Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Frankenwagon gets boosted.....

Numbchux

alright, so I had planned to be a bit secretive about this.....but it's going to be a rather long-term project (hope to have it up and running by next summer though), so screw it....

Few weeks ago, I bought this:

S7301250.jpg

a v4 Link LEM ECU. mmmmmmmmm........still need a few things before it'll be fully usable, but the bulk of it is here.

And after studying the manual for it, I realized it's only designed to control a 2-wire Idle-air solenoid. and subarus are 3.....so I picked up this on ebay for $10.

S7301248.jpg

from a '90 Audi 200. 2 wire, and doesn't mount right to the intake. shouldn't be too hard to fab a flange to bolt to the subaru intake where the old IAC was, and plumb this in there.

then, this showed up......

S7301246.jpg

an Eaton M62 Supercharger from a '00 Mercedes C230. only has 25k miles on it. I took the intake and exhaust manifolds off it and polished them on the wire wheel on my bench grinder. now they're all shiny :lol: . I also re-mounted the high-pressure one 90* from where it was stock so it points more towards where the subaru tb is.

you can see the line that I drew on it, where I plan to cut it off, and weld a plate over the hole to only use the one output.

from the back:

S7301247.jpg

again, line drawn where I'll cut off the low-pressure manifold. a few measurements, and it looks like a 3.5" coupler will fit perfectly over that spot.

then I noticed the little chunk of heater hose left over from the new water pump on the '96 imp motor I put in the '86 wagon. I used it to put the IAC valve right off the blower:

S7301249.jpg

ideally, you'd want it on the low-pressure side, but any time the valve is open, the blower will be off, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I've got a Jaycar voltage switch, that will be calibrated to engage the blower at ~75% throttle.

productLarge_7566.jpg

plan is, to get my hands on a dual-port phase I EJ22e.

partial rebuild (rings if necessary. but certainly headgaskets, all seals, timing belt, pumps, etc.).

Leave it at stock N/A compression

Delta Cams, possibly head work

phenolic intake mani spacers

t-leg intake manifold and injectors

possibly parallel fuel rails

keep my existing exhaust (mmmmmmmmmm)

use this AWIC, plumbed between the blower and TB. should keep piping down (click image for more specs):

intercooler_type20_picture.jpg

another voltage switch controlled by an intake air temp sensor to control the water pump for said AWIC

stock pulleys should yield 4-5 psi

I'm also planning on mounting 3 LEDs on the dash. one for the supercharger clutch, one for the AWIC pump, and the third for the radiator fan.

mounting system originally planned to be something like this:

front-view.jpg

but then a different setup just appeared on rs25. so things might get switched around before then.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11665&g2_serialNumber=2

also, there will be paint involved on the new engine. still trying to think of a color scheme.....

• 2 weeks later...
Someone tried this years ago on a legacy, I can't remember who.

They also used the electric clutch activated SC.

But, they used an NA engine destroyed the engine, twice if I remember correctly.

yep, the setup pictured above in the red car is that one you're thinking of. I'm using the exact same blower.

problem is, he's greedy. always upping the boost, and using the nitrous. and he's still running a PP6 for "management"......so yea, he goes through motors.

I will be staying more cautious with my boost levels, and have a fully tunable standalone ECU.

yep, the setup pictured above in the red car is that one you're thinking of. I'm using the exact same blower.

problem is, he's greedy. always upping the boost, and using the nitrous. and he's still running a PP6 for "management"......so yea, he goes through motors.

I will be staying more cautious with my boost levels, and have a fully tunable standalone ECU.

Yeah, i've never understood why he never did anything for engine management. A pp6 is hardly doing something.

You would think after the first couple motors he would have figured that out. Its like he tries to do everything on the cheap... but he HAS to have spent several thousand on the multiple motors.

Reasonable ems sets you back a thousand maybe! Less if you really are looking for dealz.

Why hasn't he tried swapping in a WRX harness so he could run a dirt cheap UTEC? I see those go for about $100 now!

In my opinion the UTEC would be better than the PP6.

• 1 month later...

Dudes, you dogging on me? :lol:

STILL using the 1990 NA ECU with the PP6.....

I was only able to make 400whp with it, 12.8 @ 112 with NO third gear... :rolleyes:.

Greed is what generally kills my motors. Sometimes stupidity, sometimes just plain bad luck. Split a cylinder wall on the last motor, how does one get that done? So waiting on some built heads from Delta before the new motor goes in. This is what it last looked like.

4.jpg

Dudes, you dogging on me? :lol:

hehe, just a little bit.

truth be told. You've done some positively awesome work! but yea, a little greedy. I definitely think you'd gain a little power and a lot of reliability if you swapped to a standalone.

anyway. not much to report on this. the XT6, and upcoming frozen rotors group buy have soaked up much of my funds lately, and the wagon has been accumulating snow.

BUT, Skidd over on RS25 has made progress on his, and given me a massive idea. I was always a bit nervous about running the belt around the radiator hose like reddevil does. but couldn't think of a good way to mount an idler low enough to route the belt under the hose. But he's done it:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11890

bolts to the power steering bracket:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11875

belt routing. that's some very nice wrap on all the pulleys, and no removing a rad hose to swap blower belts!

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11870

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11885

so I think I'm going to keep my blower mounted flat like reddevil (since I don't have to worry about an ABS pump). but route the belt under the hose like Skidd did.

next step in the project, however, is to get some legacy power steering lines. my manhandled EA82 ones will be very much in the way.

• 1 month later...

