Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Egg in the radiator?

the zip ties holding the lower section of the radiator failed which allowed the crank pully to eat some of the radiator.It now has two small pinhole leaks.Can I pour something in there to fix it?Tomarrow (friday) I am/was going to drive my car to the college and there I would make the Y pipe(SMAW is hard for exhaust,but do able...)Now hovever it seems like that might not happen cause of the radiator.

Might wanna carry a dozen with ya on you way to school.

Make sure you get 'em to a fridge though :eek:

I've used the stop leak stuff. works decent on pinhole leaks.

but you could also hit it with some QuikSteel (available at your local Wal-Mart). It's a 2-part epoxy alot like JB, but applies like a putty, so it's much easier to work with. I blew out 3 rows of my radiator (don't ask how :confused: ) while on the trail last summer, and I used a bunch of QuikSteel to save it. My buddy who has that wagon now says it hasn't leaked a drop since :banana:

Eggs are really tough. Egyptian paints were one part eggand are still as vibrant today as the day they were applied.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/2004/July/02.html

http://www.4x4review.com/tech/radiator.asp

Personally i would prefer stop leak as it can handle larger leaks. Also its engineered for it. Its pretty much a wives tail (in modern cars) that it will clog up the cooling system, unless you put more then one in. ALso if it clogs anything up, guess what, it was going to clog anyway. Stop leak needs air heat (temperiture differential) and pressure to activate .

GM and SUbaru wouldnt use it as an oficial additive if it was going to clog anything up.

nipper

but stop leak also gets into the other parts of your engine.and can clog up those vital,don't wanta lose passages tat are smaller in size.

these products can kill your water flow and ruin your rig.

use the egg if you must,then take the damn radiator out,buy some 50/50 lead solder and get a propane torch.clean the areas around the pinholes and heat until almost red.apply the solder much in the same manner as soldering electronics.this will fill the holes permanently.i have done many a repair on radiators without fail.

oh, and start paying attention!:grin:

my last fiasco was a very large wrench used to turn the motor to top dead center for a valve job that never got taken off.:eek:

well, i started the engine.boom,clank,chingggggggg onto the ground it went,after it slammed into the radiator.yikes. i double check everything now.:lol: cheers, brian

ive never heard of this....what exactly do you do with the egg?

The yolk coats the surfaces and then congeals when the water heats up.Kinda like a hard boiled egg... Get some Soildiers and you got a meal! (or am I talking too much British).Heck, go the whole fry-up....Bacon, sausage and baked beans...I'm getting hungy...

my last fiasco was a very large wrench used to turn the motor to top dead center for a valve job that never got taken off.:eek:

well, i started the engine.boom,clank,chingggggggg onto the ground it went,after it slammed into the radiator.yikes. i double check everything now.:lol: cheers, brian

I think we all do this once. I did it on a water pump on some straight 6, as the bolt backed out, the ratchet got closer and closer to the radiator, then got jammed..... instant hole.

nipper

The egg does work, and will last a little while actually. Basically the hot coolant and water pump results in scrambled eggs that jam in the small holes as the coolant circulates. Mythbusters got it to work with a pretty good sized hole they made using an awl (ice pick) that had a stream of water shooting out of it. Quite the leak I would say. Sure it's temporary, but it's impressive in it's effectiveness and cheapness. Definately an option to make it to next payday.... and doesn't result in a clogged heater core or other adverse effects. The egg will eventually break down and just drain out unlike some of that expensive stop-leak crap.

GD

Have never even heard of the egg trick. ...

Well... me too... :eek:

Some months ago, my White EA82 Wagon got a "Micro" Hole in the Radiator, ´cos I Forgot to put between the Fan´s Base and the Radiator, a pair of Spacin´ Washers... (My Wagon got a Special Custom Double metallic Radiator, due to our Tropical Climates heat) ...So it was Leakin´ Coolant.

I Just Purchased a Epoxy Glue, called "Cold Weldin´ Compound" ( see this Link for Further Details: http://proseal.supergluecorp.com/64600.html ) and covered with it the Area...

it Works very Fine! ... it Fixed up the Problem.

Maybe that idea could Help you...

Good Luck! :burnout:

Sorry about not updating this thread!The egg works fine.Only problem is the coolant SMELLS LIKE EGG(not good kind either,bad egg smell)Then my HG's blew(ran at something like 260*F for 5 minutes,then two weeks later both HG's blow)

Sorry about not updating this thread!The egg works fine.Only problem is the coolant SMELLS LIKE EGG(not good kind either,bad egg smell)Then my HG's blew(ran at something like 260*F for 5 minutes,then two weeks later both HG's blow)

add katsup :)

nipper

Fine?? how fine if it let the temp get up to 260? this sounds like a hard boiled idea to me...

besides, pepper smells better.