Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Gotta Hear That! ...

I'll Like to Hear that Boxer like That, but let me Ask you Something: Old Mechanics in my Country keeps Telling that a Straight exhaust Pipe makes near to Zero Resistance to the Exhaust Valves and could damage 'em... Maybe is Something to Consider.

Kind Regards.

Well my cat was getting clogged and the lid off of the first muffler rusted and opened up right below the center console, which was loud as hell. So I just took the 2" pipe and fixed both problems seeing as I don't want to spend the money on a new muffler. I am however going to stick a cherry bomb on it but I just haven't had the time.

I replaced the O2 sensors on my 98 Legacy Outback which upped the mpg a bit and no more CEL.

Also, I took the 87 GL four wheeling and went hiking. At least put the lift to good use. It has a little hole right before the muffler and makes a great raspy sound when you step on it. I think I'll keep it that way.

Edited by kanurys

FINALLY procured the rest of the parts I need to put my GL back together. It's been broken since the first weekend in April, I'm really missing that car!!

Tomorrow I'll bust rump roast and get it back together, and make it inspectable...

Making a car safe, and making a car inspectable are two totally different endeavors. It's gonna be nice and safe, but it needs things like plate light, horn, no more hole in trunk, fix leaky exhaust... who knows.:rolleyes:

87 GL wagon:

-got it muddy again

-hooked up fuel return line and vent line - no more gas smell in cabin

-developed another coolant leak at the thermostat, where I used a paper gasket instead of OEM on the rebuild :(

98 Legacy Outback:

-fixed sinking rear view mirror by removing the broken plastic shim and replacing it with rubber from a bike inner-tube.

-still waiting for pedders HD springs :slobber:

2004 Impreza Outback Sport:

-Dayco timing kit (pulleys, tensioner, belt)

-acc belts

-a/c belt idler

-OEM water pump/thermostat/radiator flushed

-OEM radiator hoses/bypass hose

-resealed oil pump/o-ring

-OEM cam and crank seals

-OEM pcv valve

-OEM oil filter, 5w30 full synth Valvoline

-OEM oil pressure relief spring

-adjusted valves - it runs so smooth and has noticeably more power now

Changed the oil in my GL. That ea81 is the smoothest running suby engine I've ever seen. Just purrs.

Then I took it out and got it all muddy, only to drive through a flooded road to wash the mud off... Get my disty wet and stall it :rolleyes: A little WD40 later and it was good to go :grin:

It's so nice having GL back on the road. Missed my old POS osoo much :banana:

Yesterday, I did my first timing belt job on an EA82. It involved a fairly large amount of swearing and a couple broken tools, but my 85 Wagon lives again!

Next weekend I have to replace both front axles and likely the bearings in the hubs.

i decided to service my ea 82 carbed breakerless distributor after hearing some noise coming from it. i greased the bearing and centrifugal weigts and springs and reassembled it and finally adjusted the air gap, to get maximum spark it was a very taxing job since the car refused to start i later came to learn that it was the distributor for ea82T engine.had redo timing and move the distributor gear one gear tooth ahead on the cam shaft, the car finally started and now is working well and engine has more power after advancing the distributor halfway.

Edited by Turbone

Replaced the front strut mounts & coil springs on my 87 GL 4WD d/r wagon. The rubber was separating inside the mount causing wheel hop on right side.

Found the strut mounts at Kragen A/P(MasterPro brand#FM1096). Good quality item.

My front springs were sagging some so I found that 89-92 Nissan Sentra fronts ($15 each at the local pick it yourself)are the same wire diameter, coil OD & 1 3/4 turns more at 14.75-15.00" length.

Took some effort to compress them using an ATD universal coil spring tool, but they do just fit. Lots of 'verbal coaxing' on the first one.:lol:

Lifted the front end about 7/8" too.:banana:

Edit: donor Nissan Sentras to look for are 4 cyl with the smaller OD front coils.

