Ultimate Subaru Message Board

junkyard prices for D/R 5 speed ...

thought I'd post this out there....

my favorite u-pull type yard, used to sell a trans for $275.

then they moved and went to the western US style yard, where they put everthing up so you can get to all the parts... and crushed regularly, but dropped their prices...

I got a D/R 5 speed today, and here's the breakdown from the receipt....

trans $120

core $25

Env. fee $4.80

shifter assembly $14.99

env fee $0.60

core $1.00

tax (6%) $9.98

for a total of $176.36

and it took me about 2 hours....

I don't mind paying that around here, because there's only been 2 show up in this yard in the last couple of years.... and I think the other got crushed....

sometime you can get lucky, like my frined, who happened to find one at a different yard, that had been sitting on a shelf for years, and got it for $50....

so what are you paying for a D/R 5 speed....?

The largest chain of junkyards here, "Pick-n-Pull", runs a 50% off everything sale one weekend a month.

Jibs & I have been known to take home complete 3.7 LSD's for as little as $35 after tax. However, i have never had to come home with a Transmission.

I've also heard of some junkyards who run specials like "fill a bucket full of parts for $5"

Transmissions in my u-pull-it yards are $79.99 plus core.

On virtually EVERY holiday weekend they run 50% off sales. And there's always a dozen 5 speed D/R cars to choose from among the 5 yards that are part of the "LKQ" chain that runs these deals. After all said and done, it's easily under $100 even with the core and the environmental fee, etc.

Reminds me that I need to pick up a couple for my shed :rolleyes:

GD

UPullRParts does a UPull-a-thon every spring. everything you can carry 20 ft for $40. we've gotten a bunch of stuff there...but never a trans.

the yard up here in Duluth that still inventories all their individual parts, and charges depending what it is, wants $150 for a D/R 5MT. and has about 8 at any given time. they've even got 2 tlegs, 3 svxs, many newer outbacks and such, and even an '05 FXT

the only yard in my area wanted $450 for a d/r 5, no warranty no nothin'

I bought an entire car with a d/r for $400 and stripped it bare of every conceivable piece I could use, right down to the plastic screws in the door threshold

On half off wednesdays I paid $135 for mine. The normal price for a trans is $90, then a $30 core. However I got charged for a transfer case, and the core for that. Wasn't particularly happy about it because I drove up to this junk yard specifically for half off wednesdays, and ended up paying the same price the junkyard thats 5 blocks away... I was arguing with the checkout guy for awhile asking him to show me where the transfer case he was charging me for was it and he just kept saying that because it was 4wd he had to charge me for a t-case also.

A most discouraging scenario is the fact that I work for a salvage yard, and we inventory our parts individually, we recently crushed out about 500 cars, these things were coming from everywhere, we crushed 5 mid to late 80's SW with D/R in them. I asked if I could get at least one before they were crushed. Came in the next day- all gone to the big sub in da sky. Very disappointed. Highest mileage one was 165k.:mad:

UPullRParts does a UPull-a-thon every spring. everything you can carry 20 ft for $40.

Man, what a suckers bet. I could carry alot of stuff 20ft. Especially if I got it all for $40. Sounds kinda like a buffet; you gotta make those suckers sorry they ever came up with the idea!!! :lol:

I see quite a few available in the washington state area, I'm not linked to pull n save places but it sounds like they have some great deals. Most of what I see varies alot in prices depending on mileages, theres a place in california with one that has 59k on it for 400 bucks, we've got one in a different yard that we own for 250k but unknown mileage for 250 I'm sure i could get it cheaper. Back when I first got this subaru and after a few trips into the hills I decided I had to switch from the push button 4x4 to the dual rang...O LORD what a difference it makes having lower gear options

$50.50 plus tax and a $9.50 core charge at PAP. Bought a few trannys there over the years for various vehicles. All worked fine. One blew up from running 13 lbs of boost too much. And that one was the replacement for the other one that blew up. Gonna get another $50.50 tranny and see how long that lasts.:grin: