Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rattle Can Paint Job

A couple summers ago I bought a cheap spray gun ($20, harbor fright) a quart of rustoleum hammer tone green ($10) and a can of acetone ($4).

I read the autobody forums for an hour or so,headed out into the garage and just went for it. Yeah,it isn't winning any ribbons,but I couldn't have been happier with the results. I actually just painted outside when the wind wasn't blowing. Away from the other cars. No paint booth or anything.

ford1.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm looking to fix some rust on the Beater with a Heater and give her the old satin black look. I'll be doing it indoors as it's freeking cold outside (winter in Alaska...) and my garage is heated. I'll probably have to buy some cheap drop cloths or something for the floor and tool benches, but I was looking for a ballpark number of cans. 10 is a decent number. A cheap air gun might do well too, like markjw, it would be a good excuse to get that air compressor I've been flirting with... xmas is just around the corner...!

I wish I had pics of mine. Long story short, it worked, for the short term. From what my friend who is taking care of it says, yeah, it sucks now. But I used cheap flat black paint. Hopefully when I get back, it is getting the gloss black treatment complete with clear coat.

Caleb, you need to post some pics of your paint job. It looks swell!!!! :banana: LOL

Patrick

I had spraypainted at least 5-6 trucks and countless other small body repairs, until I finally manned up and bought a gun and line dryer to go with my compressor. There is no comparison between end results.

Rustolem, Krylon etc does not last, but simple fun and cheap. For a rusted ugly $200 bomber. It makes for a fun project.

100_1130.jpg

My 83 GL wagon took about 8 cans of the $0.99 rustolium. (by the case at HD)

I still have 3 cases of flat black around here. I bought a ton as I had seen an Impreza that they used 22 cans and I planned on needing more.

The Fiancee's Nova is next. :grin:

(Got the shop all cleaned out for it)

Advice: Don't paint it on a hot day out in the sun.

The paint was boiling as it was drying on my roof and though the rest of the car has smoothed out it still looks like 80 grit up there.

I knew better but picked a 100 degree day in the front yard anyway. :rolleyes: Ah well, it's a wheeler.

That's a nice looking old Ford. What year? I'm going to guess '71.

I've done cars with a sprayer, and with rattle cans. Can't beat the quickness and cost of the rattle cans -- about $50 for the whole thing, using about 10 cans of the good industrial stuff IIRC. But, using real car paint and a sprayer (two part urethane) sure made a nicer finish that holds up under the sun and such better. If it's a nice car, buy car paint and spray it. If it's an old beater... spray paint it.

Z

A couple summers ago I bought a cheap spray gun ($20, harbor fright) a quart of rustoleum hammer tone green ($10) and a can of acetone ($4).

I read the autobody forums for an hour or so,headed out into the garage and just went for it. Yeah,it isn't winning any ribbons,but I couldn't have been happier with the results. I actually just painted outside when the wind wasn't blowing. Away from the other cars. No paint booth or anything.

ford1.jpg

Originally Posted by opus

Even better: http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html

Thats awesome. Id like to give that a try, there's a buch of 4x4 nuts that are using fire extinguisher paint and rollin' it with good results. its supposed to be cheap and super durable.

With the right ammount of wet sanding and polishing you could make stucco shine like that corvair.

Edited by ihscout54
forgot to "quote"

That's a nice looking old Ford. What year? I'm going to guess '71.

I don't want to get too much into it,subaru forum and all,but its a '71 frame,

'67 cab and a '68 grill. I started with a bare frame and aquired parts from there.Thanks for the compliment..

The paint looked really good when I first painted it. I never did anything to protect it from UV rays. On the paint forums I was visiting,they had ideas of what I could spray on as a clear that would have UV protection and be compatible with the Rustoleum. I just never got around to it.

Ive rattle canned a couple rigs,my problem was it was always blotchy. The spray gun laid it down so much more evenly.Now with my $20 investment into a cheap gun,I can paint anything for about $12.

Well... I Have done Many Paint Jobs, (my recent one is my Weberized Sub into Yellow, like my Other Wagon) but I Use an Air Compressor Gun...

is Amazing wht you can do with Rattle Spray cans! :eek: I Have Painted two Cars (One was my First Paint Job: a 1972 Datsun 1600 Pick Up) with Synthetic Paint (Synthetic is the Paint that comes -Ussually- on that Rattle Cans, Quarters, and Gallons) and that Paint gives Great Results, the only Problem with that, is that Synthetic Paints trend to loose -fade- the Shine... in around one Year... Well it Depends on Weather, sun, etc...

Nice Cars! ... I Like the Ford, the Brats and the Flat Black Impreza, I Believe that Flat Black is a Good Choice; All Looks with Very Well Done Paint Jobs! :)

i posted a long time ago here and on the XT forum pictures of a guy i knows mazda - the 64 dollar paint job i believe was the title of the thread. you can search here or the XT forum. it's quite an amazing 64 dollar paint job. i tried to talk him out of it "waste of time"...etc, he was still happy with it a few years later. granted, not a spray job but you'll be amazed at the picks.