Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition Coils???

In Australia, an Accel Superstock costs about $90, and a stock type (Bosch) is about $45, is the performance boost from an Accel coil worth the double price???

Now there is a range of Bosch coils ranging from stock replacements to transformer types, apps.bosch.com.au/products/saa/ignition_coils.pdf

The GT40 sells for about $60

I was under the impression that all coils were transformers????

How do these coils compare up to the Accel coil and are they any better than the stock one????

The past couple years here in the states have not been good for the Accell coils.. I , and many others have used them onlly to have them crap out at the most inconvenient times..(70 miles away from home for me)

Search for 'dead accell' and that will probably net you some interesting stories, along with some explanations.

I use the large Accell Super coils. The deal with these coils and other brands for that matter isn't so much a huge spark improvement but rather the number of cycles that the coil produces. It gives a longer spark and thus better performance.

BTW, I have not had any troubles with these coils. Even after the parts guy dropped the last one I got.

don't know anything about this, but is it possible that the stock coil doesn't supply a spark for the entire length of contact of the distributor rotor? but the accel coil does? i have no idea, just throwing that out there.

i am about to get a new coil and would like to *upgrade* if there is such a thing, so keep the commentaries coming i'm not sure what i'm going to do. but at 204,000 on the original coil i think it's time.

what about MSD since we're talking about coils, don't them make coils? accel can't be the only one out there.

don't know anything about this, but is it possible that the stock coil doesn't supply a spark for the entire length of contact of the distributor rotor? but the accel coil does? i have no idea, just throwing that out there.

i am about to get a new coil and would like to *upgrade* if there is such a thing, so keep the commentaries coming i'm not sure what i'm going to do. but at 204,000 on the original coil i think it's time.

what about MSD since we're talking about coils, don't them make coils? accel can't be the only one out there.

I just put a MSD coil in my 87 wagon. same as stock dimensions. I haven't run it yet, as I'm mid-project with the wagon right now....

I think usually, it's a hotter spark from the better aftermarket coils. making for less misfires under load...

• 1 month later...

My 1990 GT Legacy is missing in particular while the engine is warming up. It starts well from cold and idles okay for a few minutes then it starts to miss. I have had the sensors checked and cleared - the sensors are okay. If you really put your foot down on the gas it seems to stop this.

Does anyone else think that this could be a ignition coil problem?

The past couple years here in the states have not been good for the Accell coils.. I , and many others have used them onlly to have them crap out at the most inconvenient times..(70 miles away from home for me)

Search for 'dead accell' and that will probably net you some interesting stories, along with some explanations.

I second this. mine died 300+ miles from home. acell will not waranty them either from what I hear.

I must be one of the lucky few as I have had my Accel yellow coil for near 4 years now mounted horizontal with out any issues on my 87 Brat. Also the Accel's put out 42k compared to 30k stock coils, you need good wires and plugs to go with it but worth $90 I donot know about that. Is your exchange different than US dollars? I have keep the spare and thinking about throwing under the passenger seat w/ my spare clutch cable.

the super coil will work for some unknown time?...but the stock coil is designed to work in conjunction with the ignitor located in the distributor which is really responsible for the strong spark that subaru already has.....that is why the spark plug gap is recommended at .044...unlike the older version of cars without the ignitor were the gap is set at about .025...it all has to do with resistence valves(ohm's) in there design...less or more resistence in the working parts outside of stock only cause the parts over the long run to burn out sooner...the super coil sounds stronger,(volts) but only at start up and quickly falls to less then stock once it warms up...remember that it is "current" that ignites the fuel and not "volts"..it can be confusing

Refreshing to hear that I'm not the only one. Installed a yellow superstock coil in my wife's 87 GL wagon about 2 years ago. Last summer she started having some problems with drivability -- stalling on acceleration, etc. I tried everything I could think of -- new plugs, wires, cap, rotor (didn't need a coil -- that one's new:rolleyes: ). Cleaned the MAS. Cleaned the TPS. Seemed to run a little better, but still some hesitation and stalling. :banghead:

Finally died around midnight one night last month, in less than the best of neighborhoods... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Had it towed to my mechanic's shop. Diagnosis: Failed coil. Replaced it with a factory unit, has run great ever since. (That is until one of the timing belts broke last Saturday night, but that's another story)

I am in the process of changing a failed coil and was curious if it is a easy thing to do on my own. I am pretty inexperienced and can get someone to replace it for farly cheap but im curious regardless. Also does anyone recommend replacing my failed one with one from a scrap yard? will an ignition coil shut down the whole car if it fails?

This is easy to do so I would go for it. Be sure to have the ignition turned off when you do this. Using a stock one from a scrap yard should be fine. I have never had one fail on me. Since the coil provides the high voltage for the plugs, a bad coil will cause the engine to shut down.