Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help!

Hello all!

This is my first time posting; it's so good to find a site that deals especially with Subaru's. I don't know too much about my car, so bear with me...

I have a 1984 Subaru GL wagon, recieved as a gift from my grandfather. It had been used continually for a few years after he recieved it, but as time went on my little Chip sat in the garage for quite a few years. It has 120,000 miles on it and it is in very good external and internal condition. It has 4-wheel drive and a 4-speed manual transmission. We replaced the exhaust and the CV boots, but here comes the real trouble. When I drive it now, the engine seems to lurch after I get up to about 30 mph. On a good day I can get him up to 40, but usually he starts to lurch and sputter around 35. I don't know what's wrong with him! I talked to my uncle and he thinks that it may be the MAP sensor...can anyone tell me what this is and what it does, exactly? Apparently my grandfather had this trouble when it was newer, so it isn't from age. So here's what I want to know:

What is a MAP sensor, and what does it do?

Could this be another problem altogether?

Thanks so much, I look forward to hearing back from people who know a heck of a lot more than I do about my Chip!

Cheers,

Christine

Hello

Well for starters a MAP sensor is a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor. Now the Good news, your Subaru dose not have one. From the symptons you discribed, it sounds like you have a clogged-up primary circuit in the carburetor.

and your model would have had 2 fuel filters. the one under the hood, which is actually known as the vapor separator, and the primary filter which is in front of the passenger side rear wheel, unedrneath the wagon. this one is often neglected, or unknown. I would change out both filters first off...

Hello again all, thanks for the help.

In regards to the MAP sensor, I kind of figured that my uncle had no idea what he was talking about, and now I have proof!

Flow: I have been using fresh gasoline, and we had drained the tank of any old gas before we used it and cleaned it out. I have been using the car now for about 6 months or so.

Can anyone give me a ballpark of how much it would cost to replace these two filters? (vapor separator and primary filter) Or the carburetor?

Also, in doing some poking around under the hood earlier, I noticed that my radiator has holes in it! Could this be why my front end smokes at traffic lights? If so, I don't want to be pouring water in it each time I go out, so how much would a new one cost as well?

Thanks again for all your help, I'd like to get this car up and running so I can get to my classes on time come September.

Cheers,

Christine

might want to check the radiator to make sure you have enough coolant if you suspect it may be leaking. and keep an eye on it for a while.

be sure to check when it is cold though, so you dont get burned.

you dont want to give yourself more problems than you already have...

just a thought to avoid future problems.

might want to check the radiator to make sure you have enough coolant if you suspect it may be leaking. and keep an eye on it for a while.

be sure to check when it is cold though, so you dont get burned.

you dont want to give yourself more problems than you already have...

just a thought to avoid future problems.

I checked the radiator, and sure enough, there isn't any coolant at all! It's all leaked out. One more thing I've gotta replace...stupid holes >_<

Christine

DOH! Me stupid. Turbo's didn't come with 4 speed's....

Anyway, what you describe is either severe fuel starvation (those filters), or *wince* a blown Head Gasket..... I only say that due to your note about it not having any coolant, and only wanting to go 30 MPH. That's about what would happen if you were running on 2 cylinders because of a blown head gasket on one side. It would also nicely explain the lack of coolant.

Fill it will coolant, and crank the engine over with the radiator cap OFF. If coolant shoots out of the opening, you have a bad head gasket on one side. If it were bad on both, it wouldn't run at all, so at the most you are looking at a single head gasket failure. Likely if it was overheated to the point of taking the head gasket out, then your heads are also warped. If this is the case, replace BOTH head gaskets (the other is questionable if one failed), and check the heads for warpage - have them machined if they are out of spec

GD

even if it DID have fuel injectors it'd still have spark plugs, gotta ignite that fuel somehow! I'd replace the fuel filters, and change the oil, plugs, plug wires, cap, and rotor. Get NGK plugs, they are what comes in them from the factory, and are the plugs I've had the most luck with. Bosch Platinums are nice, but the electrode is so small they foul really easily. Welcome to the board, and no we aren't all guys (The females that come to mind are Honda's 86 Brat, MiNoah's Pink Martini, Vickaroo, and BlueSoob.. I think there are more and if I left any of y'all of I apologize :D) and GD a car WILL run with two blown head gaskets, if they are blown into the water channel. If they are both blown between the two cylinders, then no, it won't; run, BUT that won't cause water to shoot out of the radiator :-)

if you get the vapor seperator make sure it is the right one. there is one with 2 ports and one with three. I think a complete tune-up would do wonders and would be pretty cheap. Also I would take the stock carb off the car (mark all vacuum hoses cause there is a bunch) and clean as much as you can without taking it apart. I am not a fan of re-manufactured carbs they tend to be worse than the original you gave up. Oh and if you get it fixed tell your uncle it was the MAP sensor all along. No need educating the already educated.

Hello everyone!

Thank you to everyone who shared their input, Chip is now up and running, and purring like a kitten! And the verdict is....

Fuel filter clog! Ding ding ding!

The one in the front was fine, but when I checked the one behind the wheel it was almost COMPLETELY black with grime! No wonder I was chuggin'. From the looks of it, it looked like it hadn't been cleaned since it's purchase in '84. Thank goodness!

Washed, waxed, and buffed old Chip to a shine, cleaned him out, and bought him a new antennae ball :-). It's a good day in Subaru Land.

Thanks again everyone!!!

PS- As for the radiator, I filled it with aluminum shavings and took him for a 15 mile spin around the "block" with the heat on high...that seemed to do the trick. Hooray!

Cheers,

Christine