re-state, the outside edges of the stripes are the distance between the driver's side of the vehicle and the point where the invisible line disappears.. and the inside edges are determined by the invisible line on the passengers side. i hope that made sense, ive never been able to explain it without using my hands and a car to demonstrate. one final attempt at a re-wording.. when you sit in the car with functional racing stripes, look at the outside drivers edge.. thats where your wheel is.. then look at the inside passenger is.. thats where THAT wheel is.. hey, that was simple!

I do like the idea of the racing stripes, because on many vehicles "functional" racing stripes wouldnt look right at all... but the shape of the hatch is thus that the functional ones will still be attractive, so its not something to take for granted. IIRC, the first ones were on either mini coopers or shelby cobras (probly the only time in history those two cars could EVER get confused)

try sitting in a ford taurus, or something like that, and point out to yourself where those lines would be sometime. ridiculous looking.

anyhow, on to the wheels, have you considered painting part and leaving part bare? as in, paint the face and leave the insides bare metal, or vice versa.. ive got similar rims on my Zcar right now and ive thought about that alot. wouldnt consider painting them all one solid color though. or red, at all... although red black AND gold is not a bad color combination... if you want red stripes and gold wheels...

i would say that the best look would be gold stripes, black paint, bare wheels. you might look into painting the insides of the wheels gold, that would be an interesting effect. maybe even red on the insides.. with bare metal faces. i think red and gold wheels would be a bit much though.

well, thats what i think. whatever thats worth :grin:

gold wheels are nice, but painting rough mag wheels like that gold can come out less than nice. it takes the right color paint to look right, thats one of the things i have against it. its not gold wheels, but painting wheels gold, yanno? the effect is not the same when the gold paint is used for accent instead of all over, thats why i put it the way i did.

As a seasoned professional, DONT PAINT IT! The car looks good. maybe a decal or two but no paint. As for the wheels well, take and media blast to get really clean, then starting with course and working up to fine, that would be oh 100grit to 600grit, sand the top portions of the fins of the turbine wheels along with the outer ring, doing this will polish them up to a satin finish, at this point paint un-sanded areas with black then clearcoat entire wheel, along with Dark tinted windows the whole black white contrast will really stand out.

epoxy based alpine white! Phosphourescent illumination that will take a 12 guage shotgun pellets. Don't hesitate to set your coffee on it, jump on the hood, throw rocks... and oh, thats just everyday life.

Black is opposite my favorite... but you did ask opinions. :) The white soobs have a special meaning... It was one of few subaru colors historically. where they all have black trim, acheiving contrast and looks is easiest with white.

As a seasoned professional, DONT PAINT IT! The car looks good. maybe a decal or two but no paint. As for the wheels well, take and media blast to get really clean, then starting with course and working up to fine, that would be oh 100grit to 600grit, sand the top portions of the fins of the turbine wheels along with the outer ring, doing this will polish them up to a satin finish, at this point paint un-sanded areas with black then clearcoat entire wheel, along with Dark tinted windows the whole black white contrast will really stand out.

That, exactly. Those wheels would absolutely rock with polished faces and black painted reliefs. Especially with the white car offsetting them. Maybe some nice white letter tires, and you wind up with an absolutely timeless classic of a car.

since no one has said it

paint the car....

pink!:lol:

kidding, like it was said earlier, stick with the white (black doesn't show dirt as well)... add some mud and good to go.

although since you seem to want it black. +1 vote for silver all around