Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Drove subie down the road and the spindle nut, cotter pin, and washers came off ... but the tire stayed on:banana::banana::banana: Kind of weriod the car started swerving all over the road... so pulled over. Not a thing I want to repeat luckly it was 6:00 am on Saturday and there was no traffic as the car pulled me into the other lane before I could get it pulled over and slowed down. Would not have been cool to have a head on at 50 mph..

So spent the morning finding parts and fixing it and TIGHTENED THE OTHER SPINDLE nuts... For some reason 2 out of 3 were really loose. (SCARY:eek::eek:) (only owned the car a month.) ALso put in new wheel bearings..

You want me to bring it along tomorrow? could check the timing quick in the parking lot. all you need is a 10mm socket and about 14 feet of socket extensions:lol: to adjust the dist

whats the dealio on this midwest subaru meet? im pretty sure i wouldnt be able to go.. lol but ya never know!

Scott, Lol! I really need a timing gun, want to check my disty timing.

Rob, Aaa! Putting the Brat to work as it was intended for I see :)

I havn't done anything for a while, but I am going to a Soob meet this sunday! So that counts for something eh? :)

-Tom

Ben, think about this first....

I can't drive after midnight due to having a Probationary licence, which will expire Dec 11th 2010. Once this one expires then I get my real licence. You have a Probationary licence for 2 years. mines almost done! YAY.

Scott, nah. Its cool. I'm not worried about it. My luck I would need to retard it anyway (Pre-ignition if I don't run 92/93 octain.) Might just be carbon build up somewhere causing this though...? Hmm.

Alright, to keep this thread fair aswell. I did take my car to the carwash lastnight Lol. To cold to hand wash it.

Rob, wheels look badass! Those will look great on that the SVX! Whoot!!

Ben, think about this first....

I can't drive after midnight due to having a Probationary licence, which will expire Dec 11th 2010. Once this one expires then I get my real licence. You have a Probationary licence for 2 years. mines almost done! YAY.

Scott, nah. Its cool. I'm not worried about it. My luck I would need to retard it anyway (Pre-ignition if I don't run 92/93 octain.) Might just be carbon build up somewhere causing this though...? Hmm.

Alright, to keep this thread fair aswell. I did take my car to the carwash lastnight Lol. To cold to hand wash it.

Rob, wheels look badass! Those will look great on that the SVX! Whoot!!

In Iceland, we start at 16y and we are only allowed to drive with our parents. And at your 17th b'day you get your full license if you pass the written and driving test in a Manual car ;)

Heater core (#2) in my 98 RS last October... Did #1 in March. The first was a used unit with around 13,000 miles on it and free. The last one was new, but was a couple hundred dollars. Plus all the intimate time spent with my car (twice), late at night, by myself, wishing I were asleep or something.

Oh geez, have I been busy with my BRAT !!!

Today I tore into the front end, intending to do some much-needed replacement of old, worn parts ! Nothing has really gone wrong yet, but I can't afford to wait for something to fail...a tie rod end letting go could send me off the side of the mountain, the way I drive :grin:

I guess this thing got parked in the grass everyday for 24 years before I bought it. The corrosion is horrendous :eek: truly worse than I had realized.

Ball joints were frozen in the spindles...can't say enough about the selective use of heat and impact ( and lots of PB blaster) to remove them.I don't think they would have EVER come out without the pickle fork.The castellated nuts on the ball joint studs, and on the tie rod ends, had corroded to the point that I had to cut all 4 studs to remove them.

I hate to have to take a sawzall to my truck ! :eek:

But in the end I managed to persuade all of them out from the steering spindles AND the lower control arms. What a task !

Next problem was removing the spindle from the end of the strut...first pinch bolt I put the wrench on snapped. Spent the next hour drilling out the old bolt and re-tapping the hole. Tedious, but necessary.

After all of that mess, the rest was easy !

New struts, new wheel bearings and seals, new tie-rod ends, new ball joints, new brake rotors and pads ! :banana:

Oh what a day, but I have now given my BRAT a good start towards the next 160 K !

Ordered a set of super swampers!!:grin: 29x8.50x15 tsl bias ply, $371.00 delivered to my door brand new. Should be here between 2/12-2/17 I can't wait.....:banana: Did have to promise the girlfriend I wouldn't buy anything for 6 months.. Hope it's worth it! (6 months will probly end up bein like 6 weeks but I'll give an honest effort! Really I will :rolleyes:)

Edited by obk25xt

I built this rack for my gl. It is an old bunk bed frame (like other people have used) with galvo conduit for the bent tube pieces. Not bad considering I have about $7.00 into it. Including the spray paint. :banana: What do you think?

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

thats sweet! gives me ideas..... :banana:

Now that it is done, I think that I should have lowered the tall bent pieces

on the front and back. As well as the 4 corners. They are like 7.25 inches

from the weld point to the top of the bar. Something like 5 inches would be

better for me I think. Thanks for the compliments.:grin:

yea, a very nice job!

-Justin

Mugs,

Looks good, must really catch the wind? Is that an EA81 in there?

-Tom

I don't notice any difference in my driving/handling, so I say it is not much of a wind catch :grin:

Its a 1992 duel port EJ22 with a SACHS XT6 clutch, pressure plate, and pilot bearing. And custom exhaust from the "headers" back. :burnout:

I don't notice any difference in my driving/handling, so I say it is not much of a wind catch :grin:

Its a 1992 duel port EJ22 with a SACHS XT6 clutch, pressure plate, and pilot bearing. And custom exhaust from the "headers" back. :burnout:

Oh, my eyes were deceiving me big time Haha. Well you have the extra power of a EJ22 you wouldn't notice any wind catch/bogg :lol:

Nice rig!

-Tom