Because these are the same OD to fit the strut well just maybe they would be fine for switching to legacy knuckles on a EA car?

The spacing for the strut mount bolts on the knuckles looks to be the same as for legacy awd cars.

Just a suggestion.

Edited by czny
Passing thought

Replaced the front strut mounts & coil springs on my 87 GL 4WD d/r wagon. The rubber was separating inside the mount causing wheel hop on right side.

Found the strut mounts at Kragen A/P(MasterPro brand#FM1096). Good quality item.

My front springs were sagging some so I found that 89-92 Nissan Sentra fronts ($15 each at the local pick it yourself)are the same wire diameter, coil OD & 1 3/4 turns more at 14.75-15.00" length.

Took some effort to compress them using an ATD universal coil spring tool, but they do just fit. Lots of 'verbal coaxing' on the first one.:lol:

Awesome! Good do know!

for my BRAT: Painted the beds metal strip that would hold carpet down if you have carpet. I painted it white to match the wagon wheels and the front brushquard.

Also, took out the driver side lower 4wd dummy plate, and replaced it with the step plate from the right side of my former parts BRAT. So now, both side have the step plate for getting into the jumpseats. No modification steps were needed for this, plug and play.

Also removed the BRAT cap earlier, summer time yay.

Reinstalled the jumpseat i removed way back for hauling stuff.

DSCF0017.jpg?t=1306022134

DSCF0010.jpg?t=1306022229

Edited by bheinen74
pics added

Edit: donor Nissan Sentras to look for are 4 cyl with the smaller OD front coils.

Because these are the same OD to fit the strut well just maybe they would be fine for switching to legacy knuckles on a EA car?

The spacing for the strut mount bolts on the knuckles looks to be the same as for legacy awd cars.

Just a suggestion.

Excellent info. I will use this in the future along with the 90's Toyota 4runner fronts for the rear of the GL. Thanks.

I took a half hour drive, after work, up to 9000 feet and watched the sunset. The road is rough gravel. Now my GL is muddy (AGAIN). This was really a test for my new fuse block for the radiator fans. The EA82 burns oil after long descents when you step on it. Does anybody else have this problem? The valve seals are new so it's probably the rings, even though compression is good. Oh well. EJ here we come. Man, I love where I live.

IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

Had my can installed

IMG_20110521_154231.jpg

hawt! :eek:

May look hot, but how does it sound?

Heres what Spencer - OBK25XT installed on my GL.

HiddenNoise.jpg

and heres how it sounds, not to its full capability yet, cant do that in the neighborhood lol, but its loud, and ignore my stupid voice, I shoulda just stayed quiet haha. Skip to :20 to ignore it haha

Went over Montezuma's Pass this afternoon

5748673307_2a9fe8a2e3_z_d.jpg

Just about got run over by the Border Patrol and the crazy Jeeps, and the roads to and from the pass were quite rough needing 4WD to keep things stable, but a nice drive overall.

May look hot, but how does it sound?

Like a million bucks. I will try to get a vid tomorrow. its really hot. kinda gurgly on decel and no resonance (quack sound) like you would expect from a glass pack. :eek:

also, I went to awesome's ALL you can carry for $35 sale. my back hurts but I got a rear disk swap, washer resivior, center console, shifter trim, etc and made a shift boot from a pair of old work pants :lol:

IMG_20110522_165214.jpg

1986 BRAT

5sp D/R swap

Rear disc conversion

Custom drive line (one piece)

Weberized

Removed all the emission/vacuum line BS after Weber install

Detailed engine bay

Put on seat covers

Put on steering wheel cover

Sand blasted, primed, and painted stock white my spoke rims

Steel wooled the center caps

Added the chrome w/black trim gas lid

fixed exhaust leak

added blind side mirrors

Next I need to wash, wax and finish detailing....man its gonna be close but I think it will be all done for the BRAT meet

Been working on this thing for a week straight...when I am done I think I'll take a break from her a bit.