Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Finding coil springs for a Loyale 4wd wagon has been a challenge. I have repeatedly gone back to the "BumbleBeast" thread, but I'm not looking for 2" lift. I wanted a firmer ride for sportier handling and a slight ride height increase for looks ... I purchased a set of NAPA coils springs for a 2004 Camry. ....

So, the Toyota Camry coil springs you obtained, are for the Front, isn't it?

Could you post Photos of them, side by side with the Subaru ones?

Also, I'll love to know the Results. Thank you for sharing the info,

I bet it will be Useful for more members.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

Just cleaned the Weber air filter, used the K&N cleaning kit. Made a big difference in how it drives too. Also recently got a tank of straight non-ethanol gas and the valves are MUCH quieter. Found a place to put my tank vent line too, I did have it plugged and the fuel system was building up extreme pressure. It would get so bad that the pressure was causing it to run rich which would cause it to run warmer than usual, and I'd have to pull over and relieve pressure by cracking the gas cap. That usually resulted in being soaked with gasoline, so I'm really glad that problem is solved.

06 WRX steering was vibrating (but no squealing). Foam in the reservoir - just like my 03 OBW. So, pulled the fitting off the top of the PS pump and swapped out the o-ring. The closest one I had may not last long, had to stretch it a bit and I am concerned it isn't 'fat' enough now. But I ordered a larger assortment set from ebay so, i should have those on hand if it fails again.

Probably do maintenance type stuff in april on both cars. WRX is needing a timing belt according to the Months side of the schedule. i think I'll put that off till october.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I would like to know this as well.

I'll have to take pics, it's kind of hard to explain. I do know that there's a total of three lines coming off of the fuel filter and one goes to the carb, one comes from the firewall and the other goes back into the firewall. And between the two that are going/coming into/from the firewall T into eachother. Freakin weird.

• Like 1

... I do know that there's a total of three lines coming off ...

Yes:

The 5/16" Main line is the "Fuel Delivery" to the Carburator.

The 1/4" Secondary Line is the "Fuel Return" to the Gas Tank.

The 3/16" Third line is the Gas Tank's "Vent Line"

I only hooked the main to the carb, closed the return and left the vent line open, but I attached one of those mini air filters to it, in order to prevent debris to get into it; those two unused lines hangs next to the Brake's Booster, hiding there and the Subie has been working Flawlessly like that for many years so far...

Hooking a "T" between the Return and the Vent Lines, will cycle the pressure buildup on the Pipes / Hoses and in my own humble opinion, could be Dangerous during hot weather days, and high pressure buildup on the system.

But please, post the Photos... maybe I'm wrong and misunderstood the setup.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

Put a weber on my 84 GL Wagon last weekend.  Removed a pile of unused vacuum system throughout the process.  Sorry huge image...

xbgw7p.jpg

Used the air filter from the air valve for the tank vents for now.  It had fallen apart to reveal the paper filter.  It's attached to the two vent lines at the moment.  In the future I'll replace it with a proper air filter.  Today I found a muffler at the picknpull for $13 and swapped my rusted open tin can of a muffler out.  Funny how much it muffled the awesome sound the weber can bring out of these engines...  oh well

output_gqhGwN.gif

Next I have to fix my hood hinge which has apparently been gathering water and somehow the bolts rusted out, popping the bracket out completely.

• Like 1

While re-doing some wiring in the center console and tidying things up, managed to nick a vacuum line when clipping off excess zip-tie  :angry:

*psssssssssssssssssssssssss.................*

Wrapped the cut with aluminum flashing tape and it seems to have sealed it, we'll see in the long run. If it doesn't, I'm not looking forward to pulling the cluster 

to run heat-shrink tubing down that line.

Fresh Paint! :)

DSC03086.jpg

Got a cheapie rack for the spare -Oh ya -getting about 28 mpg!

Your pic through me off, your car looks just like mine with the new wheel/tire setup I have and almost the same color, definitely did a double take! Looks sharp!

Ughhhh I've gotta do that. My header is cracked and leaks. I'm probably gonna have to cut a section out and weld in some new pipe.

I have 2 Loyale y pipes, which is what is on your GL. I have nothing to use them on so let me know if you are interested in one.

Oh yea! I forgot you had those. I'm gonna do a bit of a refit on the car this summer. I need to do suspension, bushings, fix a bunch of oil leaks, etc. So I'll probably take you up on that offer.

For now, since the outback works again the GL is taking a break until summer vacation starts. I forgot how nice it is to drive a newer car lol.

• Like 2

Signed up for a body/paint course through my sons schools district so that I can work on the Brat in a more suitable environment than my garage, starts in a week, cost 200 bucks and should be able to get the Brat looking pretty sharp.

Oh yeah, also traded in my beloved but tired 01 Outback VDC for a 13 Honda Fit Sport with 8 miles on in it. I know I am a trader, but the Outback was nickel and diming me and now I can spend more time getting the old Brat in tip top shape.  Also will give me an excuse to take the Brat out next winter when the Fit wont be able to handle the snow.  Got the Fit for 17k and while I still like the new Subaru's, I couldnt find a manual because I really couldn't deal with the CVT, so I went with a good little commuter that will be easy with my time and wallet.

Just wondering what size tire size you went with? And,is your wagon lifted?

After somebody liked my post from sept 10th 2009, it brought to my attention this question. Can't remember the size but it may have been an inch and a half larger than stock. Not lifted but woulda been nice. That car has since been crushed which was a very dumb decision, but I was sick and tired of having an old car and at the time I had a '96 Outback which has since been destroyed in a rollover. Now I'm stuck in a love/hate relationship with an '84 hardtop...

Edit: Completely forgot to actually update what I have done recently. I let my friend drive it and he shoved it into first gear while 2nd was already wound out, and then after that it didn't run right and about five minutes later would hardly run at all. I think the high revs may have caused the adapter plate gaskets to fail which I had used blue permatex on. Taking it apart I can see that the blue stuff doesn't hold on too well. Tried replacing the gaskets with paper cutouts and not using sealant, and I quickly realized after starting it that I needed to use some sealant. I just coated them with permatex 2 and am letting them dry.

Edited by Subaru_dude