Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's Under The Hood????

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't look like an ea82t at all. Where did you get your piping, and intercooler? I must know. That looks SWEEEET!!!1111!!!

Also is that a vf34 turbo? did you make the flange? how much boost are you running? Man i'm speechless at how nice that looks.

thanks,

answers for you iluvdrt,

-Pipes are stainless mandrel bends from Jegs

-Intercooler is stock WRX tmic

-TDO4 turbo. and yes, I made the flange and an "up a little further pipe"

see it here: http://usmb.net/gallery/garners-sub-a-rama/uppipe2

Just 8 psi of boost right now, Seems like plenty for a rig that handles like a radio flyer wagon. more to come once she handles

garner

thanks,

answers for you iluvdrt,

-Pipes are stainless mandrel bends from Jegs

garner

Are they a custom order job, or things you pieced together? How much did the pipes, and joiners cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

So how does it perform?

It's hard to comprehend a gen 1 Brat screaming!

The Brat grahpics in place of the STI is great!

Looking good!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

I still have a bit of tuning to do. It seems like I occasionally, at random hit something that feels like boost cut at lower rpms. It's like hiting a wall. I'm guessing the fuel pressure can't keep up at times. When it works, it definately screams, as in breaks loose big time. I have to get front axles custom made so it's rear wheel drive now. Going to have to put some concrete in the bed to be able to hook up....

iluvdrt, the mandrel bends are here: http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1327&prmenbr=361

and the silicone tubes are here: http://www.hosetechniques.com/mainframe.html

the rest of the intercooler set up is made of some stock wrx bits and a modified samco y-pipe.

I won't tell you what I spent because I don't, nor do I want to know....

spanky_pete, hands off my woman!

garner

AAARGH my skin is pale sickly green from jealousy!!! all these cool one-off custom subarus running around and the general public has no idea, heh heh

what about a smaller master cylinder from a different car, or relocating the battery to the back for weight?

i think i need a towel, wait, now i know i need a towel. i now know what i should try for my next project.

are you running stock ea82t injectors? what about fuel management?

grrrr, i want

yes, stock injectors for now, stock ecu for now as well. megasquirt and megajolt bits on the way....bigger injectors and fuel rails to come. It seems I have fuel issues.......

baccaruda, the battery is under the bed, behind the passenger seat, wouldn't fit under the hood...thats the ea82t master cylinder with the ea71 vacuum assist....

Garner, I have to give it to you all hands down. You make my 78 turbo brat look like its nothing compared to yours, but how do you like hittin second gear and third ? well worth the time i would say. now i just need to come up with some more time and go into mine and get it all souped up but i dont think i am going to go with the intercooler as i am going to keep the spare tire location. Fixing to start another project "Thanks to Caleb" its a 87 or 88 wagon with an ej22 mated to a 5 speed d/r 4wd. But i dont know if i will use the wagon or the 83 brat yet. ]

But again, very nice work. wish i had taken the time to do all that, but if you stomp a mustang and show him your motor, he's going to know its modified. as with mine it looks like its all stock like it came that way. and they just look at you funny wanting to know where they can get one. icon14.gif

78turbobrat, Yep, the scoop and such loose the sleeper effect. then again the way this thing sounds with the cams, bigger turbo, exhaust, no way would anyone think it was stock....I'm still having some fuel delivery issue so 2nd and 3rd don't always pull smooth, I can guess it will be really loony toons crazy once she's all dialed..

bajavwsoobnut, get cuttin!! I think I know what your feelings are. I felt kind of bad cutting on a gen one, they are pretty rare and not getting any more common. I guess that's part of the reason I had to do the best fab job I could, (the other reason being the perfectionist thing....)

Rallyruss, the only issue I'm having is what seems to be something like fuel cut similar to the over boost safety cut out. This thing happens kind of randomly, generally after a good strong pull in 1st and starting a pull in second. Its like I hit a wall, let of the gas and get on it again and usually it goes. I'm guessing the fuel can't keep up... Perhaps I'll take this issue to subarutex's "ea82t tuning geniuses.... thread.

by the way, I don't think the TDO4 is a bad match for the ea82t, It seems to be a little laggy but starts to spool pretty good at 2500-3000 and pulls like a mofo. I think the monster tdo4 tratment would be good and I would seriously consider clipping and getting the shaft as balanced as possible to aid in spool up. A better header would help too.

garner

iluvdrt, the mandrel bends are here: http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1327&prmenbr=361

and the silicone tubes are here: http://www.hosetechniques.com/mainframe.html

the rest of the intercooler set up is made of some stock wrx bits and a modified samco y-pipe.

I won't tell you what I spent because I don't, nor do I want to know....

garner

Thanks, I may have try some things......:brow: