Ultimate Subaru Message Board

D#@MNIT locked the keys in my ea81

Fortunately these cars are the "unlockable" type, with a slim jim.. Usually campus security has one. My only other suggestion, is try to find someone with an old datsun, or early nissan. The keys they use are very similar to our subaru one. if your tumbler is worn out enough, you might be able to get a datsun key to unlock your car.

since there's no window frame on the door this is an option...

take a long solid rod, and provided you can "pull" the top of the window out enough to get you hand and rod in, you can swin the rod and hit the lock to unlock it...

at least that's how I did it in a Legacy at a junkyard....

I agree on the window thing ... for me it was easier to get a long stick (I used a curtain rod) and push it all the way to the other side of the car and PUSH the lock mechanism, rather than trying to get something behind it to Pull it.

Good luck!

I agree with this method, worked for me on my then-new '77 Celica. Minimal or no damage.

Call campus security/police/fire first though.. they'll have you unlocked in a jiffy:) .

Just my 2 bucks

Take a copy of your registration (or your insurance card) and your license down to the subaru dealership...

...if you get lucky, they have your key code information, and they can use the VIN to look it up...and make you a copy by VIN code.

$13 bucks at my dealer for that. But they could do it in like 10 minutes, you're right.

But Jons stuck at school and probably no where close to the Subaru dealership..and he probably has his reg and insurance....in the car??? If you were closer Jon I would run out quick and jimmy you open..I used to own my own repo company..I am the queen of the slimjim/coat hanger;)

I agree on the window thing ... for me it was easier to get a long stick (I used a curtain rod) and push it all the way to the other side of the car and PUSH the lock mechanism, rather than trying to get something behind it to Pull it.

Good luck!

that's almost what i did when my sis locked the keys in the ignition with the engine running..luckly the window was down about an inch which helped greatly...

BTW-so did you get in yet???

Yeah....I have to say, of all the cars I've ever had to break into...... the Subaru is by far the hardest to do with a slim jim, the rubber seal at the bottom of the door windows can be a b!*ch. The easiest ever was my Z, it took like 3 seconds to get into.

BTW, I'm not a professional theif or anything but I am blonde and locking my keys into my car is something I've done many,many,many,many times....

i was able to connect 2 coat hangers and slip them by the window, and then i was able to pull the lever to open the hatch:banana:

thank god subarus have a inside hatch release

thanks again:headbang:

that's how i got into my gl-10.didn't chime when the key was in the ignition and was always leaving the keys inside...(3-4 times)

glad to hear you got back in..:banana:

(good thing your seat backs weren't locked)

Beleive it or not, I keep some finger nail clippers with me at all times.

The little file can and will open most older Soobs.

my friend keeps a collection of old subaru keys with him... and unless its a new lock in a subaru, he has so far been able to open all the subarus he has tried with at least one of his keys :grin::brow:

The one time this happened to me with my EA82 wagon, it took the AAA guy over an hour to give up and call in and ask for how. Turns out the Sube wagons couldn't be opened with a slimjim on the front doors; the trick is to use the slimjim on the rear door; he had it open 5 minutes later. My solution: I wear a true keychain around my neck at all times with spare keys for all our cars. Since I started that, I've never locked myself out of my car. :lol:

The one time this happened to me with my EA82 wagon, it took the AAA guy over an hour to give up and call in and ask for how. Turns out the Sube wagons couldn't be opened with a slimjim on the front doors; the trick is to use the slimjim on the rear door; he had it open 5 minutes later. My solution: I wear a true keychain around my neck at all times with spare keys for all our cars. Since I started that, I've never locked myself out of my car. :lol:

That's weird - I've opened them with the car's antenna before..... but then I've replaced a few lock mechanisms, and seeing how they work helps. When I open them I pull or push the lock mechanism horizontally. That usually gets em open.

GD