Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Come to think of it maybe I should of left you that pole lol

i would've used it on the car!:rolleyes:

there was a nice guy that happen to have a 3 foot hydrolic jack handle that we used.. should've just put that stupid notch in there when you were there.. but alas! you live and learn.

to add insult to injury... my HDD on my carputer died so i replaced that too while down there.. and when i got home.. my 500 Gig movie HDD (that was full of movies btw) is toast!

-Justin

A little red loctite goes a long ways. Here's what happened to me only 330 miles from home:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/16144-re-timing-crank-pulley-cam-seal.html

Well, made it home. Yea.. Remember when that key-way broke and i said "well, lets tighten the crap out of the bolt and i'll replace the cog when i get home... yea... it got lose about 4 hours outside of Jacksonville. I was driving down the highway (obviously..:rolleyes:) and my dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Now first, i thought i broke my alternator belt.. nope. the crank pulley came lose and was free spinning which, after chanting the "lefty losey righty tighty" you will realize that, well DUH! of coarse it came lose. but we tightened the crap out of it!!?!?!?

so.. luckily, the new pulley was still there.. AND the bolt thank god! (even though i had an extra).

anyway, here's the fun part. so i figured well crap! if its going to do that if i just wrench it down.. I'm going to try and put that key-way back in.

thumb it around..

thumb it around..

drop it into the timing cover.. lands, of coarse, right on the timing belt. so, great! take the cover off. only to find *drum roll please* my timing belt is shot to crap! its been slowly ripping itself apart and now i have fiberglass/rubber/whatever dust all over inside the cover. AND my timing belt is just about had it.

take out the key-way that fell in. put it back together *crossing fingers that the timing can just get me home* PLUG up the opening where the key-way fell into last time. thumb it in there tight, line up the crank pulley get it to sit and CRANKED THAT SUCKER DOWN!! no more free spin!:grin:

so yea, that was the chronicles of my trip home. nothing like taking apart the front part of your car on the side of the road:mad:.

And the wife wondered why i brought tools "Oh, you'll never need them the car is fine!" naturally i would've agreed, and I always have my tools on me but this time, I'm really glad.

On a side note, I really noticed it burning oil this trip.. I've fed it probably 3 or 4 qts there and the same back. also, when the cruse would down-shift to go up a hill you really saw it puff out the rear. I'm going to compression test it here soon and retire the old lego for a bit.

-Justin

Took the Legacy out camping Saturday. Played in the mud today.

What I did a few weeks ago:

Clutch/Pressure Plate

Throwout/Carrier Bearing

Front/Rear main seals

Cam Seals

A few other misc. seals

All 4 timing belt rollers

Timing Belt tensioner

Timing Belt

Water pump

Thermostat

New upper/lower rad. hoses

New Radiator

Both front Drive Axels

Fixed crack in exhaust manifold

(a few other little things here and there too)

Nice! You running all the power through the switches or are you using relays?

I have 10guage wire running from the battery, to the switches, from the switches, I have both the uppers and lowers hooked up to their own sides of the switches. btw the switches are DPDT so left and right have their own wire also. I wanted to use relays but not enough cash. the lights are only 35w each hi or lo. they only pull about 3a each, and they are ran through 10a per pole switches. i did my research before I cheaped out:grin:

I helped someone off the road by giving them a jump a couple times.

... Only to find that my Oil cap was NOT ON!!! Luckily, it was still sitting on the little plastic engine cover (ya know, the EJ22 plastic 16valve thingie) I dont know how it was still on there but it was..

yea.. spitting oil all over my engine was not a fun thing to find.

-Justin