Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought a '84 Subaru GL - Pics Inside =)

I'm mainly over on nasioc so this is my first real post. I've been a subaru fanatic for a few years now. I recently bought a 96 impreza after selling my '05 WRX since I'm a struggling almost finished college student:banana: Today I picked up an '84 Subaru GL Wagon. I love blue so I couldn't pass it up.

Only has 156k miles although its a Front Wheel drive, Auto trans. I'm going to make another thread about an AWD conversion along with possibly 4/5 spd manual and bigger engine swap. Feel free to drop any insight in here if you please. Car is in good condition for the age. Its got no balls whatsoever, and besides missing the spare tire in the front (WTB if you have one) and no radio, along with a crack in the window its nice. I already cleaned it up a bit since it was sitting at the guys house getting mold on the paint. Onto the PICS: :lol:

P1000384.jpg

P1000385.jpg

P1000383.jpg

P1000386.jpg

P1000382.jpg

P1000387.jpg

P1000388.jpg

Niceness.

And count yourself among the lucky ones living without timing belts! :banana:

I have an 85' brat that has the same engine, but the 4 speed d/r :banana:

It has ballz.

Gutless wonder all EA81's are but if you need to muscle through something...

OH, and something I should mention, expect your EGR to crap out on you soon.

They all do eventually, usually somewhere around the 200k-250k mark.

Good luck with the wagon!

(And should I say SWEET looking imp sitting behind it)

Twitch

Edited by Twitch de la Brat
no hood scoop!

Besides the dents in the tailgate and the missing radio your wagon looks awesome! I can give you some ideas on the radio area, but I still have yet to pull the dents from my tailgate, so maybe you could advise me there, if you decide to pull them.

As a fellow nearly finished college student, I must say that if my EA81s weren't so durable, I would have been carless long ago. The amount of abuse and lack of maintenance I've poured over my cars is disgusting, but they keep chugging along!

Good luck with that wagon, I look forward to reading about your future mods!

Thanks guys for the nice comments. LOL The nasioc boards are a little more harsh, they would all just laugh at this beauty.

RUST AND CARB

Yep not really any rust, which is amazing since I hear a lot about that. I honestly am not too mechanically inclined...I just love subaru's so I don't know about the carb. The carb is a light blue color and it does have a receipt in the glovebox for being rebuilt a few years back. Everything seems to be running decent.

BUMPERS AND GRILL

Well I already had a carfax going so I ran it...it is definitly an 84 GL so maybe they replaced the bumpers? It was an older man who had it, and he had a few subaru's on his old lot.

TIMING BELT?

So there is no timing belt on these? Remember I can change oil and thats about it.

RADIO IDEAS

Yes Please! I would like to have at least a cheap radio. Would the stock radio out of my 96 impreza fit? Cause I bought a CD player for that one. I don't have tons of money to spend so gotta keep it cheap. I wouldn't even know where to start with the dents.

QUESTION?

I found this 1993 Loyale 1.8L fuel injected engine with only 125k miles. Could that go in my car?:rolleyes:

Thanks guys for the nice comments. LOL The nasioc boards are a little more harsh, they would all just laugh at this beauty.

QUESTION?

I found this 1993 Loyale 1.8L fuel injected engine with only 125k miles. Could that go in my car?:rolleyes:

yeah.. whatever, on Nasoic... I like this body style quite a bit, and have owned about 4 of them (two right now). Rust free is nice (I have one rust free one, and have owned a few rustbuckets...)

The Loyale engine is the EA82 engine -- overhead cams instead of just overhead valves, so it has timing belts. A more powerful engine, but I believe it requires some hammering of the frame rails to fit in that car that had the narrower EA81 engine. everything else kind of just bolts up, depending on whether you wanted to swap over the fuel injection too -- then you have to transfer the wiring harness and computer and all. You could also just swap over the fuel injection and keep the same block as now. There's instructions for that on here somewhere.

I wonder why it's so gutless? My 2wd 1982 wagon is pretty peppy -- much more so than the 4wd ones (lighter? different gear ratios?). The 3AT auto tranny probably has alot ot do with that... from what I hear, they really suck (I've never owned one).

The 3AT auto tranny probably has alot ot do with that... from what I hear, they really suck (I've never owned one).

Yeah,they really suck in the power dept. I've recently been driving around a

'84 sedan with a 3AT. Although the car is kinda gutless anyway,and the tranny is performing as it should,I can tell the Auto Tranny is robbing much needed HP away from the wheels. One thing I've noticed,I drive this car much easier because of the auto tranny. With a 4 or 5 speed, seems I rip around wherever I go.

wow, that's in nice shape for having been moldy!

QUESTION?

not a great idea to swap the newer engine, as they were more problematic even though they had a few more horsepower...

however, you could swap the fuel injection system over... but since it sounds like your carb is in good shape you don't really need to do that...

Not bad at all, but dude- PJs?

lol. Well I took it for a spin at 12am and thats what I was wearing:banana:

I got it tabbed yesterday until next year. No emissions and it will be a classic car in 4 1/2 years woot woot!!!

Really Nice Wagon, I Like how it Look in Blue Colour. :)

The Impreza Radio can be installed there, you just need to do some Wiring. I Suggest to Run new Wires for each Speaker, `cos Older subies doesn`t have independent Ground wire for each one and some Newer Stereo units doesn`t work well with that Common Grounding.

The only thing I`ll Change from that subie is the 3EAT Automatic trans for a 5 Speed Manual, leaving it FWD and that would give to your Subie a Li`l bit more Powerful feeling and use less Gasoline...

...And count yourself among the lucky ones living without timing belts! :banana:...

Well... I have to Agree...