Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good god!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ricer: body kits/ body parts painted random primer colors, big wings pointed at awkward angles, terrible sounding "fart box" exhaust systems, oh, and heated springs for that low stiff ride

racer: go before show(in my book), "normal" sized spoilers, hmm, big fat intercoolers:brow: , stuff that makes the car perform, not drive by looking and sounding like a cessna hopping along the ground on a skateboard

-mike

Man, what's wrong with your medula oblongatas? 1 they are Subarus. 2. someone spent their time/money to upgrade their ride. I think it looks nice. It probably runs great too. Nothing wrong with looking good or running good. What I sense here is extreme jeleousy. If you could own that car and do the same I'd be willing to bet all of my money you would. Don't be a hater because they (Or their parents) can afford to not only buy the car but supe it up as well. Just because it is not 20 years old and rusty with over 200k on the clock doesn't mean it's not cool or it's not a good car. Some cars were made to be lifted while others were made to be lowered. It's the new trend. There are 4 kinds of people. the first kind who lifts their cars, the second kind lowers their cars, the third keeps theirs original and the fourth wishes and talks alot about doing one or all but never does any.

first car in the tread: definitely a ricer, for it had the hood painted a different color than the rest of the car. the impreza, however, despite its semi-ricer look, is fairly attractive as far as street cars go. im sure it can smoke the stock by far. it is all one color, and a car paint - not just primer.

IMO sleepers are truly the best. sure, you want your car to look good, but if it was stock and had all that stuff in there, thats when you really can get enjoyment from racing the nonbelievers.

I quess I was to much a CS to step up earier, so now I'm saying that I agree with Zap and Phat. Do you guys really know what they have done to these cars mechanically? I know they look a little cheesy but they may have also spent alot of $ underneath the cars too. Everyone has different tastes and alot of times you go with what your group/area of style dictates. I say, if you got it, flaunt it!

heh, I can't wait till people see my Brat when its done:D Dropped on airbags, layin frame down the road, light-up windshield washers, strobes, an RX fin, and many other things to come

so does that make my Brat right now a ricer? It has a black hood with a white stripe on it and the car is still brown....

Man, what's wrong with your medula oblongatas? 1 they are Subarus. 2. someone spent their time/money to upgrade their ride...

IMO I don't think that there's anyone reading this who has a problem with their medulla oblongata. They would be in no shape to be reading or posting, as they would be more concerned with keeping their heart and lungs working. Or, at best, trying to keep their other ANS functions from jamming. Yes, I'm a wise-rump roast, but I also used to do hormone research... I could make your neurons glow... Muhahaha....

Also IMO, if you've got the cash to pimp out a car, and I don't mean over a period of years, I mean in a matter of months or weeks, just buy a better car, for Goddess sake. I wouldn't buy either of the two cars linked to this thread. For the 11K the WRX is going for, drop a good down payment on a S4 and get fewer tickets. It's probably going to take me years to get the parts I want for my coupe, which is indeed a 18 year old rusty mother, but that's part of the challenge and contributes to why we want to be in the old gen forum. That's a whole different type of cool than what's shown on the cover of Sport Compact Car.

Jealous, I'm afraid not. As far as vehicles go, it either has to be pure unobtanium extoic, or art, for me to be jealous. The only sube I think that would qualify would be a six speed manual SVX, the other is a bike - Ducati MH900E.

Phatbrat, you forgot the third type of person... My type! The guy who has a lifted hatch and "Racer" wagon! Also, not to brag, but at the autocrosses I go to, none of the ricers can touch me in the WRX. You are right however about the jealousy. If I were offered that WRX, I would take it. Then trade the body kit for stock body work and maybe put the SPT body add ons onto the car. I would also not mount the gauges directly to the dash, maybe a subtle pod where the clock is? Sell the wheels for Volk racing 17"s and that type of stuff. Rice to me is a blanket statement. Most modified Hondas I see are "riced out". Most subes aren't. All go, no show for me please! But if it is light and makes the car faster as well as looking good then thats a bonus! (Carbon fiber hoods should be painted on the top, bare underneath!) Sorry for the rant! This topic strikes a nerve!

Whoh! this forum is about to turn into a real combat zone and were gona really need thos bullet-proof jackets. Im hearing beating on in-car entertainment, pride in your ride, and Civics, none of which I think should be dissed. Now, I personally dont approve of the ostentatious doo-dading of good cars. I think that the air dams and spoilers and sh*t-can exhausts degrade from the origional car. They are put there merely to draw attention to the normally attention starved ricer. Many ricers stop at the external appearances and the passenger compartment and forget about whats under the hood. This is where the problems start with the mostly mechanical minded people on this board. We can't see why money would be wasted on appearances when more actual preformance parts could be put on. I'm putting my effort into the interior of the car before the engine, but thats because I can do the interior for cheap and I've collected most of the parts off of junk piles or built them myself. Other parts were priced right and seemed useful, like the fridge and inverter. I'm waiting on the engine swap (ej22) because its new territory and I want to make sure its going to go as seamlessly as possibly when I do it. I want cool things like a PS2 in my car because they will be fun on long drives for the passengers. I want my car to be a good place to be, not just transport. And all the "looks like a civic" remarks. How many of you have actually put a civic through its paces? I've driven my sisters 93 Si hatch, one of the prime targets for ricers. Hers is completely stock, really nice, and fast. That car hold flat in the corners and accelerates real fast. She left it at my house and I took it out for a nite drive and pushed that thing. It can do 90 in 4th, which I know neither of my cars can, and thats from a measly 1.6 liter. They're good cars to start with, they just have a bad name because of what the ricers do to them. Now standing down from my soapbox.