Picked up a motor and FWD 4EAT from a '90 legacy with about 180k miles on them for $100. appears that the motor was cared for fairly well while it was in the car, but has been stored very poorly. so some brackets bent/broken, and a few things dried/rusty (mostly tbelt pulleys). Started tearing it down the last few days:

got it unloaded, and started taking some things off to ease the trip down into the basement:

DSCF0348.jpg

DSCF0349.jpg

Subaru timing belt.....possibly original :eek:

DSCF0351.jpg

DSCF0352.jpg

got it in the house, and set up on the bench:

DSCF0355.jpg

a table just for the engine:

DSCF0356.jpg

pulled the flex plate, and found this......somebody must have dropped it through the access panel.

DSCF0358.jpg

one of the mounts where the PS bracket bolts to the block is broken. nothing behind it though, so I'm thinking I'll tap threads in there, and run a slightly longer bolt.

DSCF0361.jpg

still got the crosshatching:

DSCF0363.jpg

DSCF0364.jpg

Came with a power steering pump, pulled it apart, and it's in great shape. which is awesome, because mine is.....well.......not

DSCF0369.jpg

How can you tell if the pump is still good? I just picked up a PS setup, but don't know if the pump is any good.

pulled it apart. the one that was in my wagon is totally chewed up because it cavitated and was un-lubricated metal on metal. might go take a couple pictures.

EDIT: picture. parts on the left are from a destroyed one. ones on the right from this immaculate one.

DSCF0372.jpg

Edited by Numbchux

ahh..engine pr0n...:grin:

looking good bud, really wanna see how this turns out

Kaz

no kidding! won't be much to report for awhile though. the girlfriend and I are going to Chicago for spring break in about a month. so I won't be spending any money until after that.

• 4 weeks later...

parts purchasing is still mostly on hold. picking up some new fenders and other cosmetic parts in the Cities this weekend. but next paycheck.....should mostly go to rebuild parts. either that or I'll save up to put towards sending my Heads/cams to Delta :banana:

But, did some work tonight. Basement looked like this when I came up awhile ago:

DSCF0386.jpg

cut the un-needed parts off the supercharger plenums (see the whole parts bolted to the blower above):

DSCF0388.jpg

now looks like this:

DSCF0398.jpg

keeping the little piece to help pull air around the corner (I don't know if it's really necessary....but mercedes thought it should be there......so I'll leave it).

DSCF0399.jpg

DSCF0400.jpg

and this:

DSCF0397.jpg

also cut a piece of sheet aluminum to block off the hole on the high-pressure side:

DSCF0396.jpg

was going to alumiweld it on there.....but couldn't get it hot enough. might have to find a better way to insulate it from the vise.

got the freeze plug out:

DSCF0402.jpg

DSCF0389.jpg

and block heater ready to go in:

DSCF0401.jpg

got the rear access panels off:

DSCF0403.jpg

so, what the heck, pulled the pistons too:

DSCF0387.jpg

1 & 3

DSCF0393.jpg

2 & 4

DSCF0394.jpg

some scoring on the skirt of #2. but not too bad (almost cannot be felt....I bet once I clean it up, you'll hardly be able to see it)

DSCF0392.jpg

topside of #4 cylinder

DSCF0391.jpg

DSCF0390.jpg

some signs of contact/friction. but not any deeper than the crosshatching. so I think some fresh rings/hone will solve that "issue". next I have to buy a 12-point 12mm to split the case. then the parts to reassemble....

i think he didn't have an IC which you really want with any eaton running decent boost. wish i could afford one for my 98 regal gs.

goodluck NC

^doug has had a few different IC setups.

put together a list of all the parts I need yet....the number at the end scared me a bit. probably won't be done as soon as I had hoped. unless I can find a cheaper clutch that will work well.

anyway, a few more pictures...

case split:

DSCF0413.jpg

soaking the halves in the wash tub:

DSCF0416.jpg

a little SeaFoam and a wire-wheel shined up the pistons real nice

DSCF0411.jpg

DSCF0412.jpg

once clean, the scoring on the #2 piston skirt looks better. but still kinda nasty. but doesn't interfere with the ringlands at all....so I don't think it'll be an issue. although does make me happy that I pulled the shortblock apart.

got bored last night. so I put the intake mani and heads together and used some crap from around the basement to do a little mockup to plan out my intake.

DSCF0432.jpg

then I put the cam pulleys on the heads, and used that as a reference for where the blower pulley should be.

left to right.

1. this piece is laying across the tops of the heads, referencing where the bottom of the blower will be.

2. representing the timing belt location

3. representing the alt, PS, and blower belt location

DSCF0441.jpg

DSCF0443.jpg

the Air-Water intercooler I'm planning on using is 13.5" long. I was able to get just over this between the output on the blower and the throttle body. my high-pressure intake track is just going to be 2 90 degree couplers and the IC. pretty sweet!

DSCF0442.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hey why not get some ej22t stock pistons, not like they go for a lot of money. or since youre running EM get some ej25 heads and run the 22e block.

sorry if i missed it but what are you using for the AWIC pump and radiator? i think i saw some people use a air conditioning condenser. very big and stock fitment.

cool build.

Edited by 970subaru

hey why not get some ej22t stock pistons, not like they go for a lot of money. or since youre running EM get some ej25 heads and run the 22e block.

sorry if i missed it but what are you using for the AWIC pump and radiator? i think i saw some people use a air conditioning condenser. very big and stock fitment.

cool build.

only difference between 22e and 22t pistons is the shape (compression....), and I want 9.5:1. since I'll only be boosting ~6psi, and I'd like to be able to cruise on the freeway with the blower off....7.7:1 would not do so well. with a standalone, I'll easily be able to tune for the high compression.

full planned build list, including details (link) about the AWIC I plan to use in post #1 of this thread.