Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

I laid in the mud and ice at the junkyard today, but it was worth it. I went to puzzle out how the running lights are wired, and work out a solution to put blinker bulbs in there. I came home with that AND...a new shifter! The d/r swap into my Loyale resulted in a brown shift handle/console in a blue interior. Today I found a blue set/console so I grabbed it :headbang:

Totally worth the 30 minutes of cursing the ice under the car, and the headwhack and the wrench-knuckle. Funny note: the wrench knuckle came not from a wrench, but from wrestling the drive train off the transmission, I whacked it up against the bottom of the body. Oops.

I'm still going to try to swap the pushbutton handle into the d/r tranny, but I can now put the blue 4wd handle in, too! And if the pushbutton thing doesn't work, I have the proper blue handle to match AND the entire related console.

Set up an appointment with the windshield folks. The brat has a leak in an upper corner, only spills at speed.

Long-term, that's not good. Have to replace half the body pan on my Beetle due to *internal* rot from its formerly leaking windscreen.

Any nasty surprises I should be planning for? They're ordering in the specific gasket, even the windshield, if they break mine. (hopefully not)

I may try to sneak some dash tweaking while the windshield is out. just reattach the loose parts somehow..

Set up an appointment with the windshield folks. The brat has a leak in an upper corner, only spills at speed.

Long-term, that's not good. Have to replace half the body pan on my Beetle due to *internal* rot from its formerly leaking windscreen.

Any nasty surprises I should be planning for? They're ordering in the specific gasket, even the windshield, if they break mine. (hopefully not)

I may try to sneak some dash tweaking while the windshield is out. just reattach the loose parts somehow..

where they getting the gasket from?

didn't think they were available, would like to know if they get one or not?

I ran engine codes on my GL today, the prognosis is bleak.

The good news is after another ... 600 dollars worth of parts to get the engine running correctly then all I will need to do is completely rebuild my suspension, interior and replace some stuff on the outside of the car.

GOOD PROJECT!

Edited by PadreScout
yes

where they getting the gasket from?

didn't think they were available, would like to know if they get one or not?

I will find out. He seemed to be nonplussed about it, I think it was about $40 plus installation. Closer examination of the gasket today indicates it needs a swappin'. He was even ordering in the glass in case they break mine. oh boy.

This is a Safelite franchise, been around for years. Their warehouse might be well stocked for Subies regionallly. We shall see.

Finally got my Firestik antenna mounted securely in the stock Outback Limited location and also got my new Cobra 29WXNWST mounted up in the Outback. Played around with my 86 BRAT and replaced the shorty open headers on it with a replacement Y pipe (sounds killer) and took some pics of it with my 82. Got a new thermostat and gasket for the 82 as well. Want to get it all nicely tuned before I go get her SMOGed them putting on a Weber when I get to it.

Pics-

Photo149.jpgPhoto148.jpg

Photo145.jpgPhoto143.jpgPhoto142.jpg

87gl-10 wagon

finnally fixed my power windows! and in celebration a car wash and tune up for my baby

fyi if the wires in the door jam arent the problem its a small blue connector with 5 red wires under the carpet on the pass side foot well mine was smashed and corroded to the point it looked like 5 red wires being connected with jolly rancher crumbs..2 pieces of wire and 3 wire nuts later and they work again!

Your valve cover breather hoses are not hooked up right. And neither is the PCV. hope you get that fixed before you blow it up.

Thanks, I did. That picture was taken at a stopping point before I got the straight connector I needed to lengthen the passenger side hose. I found that SharkBite brand 3/4" PEX connectors in the plumbing aisle at Home Depot are a great, cheap option for this.

Me and the Brat consulted on the proper ratio of gearing to highway speed to mountain road incline... Did I do alright? I passed a Baja.:grin:

..while in North Carolina picking up a camper top for cheap (minus the gas) but will require a bit of re-fabrication to get it fitted.

(upside down, backwards with the tailgate down and tied securely, for those wondering)

He threw in a wheel as part of the deal. Now I have something to start refinishing the OEM white wheels one at a time without lacking a spare.

I put a honda part on mine today :hide: But it is one of the best upgrades I've done, I can see out my rear hatch for the fist time in bad weather! The arm and blade are both off from a honda pilot, I have the part numbers if anyone is interested.

3-38.jpg

another pic

2-44.jpg