Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How many times has someone...

...called your high mileage Sooby "junky", "smelly", or even a "death trap"?

I personally shrug it off telling them I got a car that starts every morning and takes me to work, all the while getting 27+MPG, for less than some people's car payment (I'm in SF, people here buy BMW 7-series on credit... :rolleyes:)

Add to this, I get one of the most solidly built 4wd systems out there, that can show a CR-V or RAV-4 what for any day of the week.

Constantly... especially because of the "cool" things I have done to it... Ive heard "if you polish s**t today, its still s**t tomorrow" a few times...

I just dont give those people rides and I tell them that (at least now) my car is paid off and I get cheap insurance.

Edit: I only have 178K on my 86 GL though.

I found for my brother a 94 Impreza that at the time had 150,000 miles on it.

It was $600. It was beat up. It had no hubcaps, just black ugly steelies.

The interior wasn't the cleanest. I tell you what though, that car started right up every time and continues to do so to this day.

The front rotors have been replaced and the ignitor was replaced. As well as the MAF. Those are the only things that have been done to the car and it now has 210,000 miles on it and it still starts up every day and goes where-ever it is directed to go. It's got three trips to Florida under it's belt and at least 20 trips between NJ and NY and PA.

It's going to need a clutch soon and the axle's done, but engine wise...it's the energizer bunny.

I hear that from my wife every day... and twice on days that I work on it.

:D LOL

bought my first Subaru - an 89 GL 5 spd, FWD wagon with 152,000 on the clock for $150.

Yes, I had to put some money into it to get it road worthy, but I drove that car for 8 years! Any money I put into it, I got back out of it twofold (if not more).

When she was finally taken off the road due to severe salt cancer, she had 265,000 plus on the clock, still started and ran great, even after sitting for several months. When I hauled her off to the junkyard, I got a little more than $180 out of her for scrap (this was after some of the more useful parts were removed). That car did not owe me a dime.

Yes, she was ugly, butt ugly even, and living on a gravel road, usually dirty, and dusty inside - but, She was bought and paid for, and insurance was ridiculously cheap, and I got better than 30 mpg out of her. So any naysayers can keep their $200 plus a month car payments, and full coverage insurance costs, I was the one coming out ahead in the end. :D

I was told many times I would never get dates or any Females looking my way.....it was true!....... For driving an old Junky Subie.

Got rid of the old subie, got a girlfriend, got Married, had a Lovely daughter, got Divorced, Now looking for another Junky Subie :D

Life is wonderful and full of expeirience when you have/had a Junky Subie:burnout:

Bought my first Subie in 1993. The guy told me that alot of people had come to look at it... but got scared off because he had put a Weber on it and had lost alot of the emissions hardware. It was a 1985 GL Wagon (only 8 years old), 4wd, 5mt, D/R. I needed a four door because my wife was pregnant with our first child and we need the whole infant seat / baggage room scenerio. I bought the car for $1200... came with an additional set (4) of studded snow tires.

I brought all three of my newborn children home from the hospital in that car. It was the family wagon. Got divorced in Year 2001. I got the '85 Subaru in the divorce valued at $400. Yes, guys... you have to PAY for your half of the assets (like I had to pay $300 for my 8mm Mauser hunting rifle that I had since I was 16).

I still own the car. I have done nothing to the motor. Only one set of brakes, a few caps/rotors, new plug wires, one fuel filter, 2 front axles, a preventative timing belt change at 160,000.

The car currently has 205,000 miles on it. I just bought my first and only new set of tires for it a few months ago (I ran out both sets that it came with). I drives SO much better now. It has primer on it in several spots... still need to paint it.

When I stop for fuel, I always tell the attendent "NO... it's NOT for sell". They always look at me funny... like why would they even think of buying it!

Owned it for 19 years now. Thinking about putting it up for sell soon... will probably list it at $10,000.

Ok... I lied. I WILL NEVER SELL THAT CAR !!!

If they would let me... I would be buried in it. (Have you priced coffins, lately). Ha... Ron W.

I have some friends who don't feel safe or some crap riding in my car. It's loud and bouncy. But I think it looks awesome, it's a really amazing car.

Not only that, I beat a few modified 2.5RS's at a rallyX last weekend :D

void0-11.jpg

void0-14.jpg

Old and junky my arse, I love it.

OH, and over the 3ish years I've owned it, a couple people have asked if they could buy it. I said $8,000, and they thought I was kidding.

I have also been told that I would never get a girlfriend in my Subaru. Not true. :D

I get a lot of attention in my little Brat. I see those girls lookin. :cool: lol

My ex girlfriend hated Subarus, with a passion. :Flame:

But theres this girl I'm pursuing now; first time I gave her a ride in my Brat she was telling me how cool it was. I think I found a keeper. :headbang:

I have also been told that I would never get a girlfriend in my Subaru. Not true. :D

I get a lot of attention in my little Brat. I see those girls lookin. :cool: lol

My ex girlfriend hated Subarus, with a passion. :Flame:

But theres this girl I'm pursuing now; first time I gave her a ride in my Brat she was telling me how cool it was. I think I found a keeper. :headbang:

That's how I got mine!

Ben (93 Loyale) is my girlfriend's first car.

It was my introduction to these vehicles actually, I remember she needed a car for school. The guidelines were: Cheap, reliable, and good on gas.

That's when I came across him on Craigslist.

1993 Subaru Loyale LOW MILES! WTF...is a Loyale? I remember thinking haha

I clicked the link and I saw the machine.

I recall telling her I found a great car for her. The drawback, I told her, was that it was ugly as all hell.

It was listed for 1-5 we got it for 1 even. This was 2 years ago. 84,040 miles on it now as of this morning.

She recently was involved in a fender bender (literally; the fender is very bent now) and when faced with the notion of perhaps finally giving up the little car that took us to Canada just last year, she actually teared up and cried a little.

So yeah, she's a keeper. As is Ben.

Neither she nor I think he's that ugly anymore, the look really grows on you.

Then a year after she got him, I got my GL! Which I may have to part with :( But let's focus on the positive haha :) Cheers.

never. i do get lots of thumbs up tho. funny thing, a guy and his wife were going by me in their blinged up escalade. he was rubbernecking the hell outta my brat while his wife never noticed. no way in hell will your wife allow my brat in your driveway dude, i was thinking to myself. brats are a special case i think.

The last time someone rubbernecked my wagon, with its miss matched doors and 2" lift covered in mildew, were two beautiful blonds giving me the look and showing off their thumbs. To hell with the haters. :banana: I had to blush!

As I strictly hang with car people I cannot say the Squirrel (80 Brat) has been hated on. But she sure does stick out like a sore thumb in my driveway and I absolutely love it!

I get more looks driving her than I did in my 2011 WRX. So glad I sold that WRX, lol.

I've got an '84 coupe 2wd 5spd with some rust, ticky lifters, rotted muffler, a backfiring problem, and that crappy feedback carb. I get all kindsa hell for driving that stinky machine. My friends really just think it's a piece of crap. But I can see the look of suprise in their eyes when it cranks up before the starter even makes a full turn.... :grin: The only 2 people that have ridden in it BOTH said it sounded like the tanks in Battlefield 3 (which they play often). Now THEY affectionately refer to it as the tank! :banana:

The last time someone rubbernecked my wagon' date=' with its miss matched doors and 2" lift covered in mildew, were two beautiful blonds giving me the look and showing off their thumbs. To hell with the haters. :banana: I had to blush![/quote']

HA! i have an '84 wagon, it's in very nice shape. I one time had a car full of cute girls hollering and giving me the "thumbs up". I suspect they were actually mocking me.