Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

To add this Jboy's post, Pictures to go along with it.

Alliance028.jpg

Alliance030.jpg

Alliance032.jpg

Finally, some good pictures of a parking break setup on a rear disk break car. I've been searching for this stuff and not had much luck. Thanks!

I need to replace parking brake shoes on my car. I'll do a writeup with pics when I do. I've done a few at work and they're really easy. Just need to keep track of all the springs and crap.

Just like Drum brakes on an old Subaru.

And how do you wear this down anyhow? To me it would seem impossible unless your using it for braking when your MS starts leaking!

And how do you wear this down anyhow? To me it would seem impossible unless your using it for braking when your MS starts leaking!

When I got the car they didn't work at all. Took it all apart and found the shoes almost worn to nothing. I guess the idiot PO drove with the parking brake on...

He left a bolt out of one of the rear calipers, installed a brake pad backwards.... etc.

Yeah, someone's been doing e-brake turns...

Mine glazed when I had to emergency tow my vehicle about a mile with a tow strap when my timing seals failed a few years ago. It grabs, but not reliably on a steep hill. Now its time for a rear break job and I'll be in there anyways so I might as well replace the shoes. Those little suckers are relatively expensive! Do you guys re-use the hardware or get new springs, clips, etc...?

Yeah, someone's been doing e-brake turns...

Mine glazed when I had to emergency tow my vehicle about a mile with a tow strap when my timing seals failed a few years ago. It grabs, but not reliably on a steep hill. Now its time for a rear break job and I'll be in there anyways so I might as well replace the shoes. Those little suckers are relatively expensive! Do you guys re-use the hardware or get new springs, clips, etc...?

General rule doing any drum brake. Get all the hardware.

The bottom spring in particular gets really badly rusty.

Yeah I would get new hardware too, the springs will most likely last, its the holddown pins which rust out, if those go, can I say "Lock-Up"

Check out Rockauto, its $15 for the hardware Kit and I forgot how much for all 4 shoes.

I've had a few bottom springs be so rusty they broke coming off. The hat things all rust to dead, and their springs don't do well. The tensioner also tend to seize up... Most hardware kits don't give you those though. Make suer to use caliper grease on all the shoe contact points with the backing plate, pivot at the top. Also make sure you put anti-sieze on the tensioner threads and parts to keep it working.

When you get the new shoes on, test fit the rotor before putting it all the way on, you will want just a little bit a friction, adjust the star wheel as needed to give you right amount.

Same rule would apply on a rear drum vehicle.

Before you put it back together clean it all up with brake clean. You don't want crap in there.

Then put the rotor ALL THE WAY ON. that's important. If it's not all the way on it won't adjust right. Best bet is just to put the wheel on.

Then make sure the parking brake isn't applied, and loosen the parking brake cable all the way (from inside the car) so it's slack. Not pulling the shoes at all. This is important step.

The tighten the adjuster till it locks up the wheel, and back it off a few turns till it's barely not dragging. Then adjust the parking brake cable till it's snug, but not applying the brakes at all.

Pretty much all just drum brake common sense stuff.

I can't comment on how similar it is to subaru drum brakes... Never dealt with EJ drum brakes. And my only experience with EA drum brakes is beating the crap out of mine, then replacing it with discs.

Pulled the tranny out of my grls car the front main seal in tranny aka torque converter seal. Looked all over for the thick one that came out of it cuz the new seal I install a little over a month ago when I install the new motor popped out. So I couldnt find one. So I got a new timkin seal put that in and then put in the old seal which had nothing wrong with it. So hopefully it will help hold the timkin one in. I should have just lock tighted it or glued it in. LOL

Well now SUBI GIRLs subi is back on the road again.

We took our GL camping. :banana:

And we took the, um, BIGGER tent :lol:

campRU.jpg

See the thing about me and camping anymore is, im not trusting my life to a piece of cloth, ill just sleep in my car whenever i go camping. Any s*** goes down say a bear or sasquatch im not letting that be up to a tent. A car keeps the bugs out more also. Just sayin.

Heyyo... that's pretty! Where do you go camping? I might have to impose on your spot if I promise not to go when you're there! :grin:

We went to a wedding in the gorge near Portland. We made it into a camping weekend.

That photo is from Beacon Rock state campground. Pretty nice place. And being pretty early in the season, it was VERY quiet.

See the thing about me and camping anymore is, im not trusting my life to a piece of cloth, ill just sleep in my car whenever i go camping. Any s*** goes down say a bear or sasquatch im not letting that be up to a tent. A car keeps the bugs out more also. Just sayin.

Even a big guy like me (6'5" and 235 pounds) can sleep comfortably in the back of a Subaru, I'm with you 100% Ben!

We went to a wedding in the gorge near Portland. We made it into a camping weekend.

That photo is from Beacon Rock state campground. Pretty nice place. And being pretty early in the season, it was VERY quiet.

OH really! Sweet! I haven't spent a whole lot of time on the WA side of the gorge... I was thinking... "...looks like multnomah area. Nah... He's from Idaho!" haha - This is what I get for trying to be logical. :rolleyes:

You guys really need to get out. :) The development of this brat has been covered in detail. Search on that. It goes without saying that we all love the work that has been done.

Oh yeah, I washed the mud off of the GL and fixed the sinking mirror on my outback.

Edited by kanurys