I have to admit I didn't read all the replies in this post.

Cars that have had a lot of exterior modification draw attention, whether you like them or not, laugh or give a thumbs up, they do draw your eyes.

Everyones eyes. Including the police.

That is the main thing for me.

I once went to a RUSH concert in Albany and me and 4 other people rented a Chrysler minivan. So vanilla. We cruised down the Turnpike at 80+. Never caught anyones attention. Could we have done it in a tricked out Honda with bodykit and loud exhaust? I don't think so.

The cars I really notice are the ones that look stock put have some kind of tell... Something that a knowledgable person car see and know that it's been worked on. Like a bit of intercooler peeking out from the bumper, or a rollbar hiding in the cab, Stock wheels from another car of the same make that's a bit wider. The little things that only clue the people that know.

I build my cars for me. Screw the masses. It's mine.

My RX has had most all the spoilers and such removed. Looks like a DL. When I put the steel wheels on it it will look even more innocuous. It's not overtly loud and is very quiet when I'm off the throttle. Ask WJM, he's heard it.

Nothing to see here Mr. Nice Officer.

I dont' agree with some of the things I've seen people on this board do to their cars, but I'll give them credit for trying, even if I wouldn't go that route.

Jeez, I'm rambling. Jay

now, there is another type of car we're forgetting here... the pimp ride. THIS is the one with the really nice interior, lowered body, tinted windows, and extras beyond belief. this is the official 'my ride is better than your ride' car. or truck.

some people in their posts are confusing 'riced' with 'pimped'. a couple people on this board have pimped their rides out, such as GravelRX, Subaru_Styles, and probably more that im leaving out. 91loyale's on his way to a fine pimpmobile. and i think if you can do that to a subaru, more power to ya.

i think we've defined ricers in the previous posts to be/have:

Obnoxiously large spoiler

nasty sounding exhaust (with no evident pwr boost)

hood painted diff. color from body

lowered till it drags

japanese-made cars (usu. hondas)

pimp rides are/have:

lowered a good amount, yet not scraping metal... or plastic

hydraulics/air lifts

single color paint job

plush/fuzzy interior

enormous value in their i.c.e. and extra equipment

dubs

american-built cars (caddys for the pimp daddys)

lets not mix the two, eh?

Ok,

I started this fire, so heres some gas. Why am I doing this? Well, as some may know my car is pretty ricer for a ru. I didn't paint it, I didn't lower it, I baught it that way officer, It's a special edition. Agree with some. 91loyale I agree, whats with all the civic hang-ups? I drive a civic for a living, a 97 hatch CX with 240k on it. 100% stock. I pulled out the intake resinator as a farce in order to get people to race my civic to make my job more.... interesting. I must say for a CX its quite quick and can take similar cars in its class ie. older neons, saturns, cavilers and the like. Also, cheap, 4 cylinder, fairly easy to get mods for and widley distrubited..... kinda ... like .... subarus. gravelRX I personally disagree. Personally mind you, In my lowered yellow XT-6 thats loud mind you I have only gotten 1 BS ticket (no front plate). I might also point out that they were doing a "sting" as there was a lower primered body kited eclipse with green turns also pulled over. After inspecting my car that all he had. It did not break the noise barrier to his dismay. I have been pulled over about 5 times for various things in my Stock Focus which I no longer own. Got tickets for speeding at 1 in the morning, got tickets for keeping up with traffic, gotten pulled over for tint, and the XTs darker! SubaSkeet I also kinda disagree with one part where you say imports only (kinda) I personally believe that the new Cavilers (sp?) from Chevy with them body kits are very "ricer" stock, and the new saturns, and they put body kits on stock Foci now too and those are domestics. Domestic ricers are out there. Any way my personal thought is the reason that there are some many so called "ricer haters" on Subaru boards is not jelousy, but unavailability. I mean they made 1 body kit EVER for the XT and they stopped about 10 years ago. Its hard to make a subaru Ricer with out customizing things, plus we have to worry about keeping these things running right, they are old. Ok, enought rant for now, but 1 more question now. Answer this honestly now. How many of us Ricer dislikers out there that own subbis have either A. have an STi sticker on their car, or B have thought about it. Is that not ricer? Sti stickers don't make it so.

I'm gonna go get that fire truck now.,.....

Phil

Hey SubaSkeet the reason why that hood is the color that it is is cause of it's Carbon Fiber and I think they wanted it to be the natural color for cheapness and flashyness or if it has any go fast parts and they do run it on the track it can also be weight saving too cause of no paint (hey alot of people take weight savings to the extreme)

Hey SubaSkeet the reason why that hood is the color that it is is cause of it's Carbon Fiber and I think they wanted it to be the natural color for cheapness and flashyness or if it has any go fast parts and they do run it on the track it can also be weight saving too cause of no paint (hey alot of people take weight savings to the extreme)

yeah, like road bikers:lol:

-mike

i can get away with that comment, being the head mechanic at a bike shop an' all