Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Favorite Subie

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my 93 Loyale, it's very humble, and it's PAID FOR!!!As far as "dream" cars go, I would have to say mid 80s 4dr RX.

For the imposible dream, it would be one of those early 80s EA81 RX's,

that would be too cool :brow:

Cheers,

Chris

My favorite sube would be my first car. It is a 1987 Subaru 3 door GL turbo coupe with fulltime 4wd drive, dual range, center diff lock, rear lsd, rally suspention, rx seats, etc. It had every option the RX had except the white paint and the side & rear skirts. It was given to me by my brother in 2000. It inspired me to get my license. Thats right, I got this car before my drivers license. The first two years it has been reliable, but after that it has been a lemon. Every damn thing keeps breaking on it, but I still love it. I love the way it drives. I learned a heck of a lot fixing it too. I knew nothing about cars when I started, and now I know more than any of my friends. The sube has been sitting on my driveway for almost a year now. I am almost ready to tackle my first head job on it. When I pull the engine to replace the heads, I plan to do a lot of serious upgrades. Part of the list of goodies includes a VF11 turbo, wrx intercooler & bov, delta cams, spider intake, xt6 flywheel & clutch, and TWE header & downpipe. I can't wait. Love this car and I will never get rid of it.

Well--I've owned many different Subie's--

Best econ car--'91 Justy--Wife & I ran it for over 112,000 miles before a *#$%@# Chev Tajunk broad on her cel rammed the wife in the rear at 30+ mph--Diamond-shaped the Subie bad--still, all the doors worked & the car kind'a drove----

Best basher---toss-up between a '84 Gl wagon & a '85 GL hatch---I couldn't kill either one (and I tried!!!) both are out of my life--still driving for other owners---

'89 GL wagon--bought it for the wife with 150,000 & a overheated engine for 250.00---put a wrecking yard engine in & now the wife has over 250,000 on it-- The Subie that just keeps on goin'----

And now the '82 GLF--I've made it a one-of-a-kind car & am doin' more all the time to it--the best $350.00 i've ever spent for a car that ended up like it has---Currently has less than $2500 invested in a Autocross car that kills newer & more expensive machinery--T-Rex-WRX has spun some minds around as to what a 'cross car needs to be---

Well- that's my two cents worth---

not that i have much experience in them, but for the ones ive actually driven myself id have to say that my 94 (or any year) loyale wagon is a very reliable car. not only that, its boxy enough to look good with a couple of mods on the exterior, unlike those round model cars that look too early nineties-ish. plus all the good features that have been listed in previous posts, it has TONS of room! i can put a mattress from a queen size bed in the back with the seats folded down. i can put an extra bench seat in the back for hauling all my car-less friends around, i can put an awesome sound system and not have to worry about how big the subs should be, i can put a full size computer, a tv/dvd/vcr, a ps2/xbox/gamecube + 4 friends to play it, and a sm. fridge in the back seat if i wanted to. not to mention the a/c when its too hot, heat when its too cold, power windows when its too nice NOT to have them down, and ultimate road trip capabilities. i dont think life would go on without one.

in the future, the next sooby i would like to get for fun is an 87 xt6 5mt, 4wd, h-6, huge moonroof, and a dash console that looks like it should be on an f15 eagle. it seems like it could be a great rallycross racer.

I would have to put my vote in for the 83 GL 4wd 4spd wagon!!! my favorite, which was also my first subaru, and i had a second like it.. (the blue wagon with the tow truck lights) and those 2 wagons had been thru the most with me with the least trouble :brow:

if i was to buy another old subaru for a driver... it would most likely be an 83 wagon! (white with blue interior!)

i think its completely impossible to pick a favorite SUBARU.

over the years there have been so many different types with different unique features that if i ever owned any of them, each and every one of them would grow on me, so im sure right now we can say we love one model the most. but if we put as much time and energy into a different subie, we would love it just as much.

so i think that every subie is in its own "class", and you just cant compare them against each other. sure xt to xt6, but brat to wagon??? or rx to hatch?? nope! i love 'em all.

"SUBARU ALL W'ELL DRIVE "

not RX ALL W'ELL DRIVE,

or Wagon ALL W'ELL DRIVE.

but SUBARU. heh heh I LOVE EM ALL! :-p

tyler

A very hard question to answer. I love all Subarus but I do have a soft spot for the earlier models as they are the start of the Subaru blood line that we all love today.A WRX-STI would be nice though.But I must say that cruising in the GSR is an awsome feeling even though its over 30yrs old it still has style and class.Hey but all Subarus have style and class don't they.

Guest Vickaroo

Mine.... for playing in the mud and climbing the hills would have to be my DRTYGRL!!!!! :brow: 86 wagon webber and lift and all the goodies chef tim had added to her... hasnt left me afoot yet... for winter driving its the Brat!!!! She handels great in the snow for a little thing.... And now for show and speed its the 05 RS2.5!!!! so I do have 3 favs Vicky

Well, the favourite would be the 87 GL Hatch with on-demand 4x4. 'Cept that it needs enough work to be a project sitting in the woods up to it's axles in mud at the moment. Which makes the contender the 2000 Impreza Outback Sport.

Still toying with the idea of resurecting the old 'BaruGL, but waiting on the funds. Needs a new carb, clutch, battery, and quite a bit of body work (rust in the quarterpanels, replacement fenders and a door skin, etc.). Still, for a car that cost me less than 1k$ used in 1996, I sure got my use out of it. Took me from Vancouver to Ottawa, and chalked up at least 200k in the eight years on the road. And for a pockmarked (hail storm) beige beast, who knew she could top out at 153kph. Still credit the golfball-like dimples for the extra aerodynamics <G>.

And now I find I'm drooling over other people's Brats. I guess Soobs are like peanuts - ya just can't stop at one...

--wd

• 8 months later...
SVX no specific year' date=' has to be AWD version. Color would be the white/black one. Why? b/c is looks like a exotic car. Leather int, great view with those big windows. flat 6 engine:slobber:[/quote']

I agree with everything accept for the year. The 1992 SVX's didn't have a governer, making their top end 144. So, the 1992 SVX LS-L, white with the black top is the Subie to have.

Its pretty hard to pick just one

i'd have to agree,one's just as good as the other.myself even though i love my 94 legacy gt wagon.i still yearn for my old 86 gl wagon with d/r 5 spd.:slobber:

guess i'll have to look for another one like it(cheap of course,hole in my wallet):(

• 10 months later...

Favorite I once owned = 1980 White, Rusting, Running on 3 cylinders Cyclops Wagon, but may be displaced with Murphy the $500 87 T-Wag, once I put the 5spd D/R tranny in.

Favorite I want / will have by the end of this year, assuming I stick to my New Years Resolution to get one???

An SVX!!!!

I DREAM about to Get a Lifted Loyale AWD with the new H6 3.3 of the Outback... Huge Tires, Mud Everywhere... (Well I Live in Honduras, so Here Mud is ALWAYS Everywhere... I Mean in the Car after a Long Ride!) but I haven´t enough money to do it...

I LOVE the Loyale Wagon... :D ...but my Favourite Subie is the SVX. I really Love it, Also the new Outback Blitzen 50 Anniversary...

...Now I´m Runnin´ to Get a Lotto Ticket... :brow: ...Maybe... :burnout:

Well, i think i own my dream subbies...

1983 Brumby Ute ,EA82T ,5 speed AWD ,LSD ,Lifted ,28" wheels etc

Something really cool and different about these utes, plus brilliant off road.

1983 Twin Carb Coupe ,EA81 ,4 speed D/R ,LSD etc

These coupes are an absolute classic i think, I'm getting this up to the standard to race in the classic comps at Ruapuna and around NZ.

1996 Impreza HX-20, Full body kit and 17" low profiles, mint 24,000 k's

This is the shape of impreza i like the most, better than the latest i think and certainly better than the horrible "bug eye" IMHO.

I think the only other one i would go out and buy when it comes available to me, would be a 80's Hatch (prefer 83). But i can't find one for love or money in NZ at the moment. but oh yes... it will be mine!

If anyone sees one in NZ, let me know.. I want to buy it!:) any condition.