Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What do your friends think of your hobby!?

Shadyirishmen

What do your friends think about your Subaru offroad vehicle?

For Instance: Most of my friends think it is the coolest thing they have ever seen, but some guys point at my car and are like why in the F*$K would you do that to a Subaru for.

Another example: (My Girlfriend) Who hates my car and is embarrassed to drive it. She tells me to sell it but I refuse.

Really I just want to get a taste of what people think about the lifted ru's out there and maybe what you have said to justify yourself (to naysayers), or to one up yourself by being the coolest kid on the block.

the people i live with (NY) mostly thing it's cool, but one of them who drives a blazer thinks it's not so cool.. maybe because i have more clearance, and better off-roading skills than he does :brow:

My dad thinks it's awesome... i've gotten alot of props on campus... My friends at home (NH) think it's funny... my mom has no clue what's going on...

The girlfriend doesn't understand why i put so much time into it, and hates the thing :rolleyes:

my friends don't think any of my cars are worth anything. they think vws suck and my old subaru is well lame. i get tired of it but i blow it off and it dosn't get to me. my friend is a honda guy and i respect that. just pisses me off when he cant respect what i enjoy. oh well.

my dad dosn't mind my car stuff. the more i learn about my dad the more i see how much he rubbed off on me. he had a 66 vw bug with a hand full of mods... duel carbs, couterballanced crank, highlift cam, header pipes, lightened flywheel... swaybars... :D... he even told me he had it up to 95mph one time, and got a chance to race around SIR (pacific raceways ) so each time i want to work on the car or whatever.. i just remind him of his youth. i guess we are the minority when it comes down to it. we are much more innovative, having to think of stuff rather than looking on nopionline and buying the latest chip, intake... whatever.

the rest of my family... sisters and mom don't understand at all. but i don't care.. they like it when i fix there car. ;)

but they cant complain about me spending alot of money.. not too many folks can drive around in a 100 dollar car and drive it home. maybe my friends just make fun of me because im a tightwad

Most of my friends love it! some of them have an old D/R Subaru next on their wishlist!!

but when I take it out on the trails, and do better than the jeeps with way more money into 'em...they're usually threatened, and have some pretty negative things to say :rolleyes:.....whatever, I know it's because they're insecure about their heeps :headbang:

The only friends I have are Subaru owners, except for family members. In my area, when people see my Hatch, its a good response. Usually a thumbs up or a "Nice rig, man", or "thats so cool" (from the kids). I had one gal at my espresso stand say its the funniest looking thing she has ever seen. I replied, "would you be laughing when I rolled over your little Honda?" :grin:

whenever im out wheeling i get alot of looks, but i havent had one yet where someone is dissapointed, just suprised..... everyone that i have run into around here is ready for something different, and the subaru is that something different..... its not a jeep, but it can still go places..... of course the wife to be doesnt understand it, and neither do my parents ( funny, seeing as my dad introduced me to this site when i got my first subaru ) but i dont mind..... most of my friends think its cool and different, which is ok, because my ride exppresses my opinions and ideas......

I'm pretty sure my neighbors hate me (not my fault the muffler broke off) (well, it was, but...)

Best friend hates it, semi-embarrased to be seen in it

Coworkers think it's awesome "Is it the jacked up one? That's bad!"

Other drivers seem to have a "What the...?" look on their faces

All my friends love my wagon. I have a friend that is gonna get his GL lifted just because he saw mine and sh@t his pants. There is also another kid who loves offroading the GL. Once he saw mine hes gonna lift his too. I haven't had really any negative comments about it.

I went to a mud drags thing a while ago. I didn't enter, but at the end of the mud drag there was alot of leftover mud just lying around. So when I was leaving the event I did some really nice mud drifts and I saw these guys hootin and hollerin at me like a bunch of rednecks. Good times.

Project Cheap gets stared at everywhere I drive. Several comments, none of them which I would consider bad. Worst one was probably "That's the most interesting thing I've seen in a long time" from a guy I work with. Most of the time it's all very good comments, and people just being plained shocked in amazement. Though I was too after I got the wheels and tires on. The best thing is pulling up next to a jeep/other suv and sitting at the same height if not taller...I just smile as they stare at the lifted 80's sedan next to them.

I know most people think I'm nutz but I'm perfectly okay with that, I like to do things different.

I get a mixed response. Most of my friends weren't sure about it till they road in it. Now they are like wow subarus are so fun.

I am the only lifted roo in my area so I am noticed and known for it.

