Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4wd question

My 1984 GL wagon shifts into 4wd hi and low just fine, and seems to pull with the best of them. However, getting it OUT of 4wd is a pain. I mean, I really have to beat the crap out of the shifter to get it back into 2wd. I've tried it in and out of gear and while moving or while stopped. Am I doing something wrong? Or is there another issue here.

I've checked/filled the trans oil and filled the rear end differential.

I'll appreciate your thoughts.

Jon

Also it helps immensely if

ALL four tyres are

1) of the same manufacturer

2) of the same size

3) inflated to the same pressure.

I believe, as stated, you will find reversing for 3 or so meters

will relieve the bind and allow for easy disengagement.

You ARE depressing the clutch pedal when you try to shift it between 2/4wd right? Binding or not, I've found that simply depressing the clutch makes it much easier to go between the two.. which is how it was designed to operate anyways.

no, no, no, no, that's all wrong, it is designed to go between 4wd and 2wd while moving without using the clutch, "shift on the fly" when you want to shift between 4wd hi and 4wd LOW, you MUST clutch, unless you are stopped and the engine is off

TIP: if you can not shoft between 2wd and 4wd, becaue there is a horrible grinding syncromesh sound, and when in 2wd you hear a grinding and when in 4wd, the noise goes away, you may have blown a rear axle, :D btdt :eek:

I still shift on the fly.. but I thought I remembered reading a recommendation for clutching between 2/4wd in my owners manual a longtime ago. I must go look again, as I most likely sped through it and picked out only what I wanted to read.

Till then, I consider myself enlightened.

The operation label on the console tells you to use the clutch. The rear axle and diff have very little to do with your problem. The rear diff is open so the axles have no issues with the transfer part of your trans. There is not a center diff on this system. The system has no way to relieve bind up other than tire slippage from terrain.

You are indeed experiencing bind. The info you got to back up will 99% of the time remedy the problem. Also, never use it on a surface that does not allow tire slippage, ie, tarmac, street, concrete, etc.

The problem lies in one or more of the following issues. Using the 4WD system in/on the wrong situations and surfaces. Incorrectly matched tires, diferent size/diameter. This system is very sensitive to small differences in tire size. Make sure they are the same brand, size and wear is even.

Ok, my mistake.

Rereading the book tells me 20 MPH or less to shift into Lo. Also pushbutton 4wd is on the fly, no clutch needed.

Redline :brow:

Actually the book states:

Maximum Speed Limits

Never drive with the tachometer needle in the critical engine speed range except for breif acceleration in an emergency.

And thats right in the 4wd section!