Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru must have been nuts!!!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would it be?

I think it is actually more wear on it to constantly shift to 3 and 4 just to shift back again in a few hundred feet.

fewer shifts= less wear on clutch cable, shift forks, syncros, throwout bearing

The ONLY possible thing I could see as affected by high RPM driving in town is the seal on the input shaft of trans. Keeping that shaft speed up can affect the seal.......but not really.

I figued in would put unneeded stress on the Syncros and throw out. but I guess the more I think of it, it is less ware all around :)

-Tom

wow, I always shift around 4K even with my legacy...

I did however feel like I might be hurting the engine when I have to drive up a long hill and 4th is to high and 3rd is to low with my ea81...Felt wierd to keep the R's over 4500 to climb a hill...

Drive an air cooled VW camper bus for years and you get real used to the 4500 RPM whine.

One thing I also learned on the V-dubs is that in those high rev hill climbs is you often don't need full throttle to keep the RPMs in that 4500 ish range. A lot of times you can back out to about half throtte and hold it steady.

You gotta think like Lance Armstrong is in your engine......"There's no chain".....or crank?.....or whatever

I figued in would put unneeded stress on the Syncros and throw out. but I guess the more I think of it, it is less ware all around :)

-Tom

Synchros are stationary relative to the gear they ride in once engaged.

Same with the throw out. Unless you are riding the clutch all the time, the throw out is totally unloaded when in gear.

As a note, driving with you're hand on the shifter all the time will put undue strain on bearing between 4th and 5th gears This is a common contributor failure of the bearing, and ruining of the face of the thrust washers that each gear rides against too. People drive resting on the shifter in 5th and it puts a constant lateral load on the shaft against the bearing, and 4th gear thrust face.

Same with the throw out. Unless you are riding the clutch all the time, the throw out is totally unloaded when in gear.

As a note, driving with you're hand on the shifter all the time will put undue strain on bearing between 4th and 5th gears This is a common contributor failure of the bearing, and ruining of the face of the thrust washers that each gear rides against too. People drive resting on the shifter in 5th and it puts a constant lateral load on the shaft against the bearing, and 4th gear thrust face.

Huh, wow didn't know either of these.

Thank you :)

-Tom

I just about never shift until the tach tells me it's definitely time...when the tach starts creeping up into the the high R's for the particular gear. Not from a stop in 1st gear, not a whole lot in 2nd. But I do wind it up before changing from 3rd to 4th, oh yeah. Close to redline. What would be the point of having a 5-spd. otherwise?

Still driving my '86 Loyale stocker that I purchased new. It's been my only ride since '86 and it's still happy & strong. Doesn't run hot, doesn't leak oil, doesn't burn oil.

Drive an air cooled VW camper bus for years and you get real used to the 4500 RPM whine.

One thing I also learned on the V-dubs is that in those high rev hill climbs is you often don't need full throttle to keep the RPMs in that 4500 ish range. A lot of times you can back out to about half throtte and hold it steady.

You gotta think like Lance Armstrong is in your engine......"There's no chain".....or crank?.....or whatever

My ea81 needed full throttle and 3rd gear to get up the hills.and it still would slow down.Although a hitachi that needs an accerator pump isnt gonna be fast anyway...

I missed second the other day and floated my valves... ooops. She acts as though she had no qualms about it

and yes my car accasionally sees a 7k shift. For some wierd reason, my EA82's powerband doesn't come around until 4500. Before I did the timing belts, it was 3500 but had less top end.

I would get to about 5500 and the cone filter and exhaust would be screaming for dear life. I swear the intake was as loud as the exhaust, and I have a topspeed pro1 "muffler". :eek:

My driver side timing belt broke, so I am unsure, but i KNOW the passenger side was a tooth off. I am assuming the driver side was off also.

Wow I learned alot from this thread I have been shifting at 3,000 mile have to try it a little higher. However I do not think I will show this thread to my 16 year old son it might give him some ideas. He will be driving this car and I would PERFER he thinks it is a gutless wonder. (he likes our titan V 10 better as it has more ready power. ) I already know better. However I definatly understand the oil pressure point. I can definatly see it raise the higher the RPMs. Of course he will find out soon enough....

I was always concerned about the engine and tranny in the higher rpms now I see I may be wrong..Chalk another one up in the Honey was right poster. I guess you can call me another granny driver.Of course you dont want to follow me in the V10 after I drive the subaru I forget the power it has and last time I drove it I caught myself going 70 in a 45. I perfer the Subaru though it is easier to drive and not so big (V10 is a shuttle bus) Of course if I rev it up more I may get myself into some trouble as I am used to driving pedal to the metal and where I live the patrol officers are all over I usually see 3-5 in a 20 minute drive. 5 years ago you couldn't find one when you needed one.

Why shift after 4k?

Cuz it scares the crap out of everybody around me! :-p

I love the rumbling roar I get out of my BRAT at 4-5 grand.

My lego gets pushed to 4k in first then about 3-3.5k for every other gear.

If I'm getting on the freeway however, get outta my way, cuz I like to do 65-70

by the time I'm merging onto the freeway.

Those are usually 5.5-6k shifts. :eek:

Twitch

1st gear 5300

2nd gear 5000

3rd gear 4800

4th gear 4600

thats where I shift mine.. With the lift and big tires I have no power if I shift at any lower RPMS. If I'm in deep mud, add 1000 RPMS to all the shift speeds.. LOL

got 310k miles out of the first one, just passed 200k miles on the second engine. Never had a prob with high rpm shifts.

my 86 wagon:

EA82:

Around town in easy mode: ran in the 2500-3500 range.

Around town in mad mode: readline or above.

On the hiway: redline all the way.

Passing cars on the hiway: redline it in 3rd.

Just before the ej conversion, I was hitting valve float at 7550 rpm - boy, did that engine sound like a scaled dog up there. Music to my ears.

EJ22

2500-4000 range - most torque.

Passing cars on the hiway: never had to downshift.

Hey,

"I chicken out before the engine does. :grin:" :)

Well as long as it runs clean, I've never hurt one. I'm thinking the upper limit is the point where the valve springs lay down. I'm not positive tho. All EA-82's I've had would do 7 to 7250 before you hear why you need to back off.

Low range on mud, full throttle power shifts to 7250 are fun:) Especially with a light car. The gear changes come very quick tho.

Doug

• 2 years later...
It is worse to underrev an engine than overrev it to an extent. 2300-3000 is way too low. I rev 1st out preddy high than the rest are at or above 4 grand. Hehe ea81 are slugs between 1-3 grand.

Also what do these engines red line at?

well my 81 brat with same engine says it redlins at about 6 and i dont feel the pwer kick in til about 3000 rpm and the note it gives with the straight pipe i have is music to my ears:burnout:

Okay i've only had my ea82 gl for a few weeks now and after 1500km i took a read though my owners manual (ya, i was surprised to see i had one too)

anyways first think i noticed was the car is rated for 90 octane or higher...not a performance machine and yet needs the good gas, sure why not.

then i was looking though for what Subaru calls ideal shift points; first to second gear 22kph second to third 45kph :confused: so my wife and i went for a drive and i tried it, WHO THE HELL SHIFTS AT 4000rpm ALL THE TIME!!! the manual repeats this a couple of times. for rapid acceleration it says to shift from first to second at 29kph and from second to third 55kph, 5 grand shifts :headbang:

does anybody really drive like this??? right now i drive like i drove my other cars, shifting between 2300-3000rpm for most conditions and i retain 33-37mph circumstantially. i know for a fact that i couldn't do that if i shifted a 4g i'm not even sure how long the engine would last like that

Chim does:burnout: