Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ATTN: All Non-Turbo EA82 Drivers

'85 GL, 5-sp D/R 4WD wagon, converted from carb to SPFI - rest of drivetrain & tires stock - generally 23-25mpg in-town (I have a lead foot), and 28-32mpg on the highway - I have found that an exhaust leak/bad O2 sensor will cause my mileage to drop to ~18 or less, and stay there

Auto AWD XT6 6 (6 cylinder) 28mpg

Manual AWD XT6 25/26 mpg

those are highway numbers. 21-23 city driving.

search the older generation forum for "mileage" and you'll get lots of old threads like this, check 'em out. i just did!

if you want straight gas mileage you can't beat the late 80's/early 90's FWD EA82's. i had a 1988 or 89 XT FWD Manual Trans in the early 90's that would get 40+ mpg on all highway driving. i think justy's can work their way up to 45, saw a guy said he got 46 and change in his.

I don't drive it all that much, but when I was using it as a daily, my 88 pushbutton-4WD XT nonturbo 5-spd got around 25 in town and about 35 on the highway.

Realize though that XT's will naturally get slightly better mileage on the road because of the aerodynamics...

87 carbed to spfi lifted D/R 4wd lsd'd SW with 29's... gets about 28 without exhaust leak, or 22 with... city only.. not much HW

89 2wd XT6 very modded lots light weight spinny things:brow: 22 with lead foot in the city, 26ish highway at about 80 mph... less at 135:rolleyes:

84 carbby stock BRAT d/r 4 speed 12... or less... becoming SPFI;)

I see alot of 20's mpg. How Bizarre! My last subaru (87 dl, pushbutton AWD, 5spd, carbed) went into the 50's per gallon (no joke!) without any sign of lean condition @ 166k miles. The old carb I cleaned whistled like a tea pot . I wonder if it was manual steering, windows, no A/C etc....

8 bucks 260 miles (with some left in year 2000) :)