So of the offroaders thinks it's a joke (prolly coz I have street treads :rolleyes: ), but some of them have been helpfully in building bumpers and skid plates and general tips are where to wheel.

most of my friends think i'm crazy, but think its cool too. when i went with work buddies down to brown's camp and went wheeling with them, followed them on all the trails they we're amazed at what my subaru did, now they don't laugh at it as much anymore. there are places that i've gone where stock jeeps and hummers won't go, so thats impressive. all in all my friends think its cool but still say i should get a cherokee and almost everyone i run in to or see on the street give me a thumbs up or "that thing is cool".

i usually get the 'your crazy' looks when they look over and see the car covered in mud, a few co-workers have asked me before why i got those big tires on it and after i tell them its got hi-lo 4wd they think its cool. have even gotten the respect of a cpl offroaders by making it up hills they they cant even make it up, and i was rolling on stock tires with street tread then.about the only ppl that seem irritated are the cpl that have rigs that have the rockerpanels even with the bottom of my window yet when we compare the underside i have as much if not more ground clearance then they do!!!even had 1 guy go buy bigger tires since for soem reason he felt inferior lol

My friends are hard core rock crawlers. They were skeptical when I first started my project.

I think they now accept it for what it is. It's a cool trail rig but not a hard core crawler.

They called my Diff "Cute!".

For as much flack as I get, I find that when I appear, they are telling their friends

"this is the one I was talking about", "this is the Subaru"!

That tells me that there is much talk behind my back. Everyone has questions.

People (I don't know) follow me or stop at my house to find out what it is?

My wife paid the money and sent away for the plans. She thinks it's cool.

I've now reached legendary status among my kids and their friends.

On the 4th of July in neighborhood gatherings I'll give the kids rides and the lines never end!

I think my hobby is well accepted.

Glenn

I belong to an off road club caled 3 Rivers Offroad, these guys are HARD CORE. And they can't wait for me to get the new roo built, they all want to see what it can do. My wife says "Why can't you build a more manly off-road rig?" but I have an '84 3/4T 'burb with a 6" lift and 35's in the driveway allready:-p so I think she just wants me to give up on the off-road roos. Most of my friends think it's cool, they know I wouldn't wheel 'em if they werent capable.

To everyone i know i'm "that roo guy" my friends think i'm nuts, but they respect me for it, especially once they see it in the snow, must have pulled out 100 cars in the last 3 years, and about 75 were in the school parking lot.

All the "car guys" in my auto classes thought i was stupid, and always said i should prove my rig out at the "power lines" but strangely when ever i told them i was gonna be out there they had somthing else to do.

My dad of all people wants the Water Wagon, he's not a car guy at all, but now even my mom is kinda frustrated at how much he talks about it.

The 1 "non subie" person that i know that likes it, is a guy i went to school with, he has a cool old 92 dodge PU with a 360, we'd wheel all the time.

I guess you could say i've rubbed off on people, 5 people have bought subies because of me.

my friends think I'm crazy... showed some of them up in the legacy today.. ended up busting the exhaust and flattening all the tires but I showed them!!!!!

(btw the legacy is my stock daily driver... with street tread, and and auto.. and it walked right up (From a stop at the bottom) this steep snowy moss covered hill that my friend's mazda pickup wouldn't make it up if you hit it at 30)

go out there and rage it and you will make some believers. I'm going back to this place they showed me today, tomorrow, for some pics

Well my subaru isn't lifted, but other people that aren't have posted here so I will too, and it is my hobby.

Most of my friends don't have cars so they all think its awesome, and the ones that do have cars all own little wannabe ricers with cut springs etc.

I can't remember the number of times idiots have told me to 'turn the leaves upside down and put some bling on there','it'll be gangsta.'

Meh, I guess I've always been a little different.

My friends have always been die hard chevy, ford or IH guys. But from the very first time that I took the Brat out on a trail, even in it's stock form, they have been quite impressed. For the longest time I was the scout vehicle (Even though we had 3 IH scouts in the crew, go figure), on trails. I would bomb down them, and report back on the CB as to how wide, tall, and sloppy it was. Then they would follow. But now, in it's latest evolution, they don't even really think of it as a weird Soob, it's just one of the crew. Acceptance by a lot of different people with lots of different rigs has been one of the greatest accomplishments of my Brat.

the one friend i have that owns a 4wd(heep grand cherokee) thinks it's cool.specially after showing him some of the video clips from here plus the video i got from zap.when he saw that he was like " HOLY SH&*,i didn't think a subaru could do that" the rest of my friends haven't decided if i'm loopy or not.

as far as family.moms all for it as long as i don't break anything.other family members don't really say much.

well.. I'll start with, when I said I hate this POS car (my subaru brumby in my sig) my mum and brother both say, I'll but it off you!!! :-\ I don't really mean I hate it, it just gives me the _hi_s sometimes...

My brothers mate seems to like it, but he drives a 97 imp, so, that might be why. All my friends like it. I don't think anyone I've talked to didn't like it. Strange that, huh?

It could be the 3" shiny rollbar/illegal tint (too dark)/or the 12" sub that sits right behind the driver. Or it might be the 27" mudders! :D

Even the toyota guy at a local offroad spot said sometihng like "nice, is that lifted?) That was just before a mate with a 83 3"lifted wagon pulled him out of a mud hole tho.

I don't care what people think, I'll run 'em over :D Someone did yell out "fa**ot" at me when I was driving my dads 85 stock white wagon, wish my bro was in my ute behind me, then he could show them what a real engine sounds like. Damn ricers.

Sorry if any of that was a little to offencive.. :-\